2Likes
  • 1 Post By pete4x4
  • 1 Post By bosnjo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 10-03-2017, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Garage
2018 XT

UPDATE: Was at the dealership today (October 4, 2017), to confirm my 29” inseam was going to work with the seat height of the 1000. In the process I was able to get a picture, or since my bike isn’t yet mine as delivery is scheduled for Ssturday, I am considering this a “sonogram”.

Well, I did it. I thought about doing this for the past year. I was originally looking at some GS1200A's. The issue with the Beemer, is the closest dealership is in Toronto, which is almost two hours South of me, and that is only if traffic is light (read: 0200 in the morning). What drew me to the V-Strom comes down to plain old common sense. I am trading in a Triumph Sprint ST 1050. Great bike, not so great company when it comes to stocking parts in North America. Every time I needed parts for my Triumph it was a minimum one week wait. When the riding season is only four or five months tops, a week is too long IMHO.

Enter, the V-Strom. Excellent parts availability, robust aftermarket support. It is like buying a Jeep, minus the poor fuel economy. All I have at this point is a VIN, and an update that the "crate" should be arriving into the dealership sometime today or tomorrow. Although I should be excited about the V-Strom, having to trade in the Sprint ST is bitter sweet. I have spent countless hours watching reviews on the Vee XT, what I would like to know, is there anywhere on the bike to put a Powerblock fuse block?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 736BA015-CA20-4106-92BF-05D9BE6230AF.jpg (11.7 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by dwayneh; 10-04-2017 at 07:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-03-2017, 07:25 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I don't know about your fuse powerblock. Which size it has...but I've put a fuse box just on top of the battery. There's a free space there, just under the actual fuse box and relay box. I didn't mind having to remove a bolt to gain access since that fuse box is for accessories..thus not essential for running the bike.
dwayneh likes this.

2018 Vstrom 1000 XT yellow stinger
post #3 of 9 Old 10-04-2017, 02:53 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Congrats on the new bike. Ive got a 2018 as well in kingston ontario.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

2018 Vstrom 1000
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Nomad

post #4 of 9 Old 10-06-2017, 12:01 PM
Stromthusiast!

My 2014 fits a fuse block in the seat box no problem.
post #5 of 9 Old 10-06-2017, 03:48 PM
Stromthusiast!

New model come with EVAP box under the seat. I had '14 model and it had no EVAP box, This one had. I took it off and now I have all the space I need under the seat.
You can read here:
https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl1000a-...er-seat-2.html

2017 DL1000 White
2014 DL1000 Red (sold)
2012 DL650 White (sold)
post #6 of 9 Old 10-06-2017, 04:19 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosnjo View Post
New model come with EVAP box under the seat. I had '14 model and it had no EVAP box, This one had. I took it off and now I have all the space I need under the seat.
You can read here:
https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl1000a-...er-seat-2.html
Canadian models do not have the EVAP, at least mine did not.

2018 Vstrom 1000
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Nomad
post #7 of 9 Old 10-07-2017, 12:14 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenny80 View Post
Canadian models do not have the EVAP, at least mine did not.
Well, at least some countries in the world are safe from it. It looks like all Europe is now under minimum of Euro4 emissions rule for bikes and that's the reason of having the box. When I purchased my '14 model, back in September 2014, the rule was minimum of Euro3 so bike didn't need the box. The cars are coming out of production lines with Euro6 already, so engines on them feel completely strangulated, especially diesel... Obsession or saving the planet, I can't say...
tenny80 likes this.

2017 DL1000 White
2014 DL1000 Red (sold)
2012 DL650 White (sold)
post #8 of 9 Old 10-07-2017, 04:17 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayneh View Post
UPDATE: Was at the dealership today (October 4, 2017), to confirm my 29” inseam was going to work with the seat height of the 1000. In the process I was able to get a picture, or since my bike isn’t yet mine as delivery is scheduled for Ssturday, I am considering this a “sonogram”.

Well, I did it. I thought about doing this for the past year. I was originally looking at some GS1200A's. The issue with the Beemer, is the closest dealership is in Toronto, which is almost two hours South of me, and that is only if traffic is light (read: 0200 in the morning). What drew me to the V-Strom comes down to plain old common sense. I am trading in a Triumph Sprint ST 1050. Great bike, not so great company when it comes to stocking parts in North America. Every time I needed parts for my Triumph it was a minimum one week wait. When the riding season is only four or five months tops, a week is too long IMHO.

Enter, the V-Strom. Excellent parts availability, robust aftermarket support. It is like buying a Jeep, minus the poor fuel economy. All I have at this point is a VIN, and an update that the "crate" should be arriving into the dealership sometime today or tomorrow. Although I should be excited about the V-Strom, having to trade in the Sprint ST is bitter sweet. I have spent countless hours watching reviews on the Vee XT, what I would like to know, is there anywhere on the bike to put a Powerblock fuse block?
So, will the seat height work OK with your 29" inseam? I would love to know because I'm looking at getting a 2018 DL1000 SE myself.

Be careful what you shoot at. Most things in here don't react too well to bullets. - Capt Ramius, Red October

2006 DL650 Blue
2009 VZ1500 M90 Blue
post #9 of 9 Old 10-07-2017, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLite View Post
So, will the seat height work OK with your 29" inseam? I would love to know because I'm looking at getting a 2018 DL1000 SE myself.
Oh yes it did indeed! I mean, I am on the balls-of-my-feet, but it is not the least bit uncomfortable. The only thing I had to learn for putting my feet down, was training myself to instead move my feet slightly behind the foot pegs, instead of trying to place my feet on the outside of the pegs, as I did with my last bikes. All-in-all, no issues with my vertically challenged frame.
For reference:
I am 5'6, which in real world measure is 167cm
with a 29" inseam, or again, in real world measure is 73mm

Current ride:
2018 V Strom 1000 XT

Past rides:
Honda NX 125 enduro, Yamaha V-Star 650, Suzuki 1500 Intruder,
BMW R1150R, BMW K1200S,
Triumph Sprint ST 1050 (Caspian Blue), Triumph Sprint ST 1050 (Silver)

Last edited by dwayneh; 10-07-2017 at 09:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode