2018 V-Strom 1000 Pre Purchase Questions - Page 2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2017+ DL1000A - 2017 (L7) and later

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 13 Old 12-08-2018, 05:51 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbercruncher View Post

1) So if I buy a new 1000 I'd like to get Givi cases as they have a much larger locking mechanism though in the real world that may not mean much. Has anyone added these cases to a new 1000? Did you have to drill much to mount them on the bike?
On my 2018 Vstrom 1000 XT I mounted the GIVI Dolomiti 36L side cases with the Givi Plr3105 case holder rack and you have to enlarge a couple of holes of the rear plastic. Not a big deal.

Quote:

2) Are the folks who buy these bikes for thousands off MSRP paying big bucks for freight and assembly? Maybe you folks are not in Washington State but live where discounting is normal? I like to support my local dealer but I have no idea what the bike should sell for. I don't want to put my local dealer out of business and buy cross state as I'll need service locally. But I won't throw away money either. Guess I just have to do the old, "What will you sell it for?" routine like everyone else does and just go from there.
I went to my local dealer with a quote from an out of state dealer (via CycleTrader.com) and they matched the price. I paid $9800 with prep and delivery (before taxes).

Quote:

3) Center Stand. I spent four hours trying to mount the SW Motech center stand on my 650 and ended up taking it to the dealer. There were just too many brackets to connect. I have seen video of the Honda Africa Twin and the center stand can be mounted in five minutes for either the Honda or Motech unit. Is either the Suzuki or Motech stand easy to mount on this bike?
I didn't yet put a center stand on mine.

Quote:

4) Heated Grips - I have used Oxford in the past and may do that again unless the Suzuki ones are way better.
I live in a desert :-)

Quote:

5) Crash Bars - If anyone has mounted crash bars and especially if they have added highway pegs please let me know which ones. I have the large one piece highway peg setup on my 650 and while a little bit too far forward and not quite wide enough, I really like having something for feet forward riding.
I installed the Givi Tn3105 and I like it. No highway pegs.

Quote:

6) I added a Corbin seat to my 650 and can't really remember how the stock one felt. I like a pretty firm seat and while seat comfort is subjective, anyone who has a 2018 can comment on firmness to see if there is any sort of consensus.
To me, the seat on the 1000 is firmer and better than on my 2012 650. I didn't yet did long distance on the 1000 though.

Quote:

7) My 650 can get 65 mpg at 6,000 feet in Colorado but I normally average mid 50's unless running at 75+ mph. For those who have gone from the 650 to the 1000, how much of a drop did you see? I figure I'll see about the same change.
I am getting 48 mpg (premium) with the 1000 and I am a slow rider. With the side cases, it drops to 46 mpg. I was getting 54 mpg (regular) with the 650 (with the enormous OEM side cases). Elevation where a live is 3000 feet.

Quote:

8) Getting the tank off my 2015 650 means removing about 1000 pieces of plastic. Is the new 2018 1000 any easier to work on?
Didn't have to do it yet.

Hope this helps. Cheers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181126-PB260008.jpg (527.4 KB, 18 views)
Numbercruncher likes this.

Last edited by nster; 12-08-2018 at 05:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 Old 12-20-2018, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Thank you for the thoughtful post. Beautiful bike by the way.

NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by nster View Post
On my 2018 Vstrom 1000 XT I mounted the GIVI Dolomiti 36L side cases with the Givi Plr3105 case holder rack and you have to enlarge a couple of holes of the rear plastic. Not a big deal.

I went to my local dealer with a quote from an out of state dealer (via CycleTrader.com) and they matched the price. I paid $9800 with prep and delivery (before taxes).

I didn't yet put a center stand on mine.

I live in a desert :-)

I installed the Givi Tn3105 and I like it. No highway pegs.

To me, the seat on the 1000 is firmer and better than on my 2012 650. I didn't yet did long distance on the 1000 though.

I am getting 48 mpg (premium) with the 1000 and I am a slow rider. With the side cases, it drops to 46 mpg. I was getting 54 mpg (regular) with the 650 (with the enormous OEM side cases). Elevation where a live is 3000 feet.

Didn't have to do it yet.

Hope this helps. Cheers.
post #13 of 13 Old 12-21-2018, 12:24 AM
$tromtrooper

Garage
Still crunching numbers eh?

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode