Rear Rack Capacity and Electrical Question - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2017+ DL1000A - 2017 (L7) and later

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Martinest
  • 1 Post By strominateacup

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 03-17-2018, 01:36 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Rear Rack Capacity and Electrical Question

1) I am looking at a GIVI top case and the mounting plate for it is limited to 6 kg's. That is like 14 pounds. The rack must be able to hold more than this. Has anyone had say 20 pounds on that rack and NOT lost your luggage?

2) The V-Strom 650 has a hidden connector for a GPS in the front cowl area. This allows a person to have a switched connector for the GPS and not require additional wiring to be run. Anyone know if a 2018 V-Strom 1000 has anything similar?

NC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-17-2018, 02:19 AM
Stromthusiast!

Hi!

You should find answer to your first question from this topic - https://www.stromtrooper.com/showthread.php?t=403666
Numbercruncher likes this.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-17-2018, 02:48 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbercruncher View Post
1) I am looking at a GIVI top case and the mounting plate for it is limited to 6 kg's. That is like 14 pounds. The rack must be able to hold more than this. Has anyone had say 20 pounds on that rack and NOT lost your luggage?
NC
I've got a Givi top box and mounting plate and I just brought a case of bottled beer home in it, it weighed 13.5 kg. Not a drop was spilled.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Beer (3).jpg (12.3 KB, 23 views)
Numbercruncher likes this.

There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in,
and the holes are very small, that's why rain is thin.
Spike Milligan.

Last edited by strominateacup; 03-17-2018 at 02:51 AM.

post #4 of 5 Old 03-17-2018, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

I figured it had to be something like this. I can potentially see a problem where a person has a lot of weight on that rack and if riding off road the weight starts to flex the plate it will snap off at some point. But just cruising around on pavement it is less likely to happen. Now if you crest a hill at high speed and descend into a G-out it may be different.

Funny I mention that G-out feeling. When we were kids we took a lot of road trips with mom. When we would drive over those we always called it losing our stomach. For whatever reason that was a fun experience. Like kids jumping up when the elevator stops moving upwards. Man I wish life could be simple like that again. Life was so much easier, twenty years ago . . .

Well if I buy a new V-Strom 1000 I'll take a road trip through California in May. Weather should be great but the kids are still in school. Maybe I'll do Colorado if I have time.

NC
post #5 of 5 Old 03-17-2018, 11:21 PM
Stromthusiast!

I'm sure the standard rack that the Givi plate attaches to would have a pretty low load rating. No way would I load it up that much on a rough road.

There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in,
and the holes are very small, that's why rain is thin.
Spike Milligan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode