SW-MOTECH Quick-Lock EVO Side Carriers - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2017+ DL1000A - 2017 (L7) and later

 3Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 05-14-2018, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ashburn, VA
Posts: 212
SW-MOTECH Quick-Lock EVO Side Carriers

So, for those who are interested, I finally received these for my '18 XT today. Unfortunately I can't finish the installation because two of the bolts that they provide aren't the right kind. If you look at their online instructions part #12 is a pair of M8 60mm ISO 7380 bolts. In the picture the bolt is full thread but what is in the kit is half thread which won't work to replace the OEM bolt through the passenger foot peg bracket. It's the right size and thread type but it being half thread vs full thread means it goes in half way and stops where the threads stop which isn't all the way, or even far enough to mount the bracket for the carrier in any way.

Of course M8 full thread screws aren't that common around here, I ordered some from a local shop and should have them tomorrow, at which point I'll post an update.

Oh, those bolts are also silver which is fine for '14-'16 bikes but the 17-18 bikes have a black sub-frame and black passenger footpeg brackets. It seems like SW-Motech, like some other manufacturers, rushed to stamp these racks as compatible with the new bikes but didn't actually do their due diligence in checking.

-Cambion
2018 V-Strom 1000XT
2011 V-Strom 650A (Sold)

"Remember, you don't really own anything you can't carry at a dead run."
Cambion is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 Old 05-16-2018, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ashburn, VA
Posts: 212
Quick update: The local Fastenal branch ordered the wrong size screws, they ordered 90mm so had to reorder. In the meantime I had sent Twisted Throttle and SW-Motech an email just to let them know that they should review the side carriers' parts list. Unexpectedly TT customer service responded and shipped me out a set of replacement screws, which should be here tomorrow. And just because I'm going on a trip next week and really want these mounted I ordered a couple more from mcmaster just to be absolutely sure I had a pair of the correct size/thread before then.

In reality, (assuming it wasn't just an error in the kit I received) for model year '17- V-Stroms versus the '12-'16, there should either be a different part number entirely for these side carriers or the kit should include the correct length and color screws for both, due to the fact that the rear subframe and passenger footpeg brackets are silver on the earlier models and black on the current / later models.

I'd be interested in hearing whether anyone else who ordered these racks has / had the same problem.
dwayneh likes this.

-Cambion
2018 V-Strom 1000XT
2011 V-Strom 650A (Sold)

"Remember, you don't really own anything you can't carry at a dead run."
Cambion is offline  
post #3 of 15 Old 05-17-2018, 12:42 PM
$tromtrooper
 
dwayneh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Innisfil, Ontario Canada
Posts: 373
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambion View Post
Quick update: The local Fastenal branch ordered the wrong size screws, they ordered 90mm so had to reorder. In the meantime I had sent Twisted Throttle and SW-Motech an email just to let them know that they should review the side carriers' parts list. Unexpectedly TT customer service responded and shipped me out a set of replacement screws, which should be here tomorrow. And just because I'm going on a trip next week and really want these mounted I ordered a couple more from mcmaster just to be absolutely sure I had a pair of the correct size/thread before then.

In reality, (assuming it wasn't just an error in the kit I received) for model year '17- V-Stroms versus the '12-'16, there should either be a different part number entirely for these side carriers or the kit should include the correct length and color screws for both, due to the fact that the rear subframe and passenger footpeg brackets are silver on the earlier models and black on the current / later models.

I'd be interested in hearing whether anyone else who ordered these racks has / had the same problem.
I was warned online in one of my threads, by another Stromtrooper that this was an issue. I have since orderd the correct full thread m8x60 from Amazon. Since my EVO racks are still on back order for the next week, I should have these screws in before I receive the racks. As an aside, I just ordered my left Motech Trax ADV side case. Ordering the right side in a couple weeks. This is in effort to keep the Wife-Unit happy

Current ride:
2018 V Strom 1000 XT

Past rides:
Honda NX 125 enduro, Yamaha V-Star 650, Suzuki 1500 Intruder,
BMW R1150R, BMW K1200S,
Triumph Sprint ST 1050 (Caspian Blue), Triumph Sprint ST 1050 (Silver)
dwayneh is offline  
 
post #4 of 15 Old 05-18-2018, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ashburn, VA
Posts: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayneh View Post
I was warned online in one of my threads, by another Stromtrooper that this was an issue. I have since orderd the correct full thread m8x60 from Amazon. Since my EVO racks are still on back order for the next week, I should have these screws in before I receive the racks. As an aside, I just ordered my left Motech Trax ADV side case. Ordering the right side in a couple weeks. This is in effort to keep the Wife-Unit happy
I got the correct (60mm full thread) screws yesterday but didn't have a lot of time to mess with the bike. I did notice, however, that the rear crossbar that mounts to the tail fender doesn't have holes in it to match the two holes that the U.S. license plate bracket uses. A pair of 1/4" x (I think it was) 1.5" stainless screws solved that problem for me. I drilled the two holes into the plastic fender per the instructions and then used the longer screws to go through the license plate bracket then through the SW-Motech crossbar and through the newly drilled holes in the fender. This seems to work fine.

However, test fitting the racks or at least attempting to, reveals yet another issue. The U.S. license plate bracket (which I assume is the same across the U.S.) has two red reflectors mounted on its sides. The bracket and the reflectors are in the way of the mounting holes for the side carrier's quick-disconnects on that crossbar. I removed the reflectors (they're not a legal requirement in my state, but they are in some others I believe) and bent the bracket so that the ends, which are normally at 90 degrees from the rest of the bracket, were far enough out of the way. I may go back and cut those ends off and find or fabricate an alternate way to mount those reflectors. I'm thinking a simple bracket attached via the two bottom holes on the license plate.

I did get the racks test fit and in spite of these issues I'm pretty happy with them. Unlike what others have said, they are not wide / far out from the bike at all. That was true on the older V-Stroms due to the high mounted exhaust but is not the case here.

Finally, I also noticed that I did not have to push the exhaust can down in order to fit the Trax ADV cases. I'm wondering if anyone else did or did not have to relocate / lower the exhaust can either on a '17-'18 model or a '14-'16 model. There's not a ton of space but there is some space there, at least 1.5" - 2" maybe more. Again, I didn't have enough time to mess with it as much as I wanted to. There may be reasons to move it anyway, such as heat, but I'm not sure.

I will post up some pictures later in case they're helpful to anyone.
dwayneh likes this.

-Cambion
2018 V-Strom 1000XT
2011 V-Strom 650A (Sold)

"Remember, you don't really own anything you can't carry at a dead run."
Cambion is offline  
post #5 of 15 Old 05-18-2018, 04:06 PM
$tromtrooper
 
dwayneh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Innisfil, Ontario Canada
Posts: 373
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambion View Post
I got the correct (60mm full thread) screws yesterday but didn't have a lot of time to mess with the bike. I did notice, however, that the rear crossbar that mounts to the tail fender doesn't have holes in it to match the two holes that the U.S. license plate bracket uses. A pair of 1/4" x (I think it was) 1.5" stainless screws solved that problem for me. I drilled the two holes into the plastic fender per the instructions and then used the longer screws to go through the license plate bracket then through the SW-Motech crossbar and through the newly drilled holes in the fender. This seems to work fine.



However, test fitting the racks or at least attempting to, reveals yet another issue. The U.S. license plate bracket (which I assume is the same across the U.S.) has two red reflectors mounted on its sides. The bracket and the reflectors are in the way of the mounting holes for the side carrier's quick-disconnects on that crossbar. I removed the reflectors (they're not a legal requirement in my state, but they are in some others I believe) and bent the bracket so that the ends, which are normally at 90 degrees from the rest of the bracket, were far enough out of the way. I may go back and cut those ends off and find or fabricate an alternate way to mount those reflectors. I'm thinking a simple bracket attached via the two bottom holes on the license plate.



I did get the racks test fit and in spite of these issues I'm pretty happy with them. Unlike what others have said, they are not wide / far out from the bike at all. That was true on the older V-Stroms due to the high mounted exhaust but is not the case here.



Finally, I also noticed that I did not have to push the exhaust can down in order to fit the Trax ADV cases. I'm wondering if anyone else did or did not have to relocate / lower the exhaust can either on a '17-'18 model or a '14-'16 model. There's not a ton of space but there is some space there, at least 1.5" - 2" maybe more. Again, I didn't have enough time to mess with it as much as I wanted to. There may be reasons to move it anyway, such as heat, but I'm not sure.



I will post up some pictures later in case they're helpful to anyone.


Please do. I?ll be going through this in a couple weeks once my racks ship.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current ride:
2018 V Strom 1000 XT

Past rides:
Honda NX 125 enduro, Yamaha V-Star 650, Suzuki 1500 Intruder,
BMW R1150R, BMW K1200S,
Triumph Sprint ST 1050 (Caspian Blue), Triumph Sprint ST 1050 (Silver)
dwayneh is offline  
post #6 of 15 Old 05-18-2018, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ashburn, VA
Posts: 212
Okay, I had a little time to finish mounting these and snap a few pictures. Upon closer inspection, and as the pictures will show, while the cases do fit without moving the exhaust it's very close. Maybe not a problem given they're aluminum but I chose to go ahead and follow the instructions and move the can down a bit anyway.

This pic shows the rack before moving the exhaust down:


This pic shows the rack after moving the exhaust down:


And with the Trax ADV case on (with the exhaust moved; you can see the supplied bracket):


This shows the problem with the license plate bracket and the mounted reflectors. I bent the bracket to make it work for the moment but I'm going to just cut the ends off and fabricate or find a solution to re-mount the reflectors using the bottom two holes of the license plate.


-Cambion
2018 V-Strom 1000XT
2011 V-Strom 650A (Sold)

"Remember, you don't really own anything you can't carry at a dead run."

Last edited by Cambion; 05-18-2018 at 07:06 PM.
Cambion is offline  
post #7 of 15 Old 05-18-2018, 07:44 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Snownut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Land of the Beehive
Posts: 290
Garage
That surprises me, my history with them has always been stellar. They're the only racks I use..

2014 Suzuki V-Strom DL1000 (Desi)
2014 Suzuki V-Strom DL1000 (Delilah) Rental
2013 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Misty)
2010 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Army (Greta)
2007 Suzuki GS500E (Gina)
1987 Yamaha TW200 (Tina)
Snownut is offline  
post #8 of 15 Old 05-21-2018, 05:48 PM
$tromtrooper
 
dwayneh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Innisfil, Ontario Canada
Posts: 373
Garage
For those that ordered this system, you ordered a 45l for the left, and the 37l for the right?

Current ride:
2018 V Strom 1000 XT

Past rides:
Honda NX 125 enduro, Yamaha V-Star 650, Suzuki 1500 Intruder,
BMW R1150R, BMW K1200S,
Triumph Sprint ST 1050 (Caspian Blue), Triumph Sprint ST 1050 (Silver)
dwayneh is offline  
post #9 of 15 Old 05-25-2018, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ashburn, VA
Posts: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayneh View Post
For those that ordered this system, you ordered a 45l for the left, and the 37l for the right?
I have 37L on both sides.

-Cambion
2018 V-Strom 1000XT
2011 V-Strom 650A (Sold)

"Remember, you don't really own anything you can't carry at a dead run."
Cambion is offline  
post #10 of 15 Old 05-26-2018, 07:54 AM
$tromtrooper
 
dwayneh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Innisfil, Ontario Canada
Posts: 373
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambion View Post
I have 37L on both sides.


But doesnít one side stick out further then the other? The racks that is.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current ride:
2018 V Strom 1000 XT

Past rides:
Honda NX 125 enduro, Yamaha V-Star 650, Suzuki 1500 Intruder,
BMW R1150R, BMW K1200S,
Triumph Sprint ST 1050 (Caspian Blue), Triumph Sprint ST 1050 (Silver)
dwayneh is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome