New 2018 Vstrom Price in your County - Page 2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2017+ DL1000A - 2017 (L7) and later

50Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 88 Old 04-13-2018, 08:40 PM
Stromthusiast!

To OP's question, check places like Cycle Trader and see what known volume dealers like Romney Cycles are selling them for. The numbers change over time so there's little point in posting them here when what's current is what matters.
Ennsync likes this.

-Cambion
2018 V-Strom 1000XT
2011 V-Strom 650A (Sold)

"Remember, you don't really own anything you can't carry at a dead run."

Last edited by Cambion; 04-13-2018 at 08:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 88 Old 04-28-2018, 08:48 PM
Stromthusiast!

I have an Africa Twin and a V-STrom 650 and the V-STrom 650 is up for sale. But NOT because the AT is a better touring bike.

The AT is much better off-road and of course has way more power but you'd have to compare the AT to the V-STrom 1000. I agree with the below in that the 21" front tire makes for less fun pavement riding if you are on anything but an arrow straight road. The AT has better suspension and ground clearance but a higher center of gravity as well. For pavement running or minor gravel roads, the V-Strom is a better choice but I just don't like the power of the 650. It is still my intent to replace the 650 with a V-STrom 1000 but I will have a LOT of overlap between the two bikes. One option would be to buy a "day bike" like a moto-guzzi and have that bike and the AT. But for long distance touring a V-Strom 1000 would be tough to beat. I just checked out a V-Strom 1000 today, again, and really liked the 1/2” lower seat and lower center of gravity compared to the AT. A decal on the V-Strom 1000 says SportAdventureTouring. I would say that is highly accurate 1/3, 1/3, 1/3. I'd say the Africa Twin is 75% adventure 25% touring.

Yesterday was my first real ride on the AT I bought last August. Most impressive was the fuel economy. I topped the tank off twice on the ride. The first time at about 150 miles and the second time at about 100 (About 300 for the day). Both fillups indicated 60 mpg and that is hand calculated. I made sure to fill the bike up to the same level each time and I have to say I am damned impressed by this figure. Now I did zero interstate but did spent a LOT of time at 60-65 mph. So while that engine may be down in peak hp (91) the really broad torque curve with great passing power and fantastic mileage easily make up for it. I think the AT is a real standout in it's class as an ADV bike. But I think the V-sTrom 1000 and 650 are also standouts in their respective classes as well.

Have an AT for trips that involve a lot of off-road and a V-STrom 1000 for trips that are pavement. And add the Moto Guzzi V7III for those single day trips. Sounds like a mid-life crisis to me.

NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECoda View Post
I can tell you from living in the Ozarks and riding twisties constantly (two hair-pin turns just to get out of my neighborhood) and riding a ton of adventure bikes including the AT multiple times. A 19" front wheel is better than a 21" wheel for tracking through tight paved twisties. The V-Strom is the clear on-pavement winner when you compare them (a buddy and I did just that about six months ago on a stretch of five climbing tight twisties and about 500 ft of elevation - it is obvious when you run bikes of different front tire sizes together). That thread I posted even includes that point.

That is the trade-off for better off-road performance with a bigger wheel and longer front suspension. Don't get me wrong either will work just fine but the off-road edge goes to the AT and paved edge goes to the V-Strom. You can't beat the physics. I rode a 17" front tire GSX through the same stretch of twisties and it was even better. The 19" on the V-Strom is actually a compromise. The 21" AT with the long suspension is noticeably a little less tight in tracking the tight turns but still fine. It's whatever your wants and needs are but the AT does not quite catch the V-Strom for paved road performance. Another buddy has a 2014 Triumph Tiger 800 XC SE with the 21" front wheel and it is similar. Advantage for off paved roads.

If you live in a flat area with straight roads I guess it is less important. I have a hard time finding a straight level road. I actually bought a second much lighter bike for riding our countless miles of gravel/dirt fire roads but that is another story.
SECoda likes this.

Last edited by Numbercruncher; 04-29-2018 at 12:39 AM.
post #13 of 88 Old 04-28-2018, 09:31 PM
$tromtrooper

I'll bet you can pick up a V2 for "thousands", less than a AF. especially used one. Not even a choice.
Lrobby99 likes this.

post #14 of 88 Old 04-28-2018, 09:55 PM
Stromthusiast!

I picked up the Versys-X 300 at 385 lbs. for our fire roads which are loaded with gravel and some dirt/mix. Because of the Ozark terrain (constant tight curves and steep hills) the weight becomes a huge issue at slow speeds on the gravel fire roads. These are groomed fire roads but the weight makes the heavy bikes at or above about 500 lbs really unwieldy (and tires alone don't help it much). The light weight Versys turned out to be perfect for them (perfect in that it is great on paved roads as well unlike the off-road bikes I used to own). The weight is the single most important factor. The Versys 300 is still a compromise with the 19" tire so it is great on the paved twisties has no problem on the interstate solo. It complements the V-Strom 1000 much more than I thought it might because of the near 150 lb. weight difference. It has the Ninja 300 engine so it is pretty peppy with some changes they did. The only place I would add power is with a passenger on the interstate but I never put passengers on it.

The AT is also a compromise just like all of these "adventure" bikes. The 21" tires on it and the Tiger with the longer suspension actually wander a bit in the tight twisties. If I didn't live right in them it would be no big deal but I really like it to track pretty tight to where I want it because I am so used to riding them daily. Even the 19" front tire is a compromise (a 17" front tire is the best on the twisties and I have ridden a GSX now plenty of times to find out) but the 19" are pretty tight. The 21" aren't going to run you off of the road or anything but it is noticeable when you compare them back to back.

Where the AT excels is on the rougher trails which I tend to avoid. Groomed fire roads are about as rough as I go anymore. :-) The V-Strom low clearance and shorter suspension is pretty limiting for even moderate off-road trails we have. We have an off-road state park for ATV's and motorcycles and I wouldn't even attempt to take the V-Strom there. It's really a street touring bike capable of some light off-road duty unless you like being tortured and push it IMO. lol

The bike selection somewhat depends on the conditions where you ride. I wish there were more owners with AT's (I don't really see any here) because so many of the guys with street bikes turn around at the fire roads on our rides. A good retired friend is a nearby Honda motorcycle salesman (he went back to work out of boredom). He says they sell one or so AT's every other month and there are half a dozen Honda motorcycle dealers in the metro area so I am sure there are a few around.
Numbercruncher and Ennsync like this.

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS (Candy Daring Red)
2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300 ABS (Graphite Grey)
2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (sold)

Last edited by SECoda; 04-28-2018 at 11:05 PM.
post #15 of 88 Old 05-07-2018, 09:26 AM
Stromthusiast!

UK price of stock model is 9499 GBP OTR (12850 of your very fine US dollars, or 10700 in plastic EUROs).

Multiple dealers offering for 8700GBP (11760USD) (spanking new) or ex.demo versions from 7500 to 8000.

Mine had ~300 miles, ex demo - 7600GBP (10300 USD). With a OEM top box thrown in for 150 GBP (usually 450 GBP).
Ennsync likes this.

"Man, motorcycles and guitars"...

In Garage
2018 DL1000 L8 "The Banana"
2005 GSXR1000 "The Screamer"
2004 SV1000S "The Monster"
1974 T-350 "The Rebel"
post #16 of 88 Old 05-14-2018, 09:59 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
All the dealers in my area (Canada, Quebec) are selling the base DL1000 13,199$ CAD, but today I got one for 12,699$ CAD
Ennsync likes this.

2018 Yellow DL1000
post #17 of 88 Old 05-21-2018, 08:01 PM
Stromthusiast!

I bought the DL1000X SE in Ontario last week for $14,400 plus HST. Freight and set up was included in the price. Also received Suzuki's spring special which is the $500 gas card and 5 year warranty.
post #18 of 88 Old 05-22-2018, 11:13 PM
Stromthusiast!

Anyone seen a good price in the US mid-west? Sold my V-Storm 650 and really considering a new 1000. I have heard of really low prices in the Midwestern US and a fly and ride might be kind of cool. If I find any great deals I'll post here as well.

NC
post #19 of 88 Old 05-24-2018, 10:50 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
white 2018 dl 1000 Massapequa power sports(Long Island,NY)= 13,000 OTD
post #20 of 88 Old 06-07-2018, 05:38 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

I listened to SECoda and bought a new 2014 DL 1000 Adventure in the Spring that was still in inventory. Absolutely love the bike, and I fit into that 95/5% on/off, so it serves me well. I was back at the dealership yesterday and there was a 2018 AT DCT out front that my salesman begged me to try (he didn't have to ask more than once!). I've been fascinated by the DCT and he said it was so intuitive on upshifts, as well as downshifts. He showed me all the various modes, but I only rode it in basic D mode. I was impressed, but it was hard to reconcile driving an automatic transmission motorcycle until I thought about sitting in traffic jams or certain off road conditions. Certainly got me thinking that if I lived near a lot of fire roads and trails, I would consider the bike, but I very happy with my DL 1000 for my area and style of riding (Charleston, SC)-right price, just right amount of technology and power for my needs, etc.. BTW, at first I didn't find it as intuitive on downshifts as I'd hoped for while coasting, but when I applied the brakes, downshifts were perfect. Cheers
SECoda likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode