Make sure you get the 3 keyed locks with your DL1000 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2017+ DL1000A - 2017 (L7) and later

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 03-15-2018, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Make sure you get the 3 keyed locks with your DL1000

I purchased my 2018 DL1000XT on Aug 29th last year, so when I received the factory hard bags last month that I ordered from Babbitts online, I discovered that the bags didn't come with the lock assemblies, only the aluminum lock plates and mounting screws for attaching them to the ends of the key cylinders.

So after going around and around with Babbitts who finally told me that Suzuki told them that the locks should have come with the bike when I bought it. So I then contacted the salesman at the dealer I bought the bike from and asked him if the locks for the saddlebags should have come with my bike, and he said no they don't. So I then called up Suzuki America in Socal and explained to them that I bought the factory handbags which didn't come with locks, and I was told from the place I bought the bags from that they don't come with the bags but should have come from with the bike, but the dealer says they don't come with the bike.

So Suzuki called me back and told me that yes, my bike should have come with (3) locks keyed to the ignition key lock assemblies for use on the side cases and the top case. So I called my dealer back up and told them about what Suzuki had told me and also forwarded him the email Suzuki sent me, which was for them to order me a complete re-key set consisting of the ignition switch, gas cap assembly, seat lock and the (3) keyed side case and top box locks which would be charged under warranty with no cost to me, as this was the only way to get me the (3) keyed lock assemblies.

So I asked the salesman to check and see if the locks could possibly be sitting somewhere back in the service dept. before they ordered the re-key kit, as this would save me the trouble have having to switch out all of the other locks on the bike, the bike prep guys at the dealer had the locks for my bike sitting on his bench for a little over 7 months, which according to Suzuki should have been placed in the tail section of the bike. So I installed the locks in the bags and all is good.

So if you by a new DL1000 make sure that it has the (3) keyed locks in the tail section, or that they hand you the locks.

2018 black DL1000XA with Arrow header, Holeshot slip-on, mag rims w/silver rim tape, Custom Lamm seat, Aprilia Tuono mirrors, V-Stream sport screen, Givi hugger, Cox radiator guard, Kaoko throttle lock, V-Steam sport shield, led turn signals and lots of custom parts and mods.

2007 Suzuki Candy Sonoma Red naked Bandit 1250S/AK7.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-28-2018, 09:24 AM
$tromtrooper

Garage
So that's what those damn things are for. My bike has a big 56l Givi top case and no Suzuki luggage is planned. So these are useless?

2018 1000XT, black. The Night's Watch. Givi engine bars, rear wheel mud guard, radiator screen. Givi V56 Litre Monokey topcase. Puig screen. Freeway Blaster horn. Speedohealer. SW Motech guards for R. brake reservoir, R. brake cylinder, exhaust pipe valve. Aprilia Tuono mirrors. GPR exhaust slip-on.
2006 DL1000, The Red Rhino. Gone for good.
post #3 of 14 Old 03-28-2018, 09:39 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
My '17 650 came with them and it took me quite a while to figure out what they were for!

post #4 of 14 Old 03-28-2018, 12:05 PM
Stromthusiast!

Product knowledge, along with lack of communications between sales, parts, and service departments appear to be prevalent in many motorcycle dealerships.

After looking for the 3rd time at a '17 Yamaha FJR1300 14 months ago, I spied a leftover '14 Vstrom1000 ABS with side bags on it for $6999 at the same dealership. I specifically asked the salesperson if the bags come on the bike, and he assured me that they did. One test ride and getting them down to $6799 and the bike was mine. The next day when I went back to them the sales manager met me at the door, explained that there had been a mistake, and that my model did not come with the bags. I reminded him that the salesperson told me that they did, and that I have a signed contract which specifically states as such. "Enjoy your bags" is all I got from him afterwards.

The bags were keyed to the bike, and a 3rd lock, along with the installation manual and decals, was in the right bag. Works great in my Suzuki 35L top case!

The manager and salesperson laugh about it now, as I have brought in 4 others who purchased motorcycles from them.

MetrickMetal...make sure you have the Emissions Warranty booklet that was supposed to be provided to you at time of purchase. I had to contact Suzuki Motor of America, INC. to get mine, which, like your locks, are supposed to be provided at time of purchase.

Last edited by MAZ4ME; 03-28-2018 at 01:25 PM.
post #5 of 14 Old 04-09-2018, 07:09 AM
Stromthusiast!

Yup, I got a small bag with the 3 cylinders, 2 keys, tag with the key code, and owners manual.

2018 Flee-Strom 1000XT
post #6 of 14 Old 04-09-2018, 08:37 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAZ4ME View Post
. The next day when I went back to them the sales manager met me at the door, explained that there had been a mistake, and that my model did not come with the bags. I reminded him that the salesperson told me that they did, and that I have a signed contract which specifically states as such. "Enjoy your bags" is all I got from him afterwards.
Reminds me of my kx250 purchase. Bought a previous model year bike (last one) at a steep discount. When I went back to pick it up salesperson said it was gone, and asked if I was interested in another model. I replied with a copy of the sales deal and deposit receipt. They rolled a brand new one out of the crate and built it. Sales manager later told me that the owner had sold it to a friend. Not even an apology for the 2 hr delay. I never went back to them.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

2015 VSTROM 650 X ABS EXP
Previous rides: 2012 KLX250S, 2006 VT1100C2, 2002 KX125, 1999 SV650, 1987 GPZ305
Bikes I wish I had: Ducati 916, Harley Road King, KTM 500 EXC, BMW R1200RT, Honda CRF1000L, BMW R75
post #7 of 14 Old 04-10-2018, 02:44 AM
Stromthusiast!

Marcham, I also believe than many in dealership sales depatrtments think the average customer is unknowing as to the ways of business. Add to that many in dealership management play the parts department, service department, and sales departments against each other in the mistaken belief than "friendly competition" between departments increases profits. Then mistakes are made. In both your case and mine, this competition or lack of inter-department communication worked in our favor.
post #8 of 14 Old 05-22-2018, 06:28 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Same here got a small bag with 3 locks when I bought my 2018 650xt

2018 DL650AXT Mods
Corbin Seat
Garmin Zumo 396LMTS GPS
Cardo Bold JBL Comm.
SW Motech Crash Bars
Denali DR-1 Led Lights
IMS Adventure 1 Pegs
SW Motech EVO Tank Bags Micro, Engage
GIVI V47 Top Case
GIVI Skid Plate
OEM Center Stand
Zeta offset Risers
MZS Levers
Adventure Tech Mirror Extenders, Kick Stand Plate and Peg Lowering Kit
Helmet Guardian
Fenda Extenda
National Cycle V-Stream 19 inch Shield
ZETA Armor Hand guards
post #9 of 14 Old 06-09-2019, 12:17 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Hello. I’m from Cape Town, South Africa. I have a 2018 1000XT. I need to fit a plug & play “Booster Plug”. I’ve lifted the gas tank but need help to locate the AIT sensor plug and ECU plug. Could you assist? Thanks. Aslam
post #10 of 14 Old 06-09-2019, 12:43 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aslam View Post
Hello. I’m from Cape Town, South Africa. I have a 2018 1000XT. I need to fit a plug & play “Booster Plug”. I’ve lifted the gas tank but need help to locate the AIT sensor plug and ECU plug. Could you assist? Thanks. Aslam
This tread is dedicated to lock sets. You might get a faster response under a thread specifically for your booster plug question
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode