DIY First service? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2017+ DL1000A - 2017 (L7) and later

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 10-22-2017, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Garage
DIY First service?

Is it advisable to do your own first service? It's just an oil change and a check of fasteners? Perhaps not doing my first service, but changing the oil, and filter as well as checking the fasteners. Leaving the actual first service for the dealership to do, at the start of next years riding season. I want to get at least another rider in this year, but the bike has just over 1000Km's on it and don't want to leave the old oil in there over the winter for next years first service.

Current ride:
2018 V Strom 1000 XT

Past rides:
Honda NX 125 enduro, Yamaha V-Star 650, Suzuki 1500 Intruder,
BMW R1150R, BMW K1200S,
Triumph Sprint ST 1050 (Caspian Blue), Triumph Sprint ST 1050 (Silver)

Last edited by dwayneh; 10-22-2017 at 10:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 10-22-2017, 10:57 PM
Stromthusiast!

Oil changes are easy to do. Don't leave it off. You can keep records of your parts expenses and a log of what you've done.
Or you can enhance the bankroll of the local dealer and keep his wife in the Lexus.
post #3 of 18 Old 10-22-2017, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Garage
I've done several oil changes on bikes, brake pad changes, spark plugs, but I have never adjusted a chain before.

Current ride:
2018 V Strom 1000 XT

Past rides:
BMW R1150R, BMW K1200S,

post #4 of 18 Old 10-23-2017, 01:43 AM
Stromthusiast!

Chain Adjust

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayneh View Post
I've done several oil changes on bikes, brake pad changes, spark plugs, but I have never adjusted a chain before.
The chain adjust is pretty simple, just slack off the axle nut on the rear and use the adjusters equally to pull the chain tighter til it has the approved 'sag" in the center...tighten up the bolt..done.
I'm curious about changin the plugs but it seems that theyre hard to get at..do you have to take the TANK off to get at all Four?
That was a major PITA when I had to change the Air filter.
post #5 of 18 Old 11-07-2017, 01:44 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
If you can do brake pads you can adjust the chain. You might as well learn how to do it because you'll have to do it a lot over the life of the bike. You'll find it will need to be down at first service and likely again at 6k

I did my own first service, I don't have a dealer near by. Just keep receipts and you'll be fine. It's more of a liability thing for them.

2018 Vstrom 1000
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Nomad
post #6 of 18 Old 11-07-2017, 02:16 PM
Stromthusiast!

Look in your owner's manual; it'll tell you what should be checked on the first 600 mile service. If I recall correctly, there isn't anything on it that would present a problem for someone who's had at least a little mechanical experience. Even if you decide to let the dealership do the service, you should know what's on it; there are plenty of stories out there of dealerships trying to convince owners that they have to change the spark plugs on the first service, or that they need to do a valve check. A little knowledge beforehand can keep you from being taken advantage of.

Youtube has been a real asset to me when it comes to undertaking maintenance tasks. There are multiple videos on line of how to adjust a chain; even if they aren't specifically for a V-Strom, the principles are going to be pretty much the same from one bike to another. Delboy's Garage is one site I've used more than once; I learned how to disassemble forks and change fork seals from watching his videos, and another video taught me how to change my tires by hand using spoons and not kill myself with the effort. Good stuff.
Big B likes this.

"No matter where you go, there you are."
post #7 of 18 Old 11-28-2017, 08:06 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Make sure that you find the tightest point on the chain and adjust the slack at that point, and tightening the axle nut, place your socket or wrench at about the 7 to 8 o'clock position and pull up on it, as this will keep the axle blocks pressed up against the adjuster bolts, were tightening the axle nut by pushing down on the wrench can pull the axle back tightening the chain.

I also suggest using Dupont chain saver chain lube.
Gear-Up and dwayneh like this.

2018 black DL1000XA with Arrow header, Holeshot slip-on, mag rims w/silver rim tape, Custom Lamm seat, Aprilia Tuono mirrors, V-Stream sport screen, Givi hugger, Cox radiator guard and lots of custom parts and mods

2007 Suzuki Candy Sonoma Red naked Bandit 1250S/AK7.
post #8 of 18 Old 11-28-2017, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetrickMetal View Post
Make sure that you find the tightest point on the chain and adjust the slack at that point, and tightening the axle nut, place your socket or wrench at about the 7 to 8 o'clock position and pull up on it, as this will keep the axle blocks pressed up against the adjuster bolts, were tightening the axle nut by pushing down on the wrench can pull the axle back tightening the chain.

I also suggest using Dupont chain saver chain lube.

Thank you for that. This is the kind of “unspoken” advise I was looking for.

2018 V-Strom 1000 XT
Past Rides:
2008 BMW K1200S, 2005(x2) Triumph Sprint ST 1050, 2005 BMW R1150R, 2004 Suzuki Intruder 1500, 2003 Yamaha 650 V-Star,1992 Honda 125 Enduro
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current ride:
2018 V Strom 1000 XT

Past rides:
BMW R1150R, BMW K1200S,
post #9 of 18 Old 03-15-2018, 10:19 PM
Stromthusiast!

I have a 2015 650 and may trade it in for a new 2018 1000. I don't like the major hassle of getting the tank off with the 85,000 different fasteners that need to be removed. Is a new 2018 1000 cc bike any better in this regard?

NC
redrage6 likes this.
post #10 of 18 Old 03-20-2018, 11:49 PM
Stromthusiast!

Not to hijack the thread, but is there a oil filter that that you can get locally without go to the dealer or ordering it? If so what's the number?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode