sw-motech 38L top box question - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2017+ DL1000A - 2017 (L7) and later

2Likes
  • 1 Post By ImOldMan
  • 1 Post By slipstream

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 01-09-2018, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

sw-motech 38L top box question

I have a tight parking spot. I want a top case. I like the SW motech aluminum cases. I'm worried about the added length to the bike.

Can anyone tell me how far this box sticks out over the rear fender. How much length does the box add to the bike?
Lrobby99 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-16-2018, 04:50 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOldMan View Post
I have a tight parking spot. I want a top case. I like the SW motech aluminum cases. I'm worried about the added length to the bike.

Can anyone tell me how far this box sticks out over the rear fender. How much length does the box add to the bike?
Looks like no one knows. Bummer.

2018 1000XT, black. The Night's Watch. Givi engine bars, rear wheel mud guard, radiator screen. Givi V56 Litre Monokey topcase. Puig screen. Freeway Blaster horn. Speedohealer. SW Motech guards for R. brake reservoir, R. brake cylinder, exhaust pipe valve. Aprilia Tuono mirrors. GPR exhaust slip-on.
2006 DL1000, The Red Rhino. Gone for good.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-16-2018, 06:09 PM
Stromthusiast!

I suspect it has everything to do with the type of mounting plate and where and how that mounts to the oem rack. I would think it's removable so you could just take it off if that close when parked.
Lrobby99 likes this.

BOYCOTT Photobucket!

post #4 of 9 Old 01-17-2018, 07:47 AM
$tromtrooper

Garage
Take it off when you're done.
Now why didn't I think of that?
I don't know about the Motech, but the Suzuki top box takes me about 2 seconds to remove.

2018 1000XT, black. The Night's Watch. Givi engine bars, rear wheel mud guard, radiator screen. Givi V56 Litre Monokey topcase. Puig screen. Freeway Blaster horn. Speedohealer. SW Motech guards for R. brake reservoir, R. brake cylinder, exhaust pipe valve. Aprilia Tuono mirrors. GPR exhaust slip-on.
2006 DL1000, The Red Rhino. Gone for good.
post #5 of 9 Old 01-17-2018, 10:50 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrobby99 View Post
Take it off when you're done.
Now why didn't I think of that?
I don't know about the Motech, but the Suzuki top box takes me about 2 seconds to remove.
I'm pretty sure that SW-Motech makes the Suzuki luggage. At least, that's what I've learned here about my side panniers. So, the SW-Motech will take you exactly as long to take of as the Suzuki, as they are the same. No?

Someone, I know, will correct this for me if I am wrong.

2011 Wee-strom and loving it.
post #6 of 9 Old 01-17-2018, 04:04 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
I have the SW-Motech top case (38L) mounted with the SW-Motech adapter plate. The locking bracket to the mounting plate (the piece furthest back) is about flush with the license plate light and reflector. BUT I have a K6 Wee so not sure if yours will be the same.

Mine is a real snug fit and removing it and re-installing it takes some effort and pounding with my hand. I am sure if I did it enough times it would loosen up but it's just easier for me to leave it on.

YMMV

2020 Eastern V-Strom Rally (website) - May 14 - 17, 2020
1966 Triumph Bonneville T-120R
1965 Suzuki 80
post #7 of 9 Old 01-18-2018, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Thanks for the info.

I ended up getting it. It ads a little length, but it's easy to get off as you've said.

Now I just need to come up with a lid stay solution. Or maybe they're completely unnecessary. I definitely can't allow myself to spend 38 dollars on two lengths of wire.

Overall I think the box seems a little shoddy. I expected more for a $400 aluminum box.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-18-2018, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stalky Tracker View Post
I have the SW-Motech top case (38L) mounted with the SW-Motech adapter plate. The locking bracket to the mounting plate (the piece furthest back) is about flush with the license plate light and reflector. BUT I have a K6 Wee so not sure if yours will be the same.

Mine is a real snug fit and removing it and re-installing it takes some effort and pounding with my hand. I am sure if I did it enough times it would loosen up but it's just easier for me to leave it on.

YMMV
Have you tried adjusting the bracket to the back of the rack? There was a good bit of play in mine and I fiddled around with its positioning until I got that perfect SNAP! when closing the latch.
post #9 of 9 Old 01-20-2018, 12:19 PM
Stromthusiast!

SW Motech top case

Stalky Tracker

"Mine is a real snug fit and removing it and re-installing it takes some effort and pounding with my hand. I am sure if I did it enough times it would loosen up but it's just easier for me to leave it on."

It will loosen up at the front, mine has and I've left mine on for 33,000 kms. I have to use a shim to keep it tight in the front. It's the old metal vs. plastic and we know who wins every time. You may also want to check the key lock mechanism and add some thread locking product as I've found the vibration will loosen the nut fastening the lock mechanism to the box.

Last edited by jerryscove; 01-20-2018 at 12:23 PM. Reason: additional infor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode