Givi Trekker Outback vs. SW-Motech Trax ADV - Page 2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2017+ DL1000A - 2017 (L7) and later

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 29 Old 04-24-2018, 06:13 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayneh View Post
Twisted Throttle Canada is our supplier for the SW Motech luggage. There are others here, such as Fort Nine.

Quick question: which is better, the new Ion series or the EXO Adv cases? I BELIEVE the Ion replaces and has some issues fixed or changed from the last generation from SW Motech, but I have not owned SW Motech system cases before so I have nothing to base an opinion on other then watching and reading the view points from Revzilla.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, in the case of the side cases the ION replaces the original EVOs and they are reportedly a slight upgrade from them. The TRAX ADVs meanwhile are their "premium" side case. Whether or not the ADVs are worth the price premium over the ION is an open question, I think. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of reviews out there on either of them yet. There's one direct comparison video between the two on Youtube but it's in Greek. Anyone speak Greek who can translate for us?
dwayneh likes this.

-Cambion
2018 V-Strom 1000XT
2011 V-Strom 650A (Sold)

"Remember, you don't really own anything you can't carry at a dead run."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 Old 04-24-2018, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambion View Post
Yes, in the case of the side cases the ION replaces the original EVOs and they are reportedly a slight upgrade from them. The TRAX ADVs meanwhile are their "premium" side case. Whether or not the ADVs are worth the price premium over the ION is an open question, I think. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of reviews out there on either of them yet. There's one direct comparison video between the two on Youtube but it's in Greek. Anyone speak Greek who can translate for us?
It's all Greek to me... LOL

Current ride:
2018 V Strom 1000 XT

Past rides:
Honda NX 125 enduro, Yamaha V-Star 650, Suzuki 1500 Intruder,
BMW R1150R, BMW K1200S,
Triumph Sprint ST 1050 (Caspian Blue), Triumph Sprint ST 1050 (Silver)
post #13 of 29 Old 04-24-2018, 09:37 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:

Another thing to think about would be the long term usage for soft luggage too. Has anyone ever had issues with solid attachments of soft luggage to SW Motech racks? (Outside of Mosko who uses a proprietary attachment system)

The SW racks have an odd shape.

post #14 of 29 Old 04-24-2018, 09:56 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddybane View Post
If you end up getting some other cases, would you be interested in selling those OEM?

If the op does not want to sell his oem cases . I have a set I would part with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #15 of 29 Old 04-24-2018, 09:59 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Garage
I have the Givi Trekker Outback cases and HATE them... I believe you mentioned doing some long 2 up trips, these cases and possibly others of this style will leave very little leg room for the passenger. I had some plates custom made to try and fix the issue by lowering the cases. I have not tried them yet though. If you are going to be close to Kingston send me a PM and you can check them out on my bike and see what you think. Even if you are not doing 2up, they situp so much higher then the seat that they make getting on/off the bike a pain.

On my 2014 I had the Shad SH36. They didn't hold nearly as much but where a much better design for 2up riding.

heck I dislike them so much i'd consider selling you them! haha

2018 Vstrom 1000
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Nomad
post #16 of 29 Old 04-25-2018, 09:29 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
There's one direct comparison video between the two on Youtube but it's in Greek. Anyone speak Greek who can translate for us?
Sure, is "SW Motech TraX ADV vs GIVI Trekker Outback vs Hepco Xplorer 30 review by MotoRAID (Greek)" the video you refer to?
I think I can provide a summary in the weekend
Cambion likes this.
post #17 of 29 Old 04-25-2018, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
The build quality and toughness of the cases between Motech and Givi is very obvious IMHO.....go with the Givi. The Motech racks are also very wide and don't fit close to the bike, Givi racks on the other hand are very close into the bike and not nearly as wide.
Greg the Explorer likes this.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #18 of 29 Old 04-25-2018, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Garage
Givi Trekker Outback vs. SW-Motech Trax ADV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B View Post
The build quality and toughness of the cases between Motech and Givi is very obvious IMHO.....go with the Givi. The Motech racks are also very wide and don't fit close to the bike, Givi racks on the other hand are very close into the bike and not nearly as wide.

Lol. When I look at the two products, I also see a discrepancy in quality, or better, toughness. Though from how I am looking at the two, the Givi is lacking. I will look at both with fresh eyes, see if I can see your points.

Edit: I remember why I am leaning to the SW...the mounting system. The SW mount seems stronger, no plastic bits and should I ever choose to remove the mount it’s dead easy. I do recall some negative feedback regarding the Givi mount system. That was a big detractor for me. I realize SW has adapter plates for Givi cases, but I prefer not to have to use an intermediary solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current ride:
2018 V Strom 1000 XT

Past rides:
Honda NX 125 enduro, Yamaha V-Star 650, Suzuki 1500 Intruder,
BMW R1150R, BMW K1200S,
Triumph Sprint ST 1050 (Caspian Blue), Triumph Sprint ST 1050 (Silver)

Last edited by dwayneh; 04-25-2018 at 10:25 AM.
post #19 of 29 Old 04-25-2018, 10:32 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzol View Post
Sure, is "SW Motech TraX ADV vs GIVI Trekker Outback vs Hepco Xplorer 30 review by MotoRAID (Greek)" the video you refer to?
I think I can provide a summary in the weekend
Yup, that's the one!

-Cambion
2018 V-Strom 1000XT
2011 V-Strom 650A (Sold)

post #20 of 29 Old 04-25-2018, 10:40 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B View Post
I'm surprised to hear this. I can't speak to the new rack or the ADV cases but the quick disconnect EVO racks I have on my '11 650 and the EVO cases have survived (and protected the bike from damage) in three drops; one low speed on dirt and two at a standstill. (Yea, there's a story for each... ) They're definitely tough enough for my use which, granted, is limited to commuting and the occasional road trip and does not include hardcore adventuring.

I should have the new SW-Motech racks by late next week so I can post pics then but I'm surprised to hear that you think they are very wide. The old ones certainly were but that was largely a function of the old exhaust position. The new ones sit above the exhaust so they're a lot closer to the bike. I didn't look that closely to compare them to the GIVI so maybe the GIVI are closer.
dwayneh likes this.

-Cambion
2018 V-Strom 1000XT
2011 V-Strom 650A (Sold)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode