Givi Trekker Outback vs. SW-Motech Trax ADV - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2017+ DL1000A - 2017 (L7) and later

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old 04-24-2018, 06:16 AM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Garage
Givi Trekker Outback vs. SW-Motech Trax ADV

Looking at replacing my stock system cases. Not that I don't think Suzuki did a good job designing these, I just REALLY like the look of the aluminum and top-loading features of the Givi and SW-Motech. I also looked at Jesse luggage, but I really do not care for the mounting solution from Jesse Luggage. I'm sure I read somewhere that the SW-Motech rack has adapters for other manufacturers bags, and I THINK they have one for Jesse. I do not know this for sure though.
I have some questions:

From those who have either; why did you select the one you have?
What size did you go with, both the same or asymmetrical?
To me from what I can see, the SW-Motech has the more robust mounting system. Though the Givi looks good, I just like the way the Motech rack is easy to remove if for some reason you want to ride sans cases and rack.

Any and all feedback regarding these two would be appreciated.

Current ride:
2018 V Strom 1000 XT

Past rides:
Honda NX 125 enduro, Yamaha V-Star 650, Suzuki 1500 Intruder,
BMW R1150R, BMW K1200S,
Triumph Sprint ST 1050 (Caspian Blue), Triumph Sprint ST 1050 (Silver)

Last edited by dwayneh; 04-24-2018 at 09:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 04-24-2018, 10:04 AM
Stromthusiast!

I'm not an owner, but have been looking at both systems for a little while now. What I've seen as the weakest point of the Givi system are the plastic mounting points that are attached to the back of the boxes. SW-Motech uses a metal system and I think the rivets holding it are more robust. I bought the Givi Dolomiti boxes and was concerned about the plastic mounts, but I looked at the Outbacks in comparison and it looks like they use the same system. I figured that if they use the same mounts from the "budget" Dolomitis as their Outbacks, the system must be pretty good. Still, I had that shred of doubt. Either way, I got a fantastic deal on them and I travel very light, so I'm hoping that they hold up. If not, I'm clever enough to fix it.

A few days later I found this video. I would suspect that they massively overpacked this bike (riding two up), but a few others on the forums have mentioned these plastic mounting brackets breaking off.

(I can't share the video link because my post count isn't high enough) So search "Around Gaia Hitchhiking in Mexico" and it'll come up.

My Dolomiti boxes are in the USA and I won't have a chance to get my hands on them until I get back next month, so if you're still on the fence by then, I can give you a better idea of my experience when I get back.
dwayneh likes this.
post #3 of 29 Old 04-24-2018, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg the Explorer View Post
I'm not an owner, but have been looking at both systems for a little while now. What I've seen as the weakest point of the Givi system are the plastic mounting points that are attached to the back of the boxes. SW-Motech uses a metal system and I think the rivets holding it are more robust. I bought the Givi Dolomiti boxes and was concerned about the plastic mounts, but I looked at the Outbacks in comparison and it looks like they use the same system. I figured that if they use the same mounts from the "budget" Dolomitis as their Outbacks, the system must be pretty good. Still, I had that shred of doubt. Either way, I got a fantastic deal on them and I travel very light, so I'm hoping that they hold up. If not, I'm clever enough to fix it.

A few days later I found this video. I would suspect that they massively overpacked this bike (riding two up), but a few others on the forums have mentioned these plastic mounting brackets breaking off.

(I can't share the video link because my post count isn't high enough) So search "Around Gaia Hitchhiking in Mexico" and it'll come up.

My Dolomiti boxes are in the USA and I won't have a chance to get my hands on them until I get back next month, so if you're still on the fence by then, I can give you a better idea of my experience when I get back.

Thank you very kindly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current ride:
2018 V Strom 1000 XT

Past rides:
BMW R1150R, BMW K1200S,

post #4 of 29 Old 04-24-2018, 10:32 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayneh View Post
Looking at replacing my stock system cases. Not that I don't think Suzuki did a good job designing these, I just REALLY like the look of the aluminum and top-loading features of the Givi and SW-Motech. I also looked at Jesse luggage, but I really do not care for the mounting solution from Jesse Luggage. I'm sure I read somewhere that the SW-Motech rack has adapters for other manufacturers bags, and I THINK they have one for Jesse. I do not know this for sure though.
I have some questions:

From those who have either; why did you select the one you have?
What size did you go with, both the same or asymmetrical?
To me from what I can see, the SW-Motech has the more robust mounting system. Though the Givi looks good, I just like the way the Motech rack is easy to remove if for some reason you want to ride sans cases and rack.

Any and all feedback regarding these two would be appreciated.
If you end up getting some other cases, would you be interested in selling those OEM?

Toronto, Canada
------------------
2015 V-Strom 1000
post #5 of 29 Old 04-24-2018, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddybane View Post
If you end up getting some other cases, would you be interested in selling those OEM?

They are listed on the For sale page. Should be at the top.

Current ride:
2018 V Strom 1000 XT

Past rides:
BMW R1150R, BMW K1200S,
post #6 of 29 Old 04-24-2018, 10:50 AM
Stromthusiast!

I've had the Give Trekker Outback systems for a while (this is my 3rd year) and they are very solid. I had a full camping load last May on the Trans Labrador highway (at least 50% gravel) and had no issues. The cases are very strong and lock solidly. Easy on/off and you can strap stuff on top of them.
The only thing I've replaced was a small spacer which I was able to buy from Revzilla,
https://www.revzilla.com/search?_utf...SHROOM+SPACERS
It did not break, the screw that holds it vibrated off when the cases weren't mounted. Simply replacing the screw would have sufficed in a pinch.
Great system, try to see them in person compared to some of the lesser crap that's out there.
Greg the Explorer likes this.

Henry

"Rock bottom will teach you lessons that mountain tops never will..."

2016 V-Strom DL650 (red) 'Sweetness'
2011 V-Strom DL650 (white)
post #7 of 29 Old 04-24-2018, 11:34 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank122 View Post
The only thing I've replaced was a small spacer which I was able to buy from Revzilla,
https://www.revzilla.com/search?_utf...SHROOM+SPACERS
$4.50 for a molded rubber spacer . That's daylight robbery particularly after the initial investment in Givi cases.
post #8 of 29 Old 04-24-2018, 12:22 PM
Stromthusiast!

Bought the Kappa cases from Motostorm in Italy, exactly the same as Givi but $200.00 cheaper. Did however, use the Givi rack and has not been a problem. Might look at them for a comparison sake..... just a thought
post #9 of 29 Old 04-24-2018, 04:28 PM
Stromthusiast!

I'm in the same exact boat. I've used the SW-Motech quick-disconnect racks and Trax EVO boxes on my 650 for years and been very happy with them. I ordered the new racks for my new '18 1000 but was planning to keep my old EVO boxes. It's looking like the buyer of my 650 is going to want my old boxes as well so I'm probably going to be ordering the new boxes soon too. I'm probably going to stick with the SW-Motech myself but I think they're both quality products.

I'm not sure who the CA distributor is but the racks are on back order through Twisted Throttle (the US distributor) with stock not expected until late May.
dwayneh likes this.

-Cambion
2018 V-Strom 1000XT
2011 V-Strom 650A (Sold)

"Remember, you don't really own anything you can't carry at a dead run."
post #10 of 29 Old 04-24-2018, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambion View Post
I'm in the same exact boat. I've used the SW-Motech quick-disconnect racks and Trax EVO boxes on my 650 for years and been very happy with them. I ordered the new racks for my new '18 1000 but was planning to keep my old EVO boxes. It's looking like the buyer of my 650 is going to want my old boxes as well so I'm probably going to be ordering the new boxes soon too. I'm probably going to stick with the SW-Motech myself but I think they're both quality products.

I'm not sure who the CA distributor is but the racks are on back order through Twisted Throttle (the US distributor) with stock not expected until late May.

Twisted Throttle Canada is our supplier for the SW Motech luggage. There are others here, such as Fort Nine.

Quick question: which is better, the new Ion series or the EXO Adv cases? I BELIEVE the Ion replaces and has some issues fixed or changed from the last generation from SW Motech, but I have not owned SW Motech system cases before so I have nothing to base an opinion on other then watching and reading the view points from Revzilla.

Current ride:
2018 V Strom 1000 XT

Past rides:
BMW R1150R, BMW K1200S,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode