2018 V Strom 1000 Build Quality - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2017+ DL1000A - 2017 (L7) and later

13Likes
  • 1 Post By Cambion
  • 5 Post By Spec
  • 1 Post By Griff2
  • 2 Post By elliotkw
  • 4 Post By Zipziggy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 05-16-2018, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Garage
2018 V Strom 1000 Build Quality

Hi everyone. I was wondering if any of you that own a 2018 DL1000 could comment on the bike's general build quality. I am looking to potentially switch from my '09 Wee to a '18 Vee. I am wanting something with a bit more power and I really like the look of the newer Stroms. I have heard some rumors that the newest generation does not have the same quality of non-engine components as the older generations. I have no idea how true these rumors are, so I figure I'd ask you all. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-16-2018, 12:40 PM
Stromthusiast!

I can't speak to long term quality of any of the components having only owned mine for a little over a month. However, so far, every piece of the new bike seems like an improvement over my '11 650. Might be worth asking the folks that have '14 - '16 models as most of the components are unchanged (the only real difference outside of color and beak / plastics shape is the Bosch IMU, I think. That's a pretty big upgrade in itself but it means there are a lot of common components and they've had them for a few years now.
dwayneh likes this.

-Cambion
2018 V-Strom 1000XT
2011 V-Strom 650A (Sold)

"Remember, you don't really own anything you can't carry at a dead run."
post #3 of 10 Old 05-16-2018, 12:43 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliotkw View Post
Hi everyone. I was wondering if any of you that own a 2018 DL1000 could comment on the bike's general build quality. I am looking to potentially switch from my '09 Wee to a '18 Vee. I am wanting something with a bit more power and I really like the look of the newer Stroms. I have heard some rumors that the newest generation does not have the same quality of non-engine components as the older generations. I have no idea how true these rumors are, so I figure I'd ask you all. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

This isn't going to help your specific question but hey...

Recently I got a 2014 DL 1000 and had it sitting next to my 2012 DL650 in my garage for a couple of weeks (until it sold).

I was impressed by the quality of all the components compared to the 650. Really everything about the bike was much nicer. It's more than the suspension, brakes, motor. Everywhere you look on the bike the components and fitment is better.

Don't know about the latest models but I don't see why they would be downgraded. Go find one and check it out.

The power on the 1000 is much more user friendly than the 650 to me. Much more torque and comes on lower in the power band compared to the 650. Makes for more relaxed riding vs. the twist the throttle all the time 650 (if that makes sense). The suspension and brakes are a couple of decades improved also.

Much nicer bike the 1000 is.
sempervee, Big B, Cambion and 2 others like this.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. 1 Cor 13:13

post #4 of 10 Old 05-16-2018, 02:47 PM
Stromthusiast!

I am happy with the build quality on my new 2016 model DL1000A. A friend has the Adventure 2017/2018 model and it is also holding up well. In the course of looking under the surface I am seeing quality as good as anything else out there. If not cared for properly any make will look very tatty after a couple of salty winters. I have seen a few of the so called top makes looking very poor indeed. Add to that a well proven and user friendly motor plus reasonably good OEM suspension and these bikes are good value for money.
dwayneh likes this.

Its never too late to have a happy childhood
post #5 of 10 Old 05-16-2018, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Garage
Thanks for the responses. Definitely eases my concerns.
Big B and basshead like this.
post #6 of 10 Old 05-17-2018, 12:25 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliotkw View Post
Thanks for the responses. Definitely eases my concerns.

Outstanding.

After owning several makes, I can say the Suzukiís I have owned, while the fit and finish was not at the level my BMWís were, it is more then acceptable and well in the norm for Japanese bikes. The quality of the components on the Suzukiís I have owned have been top notch however.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current ride:
2018 V Strom 1000 XT

Past rides:
Honda NX 125 enduro, Yamaha V-Star 650, Suzuki 1500 Intruder,
BMW R1150R, BMW K1200S,
Triumph Sprint ST 1050 (Caspian Blue), Triumph Sprint ST 1050 (Silver)
post #7 of 10 Old 05-18-2018, 01:53 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I haven't ridden the older V's ... but I love my 2018 DL 1000 ! Thought I might be overpaying and upselling myself with the Bosch IMU, and ABS, but after a 16 year old driver pulled out in front of me... she screamed thinking I was going to T bone her, no room to bank around... and wow, a handful of front brake is equalized in a matter of milliseconds... and I stopped safely from 30 mph/55 K to hear a verbal apology... works very well.. happy I bought the 1000 for those options alone ... and the engine torque is fun ... other controls have been excellent so far... but Ive only rode mine for 1500km ..trust this helps the many choices out there !
post #8 of 10 Old 05-18-2018, 09:08 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipziggy View Post
I haven't ridden the older V's ... but I love my 2018 DL 1000 ! Thought I might be overpaying and upselling myself with the Bosch IMU, and ABS, but after a 16 year old driver pulled out in front of me... she screamed thinking I was going to T bone her, no room to bank around... and wow, a handful of front brake is equalized in a matter of milliseconds... and I stopped safely from 30 mph/55 K to hear a verbal apology... works very well.. happy I bought the 1000 for those options alone ... and the engine torque is fun ... other controls have been excellent so far... but Ive only rode mine for 1500km ..trust this helps the many choices out there !
Glad to hear that that was just a close call and not something much worse. The more advanced ABS system, along with the TC, were definitely significant factors in my decision to upgrade from my older 650 (which did have the old / more basic ABS system).

-Cambion
2018 V-Strom 1000XT
2011 V-Strom 650A (Sold)

"Remember, you don't really own anything you can't carry at a dead run."
post #9 of 10 Old 05-18-2018, 12:34 PM
$tromtrooper

Cool

I've purchased new both an 04 and 07 DL1000. I put on combined mileage of about 50,000 miles. It is the only MC that I had to replace leaking water pump seals and the ignition key lock go wonky. The hand controls while effective are too cheaply made for the price of the bike in comparison to European bikes that I have owned. The plastic body parts should also be thicker *Yet I am hoping for a better experience with a new and 3rd DL1000 sometime in the future. I am keeping my Victory CCT for 2 up comfortable riding but will have the Strom for my hooligan go anywhere bike. :^)

Riding since 1973

If Evolution is outlawed... Only outlaws will Evolve.

* 2012 V I C T O R Y Cross Country Tour
2007 1000 " VroomHilda"
2007 Moto Guzzi 1200 Norge - La Dolce Vita
post #10 of 10 Old 06-01-2018, 11:44 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipziggy View Post
I'm very glad to hear that the ABS / Bosch IMU worked as advertised as well I too just upgraded to the 1000 XT (yesterday) primarily for those features. My '07 Wee lacked the ABS, and I've locked them up a few times, but thankfully never went down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode