Barkbusters install on 2018 XT...not a 'Turn Key Solution' - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2017+ DL1000A - 2017 (L7) and later

 3Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 02-18-2018, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper
 
dwayneh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Innisfil, Ontario Canada
Posts: 373
Garage
Barkbusters install on 2018 XT...not a 'Turn Key Solution'

Installed the Barkbusters on the XT yesterday (Saturday). First, nice looking kit. Seems beefy, should be able to take more abuse then the bones in my fingers. Now, the install hardware that comes with the Barkbusters..... Garbage would be a fair description. The slip collar for capturing the guard into the handlebar is, at least for my application, an issue. I ended up using the hardware from the OEM bar-end weights instead of the garbage that Barkbusters included.

Now the issues with installing. This kit was listed to work with ALL V-Stroms. Even on the Barkbuster site. This is not true, the 2018 XT 1000 has a tapered handlebar which has too large a diameter for the Barkbuster kit. I did get it to fit by incorporating the Dremel and filing down the radius of the clamps that go around the bars. Also, even doing this, I still will need longer M6 screws to hold those clamps around the bars. Going to order some 30mm off of Amazon, as I doubt the local hardware stores will carry caphead M6 by 30mm bolts.
This modification was not difficult, and actually I would normally not make a big deal out of it; however, the Barkbusters are overpriced to begin with. If they did fit as advertised I would again have no issue. For folks out there who do not want to modify a piece of kit they just overpaid for, this could become a bone of contention.

I do not know if the SW Motech guards fit better, but this could have been done better by Barkbusters. I hope they are better in their intended purpose.
Spec likes this.

Current ride:
2018 V Strom 1000 XT

Past rides:
Honda NX 125 enduro, Yamaha V-Star 650, Suzuki 1500 Intruder,
BMW R1150R, BMW K1200S,
Triumph Sprint ST 1050 (Caspian Blue), Triumph Sprint ST 1050 (Silver)
dwayneh is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 Old 05-16-2018, 04:47 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
MeefZah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Eureka, Calif
Posts: 2,961
I'm going to bump / comment on this post since the search feature for future users looking for 'Barkbuster' info will likely hit on it and I want to make sure there is not misinformation out there.

I also just completed an install of the BB, model BHG-152-00-NP, which is the basic handguards for 1 1/8" aluminum bars.

Here's the issue that @dwayneh was trying to explain, but it is not BB's fault: Suzuki is misrepresenting the OEM bars on the XT model as 1 1/8" aluminum tapered bars. They are STEEL. Put a magnet on them and see.

Because steel bars have thinner walls than aluminum, and because the BB kit is designed for aluminum bars, there is basically a larger hole (for lack of a better description) that needs to be filled by the bar end mount. For that reason, the BB bar end mounts will not work. You can use Dwayne's suggestion of cannibalizing the OEM bar end hardware if you want, but there is an easier way. More on that below.

I also am of the impression that Dwayne may have ordered the 7/8" bar kit, or possibly reversed the inner mounts (they are side specific) because having to dremel the inner clamp mounts out makes no sense to me.

Anyway, the solution to the BB issue - if you have the STOCK 1 1/8" bars - is to place a piece of rubber hose over top of the assembly that goes into the bar ends. I used some scrap from a set of Tusk handguards that I installed on my dirt bike. Those bars are aluminum, and because the Tusk guards are set up for both steel and aluminum bars, they include these rubber sleeves to act as a spacer and to provide the correct diameter for the bar ends if you are mounting them in steel bars. By my best measurements, those rubber sleeves are pretty similar to 9/16" inner diameter rubber hose. So the solution is to get about 5 inches of 9/16" ID rubber hose, like a fuel line, or similar; and slide that over the bar end assembly before install.

Everything else bolts up just fine and there are no issues. I added a summary of the above on the Revzilla site under reviews for the BB to hopefully "alert" more people. It's a simple fix but if you don't have a good understanding of stuff you might be flummoxed and / or pissed off.

If there are questions please post up.

Pics of the install below... don't judge my:

a) lack of centerstand; it's supposedly en route
b) scarred up BB plastics... they have been on 3 different bikes now and I just keep reusing them...





















Supatramp likes this.

"How rare that we can point ourselves inevitably west and go, go, go. Run out the highway and the hills. Slide our fingertips over the creases and the valleys of the impossibility that is America. You canít grasp its vastness from a plane. Itís diversity from a map. You have to put your feet on the ground. Your hands in the dirt." - Zach Bowman

My SmugMug galleries (copy & paste)---> https://meefzah.smugmug.com/
MeefZah is offline  
post #3 of 16 Old 05-16-2018, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper
 
dwayneh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Innisfil, Ontario Canada
Posts: 373
Garage
Barkbusters install on 2018 XT...not a 'Turn Key Solution'

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
I'm going to bump / comment on this post since the search feature for future users looking for 'Barkbuster' info will likely hit on it and I want to make sure there is not misinformation out there.



I also just completed an install of the BB, model BHG-152-00-NP, which is the basic handguards for 1 1/8" aluminum bars.



Here's the issue that @dwayneh was trying to explain, but it is not BB's fault: Suzuki is misrepresenting the OEM bars on the XT model as 1 1/8" aluminum tapered bars. They are STEEL. Put a magnet on them and see.



Because steel bars have thinner walls than aluminum, and because the BB kit is designed for aluminum bars, there is basically a larger hole (for lack of a better description) that needs to be filled by the bar end mount. For that reason, the BB bar end mounts will not work. You can use Dwayne's suggestion of cannibalizing the OEM bar end hardware if you want, but there is an easier way. More on that below.



I also am of the impression that Dwayne may have ordered the 7/8" bar kit, or possibly reversed the inner mounts (they are side specific) because having to dremel the inner clamp mounts out makes no sense to me.



Anyway, the solution to the BB issue - if you have the STOCK 1 1/8" bars - is to place a piece of rubber hose over top of the assembly that goes into the bar ends. I used some scrap from a set of Tusk handguards that I installed on my dirt bike. Those bars are aluminum, and because the Tusk guards are set up for both steel and aluminum bars, they include these rubber sleeves to act as a spacer and to provide the correct diameter for the bar ends if you are mounting them in steel bars. By my best measurements, those rubber sleeves are pretty similar to 9/16" inner diameter rubber hose. So the solution is to get about 5 inches of 9/16" ID rubber hose, like a fuel line, or similar; and slide that over the bar end assembly before install.



Everything else bolts up just fine and there are no issues. I added a summary of the above on the Revzilla site under reviews for the BB to hopefully "alert" more people. It's a simple fix but if you don't have a good understanding of stuff you might be flummoxed and / or pissed off.



If there are questions please post up.



Pics of the install below... don't judge my:



a) lack of centerstand; it's supposedly en route

b) scarred up BB plastics... they have been on 3 different bikes now and I just keep reusing them...













































Thank you for adding that. The kit I orderd was what was recommended on the Backbusters site for the V Strom 1000. When I ordered I do not remember checking if it was made for the XT, however I know when ordering I would have selected that option if it were available. Furthermore, the Barkbusters info stated that it was for the 2018 V Strom 1000. As just a consumer, I would have expected BB to know that the XT and standard 1000 have different bars. How was I to know when ordering, that the kit would only fit 7/8, when the site said 2018 V Strom 1000.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current ride:
2018 V Strom 1000 XT

Past rides:
Honda NX 125 enduro, Yamaha V-Star 650, Suzuki 1500 Intruder,
BMW R1150R, BMW K1200S,
Triumph Sprint ST 1050 (Caspian Blue), Triumph Sprint ST 1050 (Silver)

Last edited by dwayneh; 05-16-2018 at 04:53 PM.
dwayneh is offline  
 
post #4 of 16 Old 05-16-2018, 04:55 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
MeefZah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Eureka, Calif
Posts: 2,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayneh View Post
Thank you for adding that. The kit I orderd was what was recommended on the Backbusters site for the V Strom 1000. When I ordered I do not remember checking if it was made for the XT, however I know when ordering I would have selected that option if it were available.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No problem. I bet you got the 7/8" version, but that is weird because the 7/8" should have bar mount hardware for steel bars so while you would have had the correct bar end stuff the inner clamps would have been too small. It sounds like you had neither the correct bar end stuff OR the inner clamps... so I'm not sure what to make of that.

I doubt BB even knows that the 1 1/8" bars on the XT are not aluminum. I assume that they just go by Suzuki's specs and since the kit is built for the bar size, not specifically to the DL1000XT, BB may well have never even checked to see if it actually works on the XT.

"How rare that we can point ourselves inevitably west and go, go, go. Run out the highway and the hills. Slide our fingertips over the creases and the valleys of the impossibility that is America. You canít grasp its vastness from a plane. Itís diversity from a map. You have to put your feet on the ground. Your hands in the dirt." - Zach Bowman

My SmugMug galleries (copy & paste)---> https://meefzah.smugmug.com/
MeefZah is offline  
post #5 of 16 Old 05-16-2018, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper
 
dwayneh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Innisfil, Ontario Canada
Posts: 373
Garage
Barkbusters install on 2018 XT...not a 'Turn Key Solution'

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
...BB may well have never even checked to see if it actually works on the XT.

That was the point of my post really. Itís a good product...overpriced, but what isnít that revolves around motorcycles.

When I put the bar end weights in the bars, they did not feel secure enough to my liking. That was another reason I opted to use parts from the OEM weights. It works, and I like it that theyíre black to match the rest of the grip.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current ride:
2018 V Strom 1000 XT

Past rides:
Honda NX 125 enduro, Yamaha V-Star 650, Suzuki 1500 Intruder,
BMW R1150R, BMW K1200S,
Triumph Sprint ST 1050 (Caspian Blue), Triumph Sprint ST 1050 (Silver)
dwayneh is offline  
post #6 of 16 Old 05-22-2018, 05:03 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
Li432Paul's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 70
Garage
thanks for the post

2018 DL650AXT Mods
Corbin Seat
Garmin Zumo 396LMTS GPS
Cardo Bold JBL Comm.
SW Motech Crash Bars
Denali DR-1 Led Lights
IMS Adventure 1 Pegs
SW Motech EVO Tank Bags Micro, Engage
GIVI V47 Top Case
GIVI Skid Plate
OEM Center Stand
Zeta offset Risers
MZS Levers
Adventure Tech Mirror Extenders, Kick Stand Plate and Peg Lowering Kit
Helmet Guardian
Fenda Extenda
National Cycle V-Stream 19 inch Shield
ZETA Armor Hand guards
Li432Paul is offline  
post #7 of 16 Old 05-22-2018, 05:57 PM
$tromtrooper
 
Supatramp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
I'm going to bump / comment on this post since the search feature for future users looking for 'Barkbuster' info will likely hit on it and I want to make sure there is not misinformation out there.

I also just completed an install of the BB, model BHG-152-00-NP, which is the basic handguards for 1 1/8" aluminum bars.
Man, thanks for taking the time for the post and pics.
I lucked out and got a used set, that came off a 2009, from Ebay, for $28.00, but no instructions were included. I figured it out pretty good and now would'nt hesitate to buy a new set.

,,


Supatramp is offline  
post #8 of 16 Old 10-15-2018, 01:01 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
H8-3Putts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: NW Oregon
Posts: 94
Garage
I got a set of Barkbusters and was having problems with the install; looking for help, I found your post.

From the instructions I do have, there should be a bar end between the aluminum bar and the grip. I think you've omitted a piece in your install. Not sure if that would have solved the issues you were having or not.

I could be wrong too. If you want, I'll take a couple pics and upload how I got my set installed.
H8-3Putts is offline  
post #9 of 16 Old 10-15-2018, 08:46 AM
Stromthusiast!
 
MeefZah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Eureka, Calif
Posts: 2,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by H8-3Putts View Post
I got a set of Barkbusters and was having problems with the install; looking for help, I found your post.

From the instructions I do have, there should be a bar end between the aluminum bar and the grip. I think you've omitted a piece in your install. Not sure if that would have solved the issues you were having or not.

I could be wrong too. If you want, I'll take a couple pics and upload how I got my set installed.
Correct. If you buy a BB machine specific kit there should be bar weights included. If you buy a BB generic kit (as mine is) there are not. The weights don't make any difference in the install because no part of them goes into the bar.

The day after taking those above pics, I added bar weights to mine by using the OEM Suzuki weights that I slightly trimmed up, and longer bolts. I forgot to update this thread accordingly. I took a photo this morning (below).

This had a slightly noticeable effect on bar vibes, but not much. It does look a little more finished this way and also gives a bit more room inside the guards for hand placement.

H8-3Putts likes this.

"How rare that we can point ourselves inevitably west and go, go, go. Run out the highway and the hills. Slide our fingertips over the creases and the valleys of the impossibility that is America. You canít grasp its vastness from a plane. Itís diversity from a map. You have to put your feet on the ground. Your hands in the dirt." - Zach Bowman

My SmugMug galleries (copy & paste)---> https://meefzah.smugmug.com/

Last edited by MeefZah; 10-15-2018 at 03:25 PM.
MeefZah is offline  
post #10 of 16 Old 11-20-2018, 02:10 PM
Stromthusiast!
 
MeefZah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Eureka, Calif
Posts: 2,961
^

Here are better pictures of the "revised" installation, using a portion of the Suzuki OEM bar ends as a spacer / weight in between the end of the bars and the Barkbuster.

To recap, the install on the inner mounts is the standard Barkbuster "fat bar" inner tapered mounts that come with their "generic" universal fit fat bar kit. On the end of the bars I used Tusk brand (leftover) inner bar expanders and bolt, fuel line, and part of the OEM bar weights. Upon installation, approx 14,000 miles ago, I marked all bolts to check for movement, and there has been no movement at all. The assembly remains rock solid.












"How rare that we can point ourselves inevitably west and go, go, go. Run out the highway and the hills. Slide our fingertips over the creases and the valleys of the impossibility that is America. You canít grasp its vastness from a plane. Itís diversity from a map. You have to put your feet on the ground. Your hands in the dirt." - Zach Bowman

My SmugMug galleries (copy & paste)---> https://meefzah.smugmug.com/
MeefZah is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome