DL1000 L8 rust everywhere - Page 2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2017+ DL1000A - 2017 (L7) and later

24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 43 Old 01-24-2018, 12:03 PM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
Salt water will cause surface corrosion in one day. You can practically see it grow.
pvwheeler and VstromGrin like this.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informat...-you-have.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 43 Old 01-24-2018, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
Salt water will cause surface corrosion in one day. You can practically see it grow.
Yes but in aluminum it makes holes. To me that’s not acceptable nor I heard it from anywhere on other forums from Iowa to Moscow.
post #13 of 43 Old 01-24-2018, 12:12 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
Sorry to the OP, but this is all on you.......and yes almost all of that will clean up fine. You won't be winning any lawsuit either, but I wish you luck.
pvwheeler, VstromGrin and BrianS like this.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #14 of 43 Old 01-24-2018, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B View Post
Sorry to the OP, but this is all on you.......and yes almost all of that will clean up fine.
Why is that my friend?
post #15 of 43 Old 01-24-2018, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B View Post
Sorry to the OP, but this is all on you.......and yes almost all of that will clean up fine. You won't be winning any lawsuit either, but I wish you luck.
i have trust on our laws. Thank you anyhow.
post #16 of 43 Old 01-24-2018, 12:27 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariosraptor View Post
Why is that my friend?
It is because any motorcycle will likely do what yours is doing, anytime you have the suspicion you are riding on wet salt covered roads, you have to rinse the bike off first chance you get. How long did your bike sit, rust and corrosion like that doesn't happen over night? I have owned many motorcycles and never had an issues like that, but I NEVER ride when there is even the hint of wet salty roads. A chain will/can rust pretty quickly just riding in the rain, so I always lube religiously in situations like that, an auto oiler is even better. Keep us updated on what you find out, but here in the states that lawsuit would fall flat on it's face immediately.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #17 of 43 Old 01-24-2018, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

As I said. I didn’t know the road had probably from earlier days. It took six days. There are many issues. I don’t care about the chain. I care about brakes. Ignition starter and everything that has the smallest hint of oxidation. The timeframe is ridiculously short for this to happen. And As Suzuki Germany replied they probably know there are some quality issues.
The pressure that I’m applying is immense.
I will keep you updated.
post #18 of 43 Old 01-24-2018, 12:36 PM
Fox
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Notice how all of the non-Suzuki parts - particularly the chain and sprockets, brake pad backing - are the most rusty. Why would you expect any different?

This rust is absolutely typical of high humidity after exposure to road salt. It could have been avoided by rinsing it off immediately after exposure, and most of it will clean off as has been stated. If you're leaving it rusty thinking you're preserving evidence, that is beyond foolish.

Your brakes are fine.

Clean the bike off, learn the lesson, ride more and worry less.
post #19 of 43 Old 01-24-2018, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox View Post
Notice how all of the non-Suzuki parts - particularly the chain and sprockets, brake pad backing - are the most rusty. Why would you expect any different?

This rust is absolutely typical of high humidity after exposure to road salt. It could have been avoided by rinsing it off immediately after exposure, and most of it will clean off as has been stated. If you're leaving it rusty thinking you're preserving evidence, that is beyond foolish.

Your brakes are fine.

Clean the bike off, learn the lesson, ride more and worry less.
Thanks. Noted.
post #20 of 43 Old 01-24-2018, 12:42 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Reading through the OP's posts, I think he clarifies a bit - and he's trying to make his point.

1) he owns a 2018 V-Strom 1000
2) it had rained for six straight days. He couldn't ride so he kept his bike inside.
3) on the seventh day (oh dear...) the skies parted, and it was clear and 17C / 62.6 F. While he didn't specify the unit of measurement, I take it from the fact that his area "rarely goes below freezing" that it also rarely gets down to -8C / 17F, and that he wouldn't ride in that amount of cold.
4) He went for a ride, and after the ride inspected his bike, and noticed the rust.

I think there is a rush to assume that he rode in the dead of winter - I believe considering he contacted Suzuki Germany and Greece that he likely lives in Europe, and from the text I'm going to guess he lives in Greece. Suzuki Motorad may have been the first address he found to reach out to on social media, who knows.

All of that said, I'm a terrible mechanic and I have no suggestions to whether the issue happened as a result of road salt or not. He has a fair point - a 250km / 155 mile ride should not beat the bike like that. I would think that the 6 days of rain would have washed the salt / de-icer away. Perhaps he road into the mountains, where they had re-applied. And perhaps it is rare enough wherever he lives that there are generally signs/warnings when the salt/melter is applied, and there were none.

I don't know. I know that there are many many times that I have not washed my bike off after a ride. If it was 17 / 63 degrees, sunny, and dry, I wouldn't think about it - and haven't thought about it - many times. I also don't know that my discussion adds anything, except to say that lets remember not everyone is in the deepest darkest depths of winter at this time of the year.
dwayneh likes this.

2011 Wee-strom and loving it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode