Rear Brake Light Adjustment Needed - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2017+ DL1000A - 2017 (L7) and later

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ron Strommer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 04-14-2018, 01:22 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Rear Brake Light Adjustment Needed

I just got the bike and found that the rear brake light is not activating until I push very hard on the pedal, much harder than I would normally use the brake. I cannot find any kind of switch to adjust.

Above the rear of the pedal there is a metal shaft that goes into the brake actuator. At the base there are two nuts on either side of a bracket but I believe these adjust the pedal position only. In any case the top nut will not come loose at all for me to give it a tray.

Any ideas if that will adjust when the brake light is activated or is there a switch hiding somewhere?

Thx

Ron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-14-2018, 02:31 AM
Stromthusiast!

There is a switch above the brake pedal, with black plastic nut on top of it. If you start pressing the pedal, you'll see that there is very tiny spring attached to the top of the pedal. The spring is pointing upwards. Follow the spring and you'll see on the other end of it the switch with black plastic nut. Now, there is no way you can reach the nut with any wrench because the space is very tight. I hardly remember how I adjusted mine. It certainly needed a lot of adjustment, just like yours. I know I did it without wrench. I think I disconnected the spring from the pedal's end, turned the nut few turns with my fingers or just a screwdriver, then put the spring back. And I did it few times until I reached desired result.

2017 DL1000 White
2014 DL1000 Red (sold)
2012 DL650 White (sold)
post #3 of 6 Old 04-14-2018, 02:35 AM
Stromthusiast!

On the brake pedal, just in front of the footpeg, you will see a spring attached. This goes up to the switch which is hidden behind the bike frame. I found it a real pain to adjust. I had success in the end by first disconnecting the spring at the brake lever and turning the switch unit by going in from the back above the swing arm and using my left hand.

DL1000A 2014
previously DL650K6

post #4 of 6 Old 04-14-2018, 07:02 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Turn the large black plastic six sided nut anti-clockwise (as looking from the top) to bring the nut up the threaded shaft so as to make it activate sooner.
It is a PITA (or rather the fingers) to do it by hand. Turn it 2 turns and check the effect.

2010 Weestrom; 2017 Kawasaki Versys-X300; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100
post #5 of 6 Old 04-14-2018, 08:22 AM
Stromthusiast!

Pages 7-38 and 7-39 in the owners manual explain how to adjust both the brake pedal height and the brake light switch. I have an open-end 17mm wrench with a 2 1/2" long handle I made a long time ago by cutting it off the end of a combination wrench for adjusting a brake light switch on another bike I owned, It a tight fit, but it works great for turning the plastic adjusting nut on the brake light switch on my DL1000.

Follow the spring that's attached to the brake lever, as the other end is connected to the brake light switch.

2018 black DL1000XA with Arrow header, Holeshot slip-on, mag rims w/silver rim tape, Custom Lamm seat, Aprilia Tuono mirrors, V-Stream sport screen, Givi hugger, Cox radiator guard and lots of custom parts and mods

2007 Suzuki Candy Sonoma Red naked Bandit 1250S/AK7.

Last edited by MetrickMetal; 04-14-2018 at 08:33 AM.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-14-2018, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetrickMetal View Post
Pages 7-38 and 7-39 in the owners manual explain how to adjust both the brake pedal height and the brake light switch.
Ugh, now I feel stupid. I'm usually the "just check the darn manual" guy. For some reason I "ASSuMEd" something like that wouldn't be in there.

Thanks everyone.

Ron
MetrickMetal likes this.

Last edited by Ron Strommer; 04-14-2018 at 06:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode