Two up long distance - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2017+ DL1000A - 2017 (L7) and later

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 04-11-2018, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Two up long distance

I am new to this forum.I am currently in the market for a replacement for my Triumph 1200 Explorer which was originally purchased as a two up tourer and was an excellent one at that. However the years have caught up with me and I now struggle with its weight two up.

The 2017/8 DL1000 is very high on the list of possible replacements as is its little brother the DL650. My question, how good are these bikes as two up long distance tourers. My main concern is pillion comfort for my Wife who has back issues from time to time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-11-2018, 03:53 PM
Stromthusiast!

This was one of the main reasons why I bought DL1000 although many will confirm that 650 will do just fine. Last summer I went on two long distance trips with my better half, averaging 600-700 km per day. The bike was fully loaded (side cases, top box and tank bag) and performed flawlessly. I have a stock seat and the only thing I added was a Shad top case backrest (huge improvement for a passenger). My wife was perfectly comfortable, didn't complain at all and trust me she can be quite picky. I don't want to sound too subjective but the extra power of 1000 and a slightly better suspension comes very handy on these two up trips.
davidprej and MariusD like this.

Toronto, Canada
------------------
2015 V-Strom 1000
post #3 of 15 Old 04-11-2018, 04:13 PM
cls
Stromthusiast!

We haven't done a true long distance trip (e.g. cross-country) but my gf claims that she's very comfortable on the back of my 2012 DL650. (She fell asleep back there once so apparently. :-D) I have the Canyon Dual Sport Saddle Corbin Seat & a Bestem T-Box with a back rest. Last summer, we rode from San Diego up to San Luis Obispo (just over 300mi) and then up & down the central coast for a couple of days. Around 850mi for the extended weekend. The bike handled fine once I adjusted to having a passenger.

2016 Triumph Thunderbird LT (Eastern Beaver 3CS, Tsukayu Jumbo Strong bags)
2012 Suzuki DL650 (OEM Centerstand, OEM Heated Grips, Bestem T-Box 929 top case, EasternBeaver 3CS + Brake/Tail Adapter, Givi Crash Bars, EnduroGuardian Skid Plate & Radiator Guard, Givi E45NJ side cases, Rick's Fork Brace, Corbin Seat, SW-Motech Auxiliary Light Mount, Barkbusters)
2006 Buell XB12X
1978 Honda CB550 (circa 1994) :angel_0:

post #4 of 15 Old 04-11-2018, 04:26 PM
Stromthusiast!

My girlfriend and I did quite a bit of long distance two-up touring on my 2012 DL650. She told me she was pretty comfortable on the stock seat, and had lots of room to move around. She's pretty slender, but when we had a Harley Road King, she was actually more cramped and there was a lot less space between us. The hardest thing about that bike for her (and she has the same problem as she does on my Super Tenere) is getting on and off the bike because it sits so high. She always waits until I get on the bike, they she does a Rockettes style high kick to get her leg over the pillion part of the saddle. She then slides onto her seat. I've given up trying to teach her to stand on the footpegs to get on, or at least get on first on the lower front part of the seat and slide back.

Her one complaint was when we were on the interstate and getting knocked around by the dirty air coming off all the trucks, she felt decidedly unsecure back there. I never felt that, probably because I had the bars in my hand and had a sense of control, but for some reason she would get unnerved back there. She says she doesn't get that same feeling on the S10, and that it feels more "planted" to her.

I felt that the 650 was a little underpowered on the interstate when both of us were on it with a full load of gear. That was one of the main reasons we moved on to the 1200 CC Super Tenere. Other guys never had that complaint, so it's definitely a subjective opinion. Other than that, the 650 was a great touring platform.
BrianS likes this.

"No matter where you go, there you are."
post #5 of 15 Old 04-11-2018, 05:45 PM
Stromthusiast!

My experience:

I have a Ď16 650. My wife has been comfortable riding pillion ever since I put on a Kappa top case. I didnít need to add a pad. She always wears a jacket and leans directly onto the plastic.

I didnít like the stock seat for 2up riding. The passenger would slide forward into me when braking. Seat Concepts solved that problem.

The 650 is adequate but the 1000 might be a better choice. The 650 will cruise all day at freeway speeds. However, passing on a grade or riding into strong headwinds requires working it pretty hard. It can handle being pushed but fuel economy suffers greatly.

If youíre the type to cruise along with the flow of traffic, the 650 is fine.
post #6 of 15 Old 04-11-2018, 05:45 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCinNC View Post
The hardest thing about that bike for her (and she has the same problem as she does on my Super Tenere) is getting on and off the bike because it sits so high.
Same problem here, but once she is on the bike she is comfy. We rode from Salt Lake City area to Baja, Mexico last year and (other than getting on and off) she was a happy rider.

"Tombstone"
S-10
My Alaskan Adventure
http://2mbstonestravels.blogspot.com/2015/04/alaska-or-bust.html
post #7 of 15 Old 04-11-2018, 05:54 PM
Stromthusiast!

I'm surprised she's so comfortable on that pillion seat. Maybe it's because she's so light, and gravity isn't her mortal enemy like it is mine. I've offered more than once to at least get her an Airhawk, and she says no, she doesn't need one. She's a damn fine passenger.

But the whole gymnastics routine about getting on and off is going to get pretty old in a few more years. Neither one of us are in the Springtime of our Youth, and I can see the ADV style bike, no matter how much I love them, becoming too much for her. And that'll be a real dilemma for me, because I don't want to go back to a cruiser, and I have no idea what could take the Yamaha's place and still be as practical and enjoyable.

"No matter where you go, there you are."
post #8 of 15 Old 04-11-2018, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Many thanks for the responses so far. As yet we have only tried the bikes in a static situation and my Wife favours the seating position on the larger bike even though on the models tried there seems to be little or no difference in the size of the seats. We will shortly get to ride the DL1000 two up for a couple of hours but we are struggling to find a demo 650.
post #9 of 15 Old 04-11-2018, 07:35 PM
Stromthusiast!

My bride and I toured on a 650 Wee for years, she never complained once no matter how long we spent on the road and the 650 did everything my V2 does it just takes a little longer to do it.

When we swapped up to the V2 the first thing we had to do was get a custom seat built, within 2 hour we were both in pain with the original 2014 seat.

I love my V2 but I would not be upset if I was forced to go back to the wee, it was a fun bike to punt around.

You need to get on a stationary 650 & 1000 and lean them over till they get heavy and see which works best for you.

Some of the 19 rides in my shed
2014 V2, Snoopy
2009 Wee, Pumbaa the pig
WR450F, The Blue Postie Bike
YZ250N smoker with rego, Stinky.
Yamaha MT09 (FZ09), The Scud missile.
Club Lead not Club Med.
He with the most toys wins.
Out of my depth in a puddle.
Live life on the edge you will see more that way.
Ridding a motorcycle keeps things in balance.
At the end of each trail and at the end of each day history is made.
post #10 of 15 Old 04-11-2018, 10:01 PM
Stromthusiast!

Also check out the versys 1000. For tarmac only 2 up riding, it's power, comfort and brakes are all excellent by most reports.
BrianS likes this.

'12 DL650 ADV
'07 Victory Hammer
'06 Suzuki M50 (Traded)

Last edited by MariusD; 04-11-2018 at 10:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode