Accessory/Heated Grips Connector - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2017+ DL1000A - 2017 (L7) and later

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 04-01-2018, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Accessory/Heated Grips Connector

I spotted it on the electrical diagram, and spent some time looking for it today. I removed the air cleaner box and tucked down in front was a white connector with the pinless other half plugged in. (I marked it with a red dot on the photos)

The way it's attached, not sure a guy could get at it without first removing the airbox. The screw on the forward intake is in there a ways. A 3mm allen key bit in a 1/4" socket on a 6" extension worked for me. (all taped together to not lose anything. I backed off the rear about 8 turns, then did the front 16 half turns.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Inked20180401_153948_LI.jpg (19.5 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg Inked20180401_153934_LI.jpg (22.7 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg 20180401_154114.jpg (9.5 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg 20180401_154151.jpg (19.4 KB, 60 views)

2018 Flee-Strom 1000XT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-02-2018, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

I guess I was excited to find it, but maybe nobody else cares.

2018 Flee-Strom 1000XT
post #3 of 11 Old 04-02-2018, 01:31 PM
Stromthusiast!

I'm interested- Thanks for taking the time to post.

Did you round up the mating connector from an outside source, or did you install the OEM Suzuki hand warmers?

18 1000 XT yellow. Bunch of goodies installed.
2015 Yamaha WR250F- Street plated woods bike
Previous rides- about 25 different bikes, mostly dirtbikes.

post #4 of 11 Old 04-02-2018, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazooka Joe View Post
I'm interested- Thanks for taking the time to post.

Did you round up the mating connector from an outside source, or did you install the OEM Suzuki hand warmers?
The mating connector is there, it's plugged in with ribber plugs in the wire holes. (that's the photo next to my socket wrench) All that's needed are a pair of the tiny crimp-on blades to slip in there. I had extras from some modifications on my SV, so I'm using those.

2018 Flee-Strom 1000XT
post #5 of 11 Old 04-02-2018, 03:10 PM
Stromthusiast!

Excellent to see the other half is there. If I'd have read everything you posted instead of looking at half of the pictures, I'd could have answered my own question. Thanks for telling me what you told me. :-)

18 1000 XT yellow. Bunch of goodies installed.
2015 Yamaha WR250F- Street plated woods bike
Previous rides- about 25 different bikes, mostly dirtbikes.
post #6 of 11 Old 04-02-2018, 04:45 PM
Stromthusiast!

Thanks, I have a new GPS coming today and info will be helpful when setting it up
post #7 of 11 Old 04-02-2018, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ650 View Post
Thanks, I have a new GPS coming today and info will be helpful when setting it up
Not sure it's worth the trouble for a GPS. You could just plug it in the socket on the dash and be done.

2018 Flee-Strom 1000XT
post #8 of 11 Old 04-03-2018, 10:47 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighammer View Post
Not sure it's worth the trouble for a GPS. You could just plug it in the socket on the dash and be done.
I am mounting on handelbars with a lockable mount so I can leave it on at stops without concern for it disappearing so will stay on the bike most of the time. Hardwiring it is worth it for me and also frees up the outlet for other needs on a trip...I do have an old zumo 550 that I use the aux outlets for power so I can use it on different bikes. Vstrom will be my primary traveler this summer so will stay set up for trips most of the time
bighammer likes this.
post #9 of 11 Old 04-08-2018, 06:14 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
I spotted it on the electrical diagram, and spent some time looking for it today. I removed the air cleaner box and tucked down in front was a white connector with the pinless other half plugged in. (I marked it with a red dot on the photos)

The way it's attached, not sure a guy could get at it without first removing the airbox. The screw on the forward intake is in there a ways. A 3mm allen key bit in a 1/4" socket on a 6" extension worked for me. (all taped together to not lose anything. I backed off the rear about 8 turns, then did the front 16 half turns.
Thanks for the info on the socket and extension, saved me a lot of time since my allen wrenches are all to short, and it was not easy to see that clamp. It was a some work just to get to that connector but I don't mind since now I am familiar with the procedure for taking off the various body panels and tank.
bighammer likes this.
post #10 of 11 Old 04-14-2018, 10:53 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
I tried that but that plug and cable all stuffed up there was just too messy and crowded for me. I went with this cable from Amazon for $15 which can be run to your battery obviously or a fuse block. Nice and neat. Personally I love the 3-Circuit solution from Eastern Beaver.

Note: I had TWO previous Garmin brand hard-wire cables and neither lasted three months.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode