DL1000 L8 grinding gears - Page 2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2017+ DL1000A - 2017 (L7) and later

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 29 Old 11-21-2017, 01:12 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosnjo View Post
Mine got huge slack in chain tension on first 1000 miles. It made big difference in shifting but after adjusting the clutch as per owners manuals, all is good again.
One thing I noticed when I owned '14 model was that at the dealer, the mechanic adjusted the chain slack with me sitting on the bike. It deteriorated the quality of shifting. But after adjusting it as owner's manuals says, 20-30mm with the bike on the side stand, it was as smooth as butter.
One more thing. On first few oil changes I trusted the dealer on type of oil. I've observed what the mechanics were doing. It was the oil from huge barrel and I had no idea of the quality of it. It was good for 1000-1500 miles and then the shifting problems would start. Then, two years ago, I decided to bring my own oil, recommended by Suzuki, fully synthetic and demanded to use that oil. The dealer used it, no problems. With that oil and always correct chain slack, all my shifting problems were gone for good.
Now I own '18 model and the story with the oil is the same. But now my dealer has that exact type of oil on the shelf so I don't have to bring mine anymore. Other owners of DL1000 heard of what I was doing and now they all ask for that oil. I know it's big hit on dealer's pocket, as the oil in huge barrels cost him almost nothing but I don't care, I prefer smooth shifting.
Everything is as supposed to. Oil info removed. See previous post. GW Tensioned to spec chain. Clean and lubricated. All other gears are smooth. The 1st to 2nd is smooth when bike is fairly cold. But after a while it starts with the gear grinding.

Last edited by greywolf; 11-21-2017 at 01:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 Old 11-21-2017, 06:30 AM
Stromthusiast!

As GW suggested, oil reference is here:
https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-...ml#post4964138
Post #2183

2017 DL1000 White
2014 DL1000 Red (sold)
2012 DL650 White (sold)
post #13 of 29 Old 11-21-2017, 09:08 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Hopefully this is really just a technique issue.
Sometimes I run into this problem on my 2014 (and also did on my 2007). Every time I have had this issue I have been relaxed and taking it smooth and easy. I was being too easy and slow with the shift lever. The best analogy I can think of is a weak, limp hand shake.
I have also experienced this when I had my shift lever adjusted a little high.

2014 DL1000A
2002 BMW K1200LT
Some people just don't get how a 300+ mile round trip for lunch makes sense.
If you are reading this, you probably do.

post #14 of 29 Old 11-22-2017, 01:25 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheelrob View Post
Hopefully this is really just a technique issue.
Sometimes I run into this problem on my 2014 (and also did on my 2007). Every time I have had this issue I have been relaxed and taking it smooth and easy. I was being too easy and slow with the shift lever. The best analogy I can think of is a weak, limp hand shake.
I have also experienced this when I had my shift lever adjusted a little high.
I personally donít think is a technique issue. I think is an issue.
Iíve tried too many different techniques.
It mostly occurs when bike is running at least 30 mins.
post #15 of 29 Old 11-23-2017, 01:28 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariosraptor View Post
I hope you find that it is something simple. Definitely strange that it is after running for a while.
Good luck.

2014 DL1000A
2002 BMW K1200LT
Some people just don't get how a 300+ mile round trip for lunch makes sense.
If you are reading this, you probably do.
post #16 of 29 Old 11-24-2017, 01:08 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheelrob View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariosraptor View Post
I hope you find that it is something simple. Definitely strange that it is after running for a while.
Good luck.
Yes I know is strange. While itís cold is super smooth. Will see. Will try some more things and if I find something will let know.
Thanks bro.
post #17 of 29 Old 11-24-2017, 06:55 AM
Stromthusiast!

Can you go back to your dealer and demand to try the other bike, so you can compare and prove if there was something wrong with yours?

2017 DL1000 White
2014 DL1000 Red (sold)
2012 DL650 White (sold)
post #18 of 29 Old 11-24-2017, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosnjo View Post
Can you go back to your dealer and demand to try the other bike, so you can compare and prove if there was something wrong with yours?
Itís not easy bro. I live 7 hours away. And donít know if he has another bike to compare to.
Iíll be a little patient till summer. Then I can go more easily. Probably will demand I thoroug check on transmission and clutch system.
Will see.
post #19 of 29 Old 05-06-2018, 08:24 AM
Stromthusiast!

Just to echo OP's experience - I've noticed a tendency to occasionally hit N for 2nd in my first 750 miles as well. I also recalled doing it on the demo ride once or twice and put it down to familiarization on that occasion.

Never experienced this on my SV1K/GSXR and I put it down to ergonomics. Not sure if the following is factually true, but foot position 'feels' closer to the horizontal on my L8 vs slightly downward on the others. The diametrical distance of full stroke lever rotation also 'feels' longer.

I found by moving foot slightly forward for the 1st gear change meant a full purchase under the pedal, allowing a more purposeful 'stroke' to give max extension smoothly into 2nd.

That said I have fairly large 'plates of meat' so to speak (UK12.5/US13/EU47) and always wear fullt boots.. I'd guess for riders with smaller 'clodhoppers', the ergonomics are less optimum?
post #20 of 29 Old 05-06-2018, 08:34 AM
Stromthusiast!

additional

I hadn't noticed a grinding noise per se when failing 2nd engagement, just a kinda sound which suggested gears not fully engaged as per any bike - before the inevitable N over rev.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode