New V-STrom 1000 Side Case Concern - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2017+ DL1000A - 2017 (L7) and later

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 03-14-2018, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

2018 V-Strom 1000 Pre-purchase Questions

I purchased a new V-Strom 650 last summer (unsold new 2015 model) and really like the bike but want more power. I am seriously considering a new 1000XT model for the yellow but the white bike with cast wheels looks cool as well.

In prior years, it seemed to be a chore to add side cases to a V-Strom which is one reason I went with the 650XT. That bike came with SW Motech cases and I was able to add the top case and use the key the bike came with.

1) So if I buy a new 1000 I'd like to get Givi cases as they have a much larger locking mechanism though in the real world that may not mean much. Has anyone added these cases to a new 1000? Did you have to drill much to mount them on the bike?

Tried to create only one thread. If a mod wants to take the responses below and merge with my pre-purchase question thread that would be ideal.

NC

Last edited by Numbercruncher; 03-15-2018 at 02:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-14-2018, 09:26 PM
Stromthusiast!

Numbercruncher,

I bought my 2018 yellow 1000 XT a couple of months ago, straight out without a trade. I paid $9999 plus sales tax, license fee, and maybe $20 document fee. The key to shoot the price at your dealer first before you ask for his best price. Ask/tell him, "I've heard other guys bought at this price. Can you make any money selling one for that?" and see what he says. If he won't take your offer, you can always tell him you need to go home and ponder, and leave him your tel number.
Numbercruncher likes this.

18 1000 XT yellow. Bunch of goodies installed.
2015 Yamaha WR250F- Street plated woods bike
Previous rides- about 25 different bikes, mostly dirtbikes.
post #3 of 12 Old 03-15-2018, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazooka Joe View Post
Numbercruncher,

I bought my 2018 yellow 1000 XT a couple of months ago, straight out without a trade. I paid $9999 plus sales tax, license fee, and maybe $20 document fee. The key to shoot the price at your dealer first before you ask for his best price. Ask/tell him, "I've heard other guys bought at this price. Can you make any money selling one for that?" and see what he says. If he won't take your offer, you can always tell him you need to go home and ponder, and leave him your tel number.
Do you have a build thread? Curious what all you added to your bike.

NC

post #4 of 12 Old 03-15-2018, 08:50 AM
Stromthusiast!

NC,
I have these accessories either on order or already at my house- Shad SH48 top case w/ backrest, Shad SH23 side cases, Givi crash bars, OEM center stand, Puig windshield, footpeg lowering kit, and SW Moto Engage tank bag. I plan to build a passenger peg lowering kit sometime this spring. And, I probably will need to add a stiffer spring for the rear suspension because I often ride two up.
Numbercruncher likes this.

18 1000 XT yellow. Bunch of goodies installed.
2015 Yamaha WR250F- Street plated woods bike
Previous rides- about 25 different bikes, mostly dirtbikes.
post #5 of 12 Old 06-03-2018, 10:19 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Hey Bazooka Joe,

I'm considering the Givi V35 side cases and one of their top cases (not sure which yet), but I'm not sure if they'll install on the Vee 1000 XT. Did you look into / consider these when you made the decision to go with with the Shad cases? Any idea what the build quality of the Shad vs the Givi are? Any issues with the install? Have pictures of your bike with / without cases you could share?

Thanks!
post #6 of 12 Old 06-04-2018, 01:53 PM
Stromthusiast!

I just installed the racks for my v35s this weekend. Very happy with the outcome.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
DakotaKid007 likes this.
post #7 of 12 Old 06-04-2018, 09:49 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Very nice HB9400!

May I ask which mounting hardware you used? Any issues installing it on your Vee?

Which top case did you put on?

Are the 3 locks that come with the bike compatible with the Givi cases?
post #8 of 12 Old 06-05-2018, 06:30 AM
Stromthusiast!

I used the Kappa KLXR3114 racks. Bought them from Tour And Ride website. Givi sells their products under the Kappa label as they are interchangeable. The install was simple to do. I use a Givi V46 top box most of the time but I also have a larger Kappa top box. I didn't use the 3 locks that came with the bike.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
DakotaKid007 likes this.
post #9 of 12 Old 06-05-2018, 09:22 AM
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Don't forget to take a look at the Shad 3P system. The racks sort of disappear when the bags are off.

Suzuki Hard Luggage - AdventureTech, LLC.
post #10 of 12 Old 06-05-2018, 07:31 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Any idea how Shad cases compare to Givi cases in build quality?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode