LED headlight - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2017+ DL1000A - 2017 (L7) and later

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 10-04-2017, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
LED headlight

By any chance any of you guys put led bulb(h7) on your Vee? If so which brand?
looking to put one on my 2018, but the space seems limited to put one with the cooling fan.

thanks

2018 Vstrom 1000 XT yellow stinger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 10-04-2017, 04:56 PM
Stromthusiast!

Here You Go

Below is the offical Suzuki headlight spec for a 2018 Vstrom 1000. You can get for $45 each the 3rd generation LED plug and play H-7 and H-9 lamps from ADV Rocket, link below. I have this product in my 650K7 and would not have anything else. There is no fan and the metal, bendable lattice you see is the heat sink. BUT, I would contact John Sanford, the engineer-owner and ask about the 2018 Vstrom fit. It is very important the actual light source on the LED be in the same physical place as on the OEM. Because, light performance is nearly entirely dependent upon the reflector inside headlight bucket. You can remove the OEM bulb or just look at it from the outside see if the beam emitter points up or down on the low beam and the high beam points up or down. ANY retrofit must be oriented the same as the OEM or you will get scatter or worse. Many on this forum have had that problem. In most respects, any H-7 and H-9 will have the same mounting design and the same beam emitter design. I use John's 2G H-4 and it is identical with the beam emitters on the OEM but G1 was off some and worked ok but not really good like the G2 does. I was recently on a road in MT near a river at dark dusk and on HB I could see the trees on both sides of the road and clouds of millions of insects but that is not scatter: it's lots of lumens. The H-7 LED puts out 4800 lumen at about 25 watts and the H-9 is the same: together you'd be running a landing light and you'd like it. But beware the interaction between the reflector and emitter.

Headlight 12V 65W (H9 high-beam) & 12V 55W (H7 low-beam) 12V 65W (H9 high-beam) & 12V 55W (H7 low-beam)

Headlight Replacement - ADVmonster
V-Tom, kd70qc and dwayneh like this.
post #3 of 26 Old 10-05-2017, 03:07 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
if same as the 14's

cyclops have them

2014 vee2- OEM:skid plate,heated grips,mirror extenders,centerstand. aftermarket:sw-motech: risers,trax 45L side cases 38L top case,pipe valve guard, kickstand foot enlarger. corbin/holshot heated seat ,MRA VarioTouringScreen,burkbusters storm,PC8, kaoko throttle lock, scorpion titanium slip-on, denali airbomb,scottoiler,denalli dx.pc5+autotune R&G:radiator guard, pipe slider K&N:air filter touratech:crashbars, ABS kill switch,dryspec tool tube,cyclops LED headlights,doubleback mirrors,helmet guardian,twowheels shorty levers,aftermarket off road rear brake lever,shorai lithium battery.

post #4 of 26 Old 10-06-2017, 05:40 AM
$tromtrooper

Garage
Subscribed. I too am interested in this.

Current ride:
2018 V Strom 1000 XT

Past rides:
Honda NX 125 enduro, Yamaha V-Star 650, Suzuki 1500 Intruder,
BMW R1150R, BMW K1200S,
Triumph Sprint ST 1050 (Caspian Blue), Triumph Sprint ST 1050 (Silver)
post #5 of 26 Old 10-13-2017, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Ok, here it is. I've changed my low beam for a led h7. 4500lm 6000k
I'm happy but not overwhelmed. Yes it's brighter the light spectrum it's not the same!
Pros: whiter
all the reflective material (on panel, traffic cone...) lights up like an upcoming train.
seems like I'm more noticeable by other road user( the light doesn't seems to blind them do)
the light seems to have a wider pattern

Cons: the one with the fan and module are a tight fit under the dust cap. but they fit and nothing to cut or make an hole so it's still waterproof( I think thats cancel the con!! you judge)
Doesn't seems to have the same effective length of sight as my halogen( explanation below)
Unknown heat dissipation in that confine space.

The one I've bought had 2 led on each side. Like almost all of the led bulb for that purpose. The thing is when installed the led points on the side. the emitting light goes sideways not like a halogen bulb all around. I think that's why the light beam seems having a wider pattern, but lacking in length effective lighting. not having an emitting source of light going up from the bulb to the reflective backing ,backing doesn't reflect nothing!!

I think that the ones with 3 sides led. (like a triangle viewed from the front) might be better. one led pointing up and the other 2 pointing down and sideways. giving more lighting like an halogen bulb that emits light on 360 degrees.

But for a longer range view I still have the high beam that I can use ;-)

2 thing to do now :1.change that orangish position light ont that head light. 2.Find someone who wants a h7 headlight bulb( they come in a 2-pack for cars) and exchange him for an h9 led for my highbeam.

2018 Vstrom 1000 XT yellow stinger
post #6 of 26 Old 10-13-2017, 07:47 PM
Stromthusiast!

Good Write-up

I think you have a separate bucket for the LB and HB. If your halogen LB filament sits out in the clear so the light can emit in 360 deg vertically, then the LED must do the same. However, this seems strange because the LB has a cut line so there is little light above it and lots below. This usually achieved because halogen bulb has a metal screen preventing light from emitting downward. I think the LED must nest in metal so the only way to have light emit and up and down is to have 2 LEDs emitting at the same time; this is the G2 design from ADV Monster I have: both emit on HB and only the up emitting one emits on LB. I have seen designs using 3 LEDs in a triangular metal house, which should be a design compromise because only one of them could point straight up. John Sanford, owner of ADV Monster encourages contact for fitment issues. I don't know about this but if an H-7 is a dedicated LB and the H-9 is a dedicated HB, with 2 completely different and separate headlights, you may have a fitment problem, which you do as you are not overwhelmed with the difference from OEM. With both of your headlights on, you have nearly 10,000 lumens but if the geometry of the LED emitters does not precisely duplicate the same for the OEM, you won't like it very much. Good luck; I spent gobs of time on this subject. The below link for a blog that John is active on and a place for placing pictures of your set up. Many people offered images of beam patterns on it. It is among the more confusing, even confounding upgrades I have encountered: some understand the importance of the headlight reflector, all eventually do. I have a 2015 Subaru and it has 3 headlights on each side. The main light has a halogen bulb with 2 filaments and a shaped relector, same as my 2007 wee, and it has a running light with a shaped lens in front and some kind of light source behind that I can't see, and the "cornering" light also use a shaped lens in front. Only the main headlight beam is reflector dependent and other two are lens dependent.

ADVmonster LED Headlight! | Adventure Rider
Dave the Dude likes this.
post #7 of 26 Old 12-02-2017, 08:20 AM
$tromtrooper

Garage
LED headlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbill1945 View Post
Below is the offical Suzuki headlight spec for a 2018 Vstrom 1000. You can get for $45 each the 3rd generation LED plug and play H-7 and H-9 lamps from ADV Rocket, link below. I have this product in my 650K7 and would not have anything else. There is no fan and the metal, bendable lattice you see is the heat sink. BUT, I would contact John Sanford, the engineer-owner and ask about the 2018 Vstrom fit. It is very important the actual light source on the LED be in the same physical place as on the OEM. Because, light performance is nearly entirely dependent upon the reflector inside headlight bucket. You can remove the OEM bulb or just look at it from the outside see if the beam emitter points up or down on the low beam and the high beam points up or down. ANY retrofit must be oriented the same as the OEM or you will get scatter or worse. Many on this forum have had that problem. In most respects, any H-7 and H-9 will have the same mounting design and the same beam emitter design. I use John's 2G H-4 and it is identical with the beam emitters on the OEM but G1 was off some and worked ok but not really good like the G2 does. I was recently on a road in MT near a river at dark dusk and on HB I could see the trees on both sides of the road and clouds of millions of insects but that is not scatter: it's lots of lumens. The H-7 LED puts out 4800 lumen at about 25 watts and the H-9 is the same: together you'd be running a landing light and you'd like it. But beware the interaction between the reflector and emitter.

Headlight12V 65W (H9 high-beam) & 12V 55W (H7 low-beam)12V 65W (H9 high-beam) & 12V 55W (H7 low-beam)

Headlight Replacement - ADVmonster

I bought the H7 (low beam) for my 2018 from ADVmonster, link in quote. What I do not like is that I am unable to put the plastic dust cover, which screws on, back on the bike. I am a little concerned of dirt and water ingress into the light bucket. Not sure if I will keep this, or put it back to stock.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Current ride:
2018 V Strom 1000 XT

Past rides:
BMW R1150R, BMW K1200S,
post #8 of 26 Old 12-02-2017, 11:12 AM
Stromthusiast!

Just placed the order for Cyclops h7 LED bulb. Will see how's the light pattern.
Kerri Miller and dwayneh like this.

2017 DL1000 White
2014 DL1000 Red (sold)
2012 DL650 White (sold)
post #9 of 26 Old 12-15-2017, 01:14 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosnjo View Post
Just placed the order for Cyclops h7 LED bulb. Will see how's the light pattern.

Any chance to test them out?

2018 V-Strom 1000 XT
Past Rides:
2008 BMW K1200S, 2005(x2) Triumph Sprint ST 1050, 2005 BMW R1150R, 2004 Suzuki Intruder 1500, 2003 Yamaha 650 V-Star,1992 Honda 125 Enduro
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current ride:
2018 V Strom 1000 XT

Past rides:
BMW R1150R, BMW K1200S,
post #10 of 26 Old 12-15-2017, 07:14 PM
Stromthusiast!

The bulb has just arrived this afternoon, my last day off. I have days off again from 28th of December so no time to do anything before that. As soon as I install it, I'll write down the review.
tenny80 and dwayneh like this.

2017 DL1000 White
2014 DL1000 Red (sold)
2012 DL650 White (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode