Extensive Review - Difference between '14 and '18 model - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2017+ DL1000A - 2017 (L7) and later

44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 Old 09-20-2017, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Extensive Review - Difference between '14 and '18 model

Just picked up my new bike.
Its white.
My idea is to write, in coming days, as much as I can about the difference between my old and my new bike. I'll write it down here as I make the progress in mounting the accessories and replacing some OEM stuff I don't like. Then about the riding, all the impressions I get.
So, as for today:
Arrived to my dealer at 9:30 AM and left at 3:00 PM. A lot of work we've done there, his mechanic and me, together.
The first thing I didn't like on my new bike were those grey plastics arround the tank. We removed black plastics from my old bike and put them on new bike. WOW, what the difference. The grey ones we put on my old red bike. And WOW again, it looks great with grey plastics. So, now both bikes look great. I have some stickers "V-Strom" in black and "1000" in red, the same font, so those will go onto the tank, on the sides and then clear Suzuki protections over the sides of the tank that will cover the tank completely on its sides, just the way I had it on my '14. Those transparent protections are great. Lasted 3 years and completely protected my '14 tank keeping it scratch-free.
I wanted HEED crash bars but they still don't make them for '18 model. So my Givi bars were removed from '14 bike and put on '18 bike. Also, we removed the center stand from '14 and installed on '18. On '14 I had stronger spring for the side stand as I use the shoe (R&G) on it and it's a bit havier, so we moved the spring also to '18.
Then, new Michelin Pilot Road 4 (non-trail) for the rear as on '14 rear tire was completely shot. Front tire we moved from '14 to '18, Michelin Pilot Road 4 again (trail version, there is no non-trail for the front).
Rear rack on my '14 gave me a lot of work to remove the silver paint and keep it black without painting. I just polished it and then used shoe shine black wax and it looked like painted black. So, we moved the rack from '14 to '18 as well. New silver rack went to '14 and let me tell you, it already had some scratches. I don't want that piece of crap.
EVAP box was something I realy didn't want. So, we removed it and now I have the space under the seat just like on my '14 model. I wrote a bit about it here:
https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl1000a-...nder-seat.html
My '14 had 16T front sprocket. When I brought the bike to the dealer, he decided to put back 17T and had brand new Suzuki 16T waiting for me to put on the new bike. So we did. I don't use the bike for long travels so I need more performance and less top end. I love 16T sprocket. Done arround 15.000 miles with 16T on my '14 and loved every minute of riding it. So, "show must go on" on '18 model.
That was about it and I left the dealer to slow trip back home, only 20 miles or so.
My '14 had X-TRE. I removed it before trading the bike in but was not sure if I needed it for the new bike. And I don't. My '14 had the latest version of ECU and X-TRE and was really smooth. But this one is even smoother. It looks like they've completely solved the fueling issue on low throttle opening. My '14 setup made bike vibrate much less on low revs but '18 looks like it has even less vibrations. Tried cruising on 2200rpm and was smooth like a silk. My '14 was running nice on 2200rpm but was vibrating. The new one doesn't.
So, there is just one more thing I've noticed on my way home. The bike feels lighter even with full tank. I can not be so sure yet, it's too soon, but just had that feeling.
Now, in next 2-3 days I have a lot to do, installng DRL's, fog light, Givi Airflow, LED indicators, licence plate light (hate that OEM brick), indicators buzzer, remote for my garage door, GPS, pegs lowering kit (Adventuretech), SW Motech gearshift pedal, handlebars risers, tank bag, Topbox with brake light, Arrow slip-on and can't remember all the rest. I have the parts laying on the floor all over my home.
As for the photos, I will take a lot of them when my bike is finished. I'll find nice quiet place to do it in the sunny day.
In the meantime, I'll leave you with this one:

2017 DL1000 White
2014 DL1000 Red (sold)
2012 DL650 White (sold)

Last edited by bosnjo; 09-20-2017 at 03:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 09-20-2017, 01:26 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
Enjoy and thanks for the interesting report.

2018 1000XT, black. The Night's Watch. Givi engine bars, rear wheel mud guard, radiator screen. Givi V56 Litre Monokey topcase. Puig screen. Freeway Blaster horn. Speedohealer. SW Motech guards for R. brake reservoir, R. brake cylinder, exhaust pipe valve. Aprilia Tuono mirrors. GPR exhaust slip-on.
2006 DL1000, The Red Rhino. Gone for good.
post #3 of 47 Old 09-20-2017, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

- Givi Airflow installed, no issues. Lines up perfectly, so no difference between '14 and '18 models screen brackets.

- Arrow slip-on installed but not without issues. After the pipes were connected, there was a space between exhaust's bracket and subframe bracket to hang the exhaust, when holes were perfectly aligned. If I tried to push the pipes connection deeper in, the space between brackets disappears but then the holes get way out of alignment. So, the only solution was to align the holes again and put 2 big fat washers to fill the gap of 5-6mm.

- Changed the mirrors, used the ones I had on '14 model, with extenders. No issues at all.

Enough for today.
MariusD likes this.

2017 DL1000 White
2014 DL1000 Red (sold)
2012 DL650 White (sold)

post #4 of 47 Old 09-20-2017, 06:40 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosnjo View Post
So, there is just one more thing I've noticed on my way home. The bike feels lighter even with full tank. I can not be so sure yet, it's too soon, but just had that feeling....
appreciate the detailed write-up, I was just wondering about the differences between the '14 and the '18.

The "lighter" feeling is probably the new (and hence rounder) rear tire.

Rich Desmond
'07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '99 SV650 (race bike), '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350, '08 Ducati 848
post #5 of 47 Old 09-21-2017, 01:09 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Interesting to hear your comments on the fueling, my 18 seems worse then I remember my 14 being. However the dealer gave me the bike with a LOT of play in the throttle. I've almost got 600 miles on it already and i'll adjust it when I do my first service tomorrow or Friday. I am coming off riding an ST1300 for the last year and that thing was sooooooooo smooth so maybe I just need to get used to the twin again
2wheelrob likes this.

2018 Vstrom 1000
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Nomad
post #6 of 47 Old 09-21-2017, 03:40 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Mine also had a lot of free play on the throttle. I adjusted it to 1mm before I exited the dealer's door.
I don't know if removing EVAP box has anything to do with fueling as I haven't tried the bike with the box on.

2017 DL1000 White
2014 DL1000 Red (sold)
2012 DL650 White (sold)
post #7 of 47 Old 09-21-2017, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Spent almost whole day installing stuff on the bike:
- Givi Rear Hugger, fully compatible, no issues at all.
- Replaced all black screws with stainless ones. It was the kit I had on '14 model that I removed before trading the bike in.
- R&G Side Stand Shoe, installed without issues. The side stand is the same on '14 and '18.
- Removed rear fender to install Suzuki LED indicators and SV650 licence plate light. Still have to install front LED indicators and find the relay to replace. It's not located where it was on '14 model. No issues.
- Givi Top Box base SR3105 gave me major issues. The cross-bracket that goes into the subframe (just bellow the seat) is too long. Spent hours bending it, making "waves" on it to get it shorter then had to grind a lot of it to fit. After it fitted, the tubes that go from that bracket to bellow the rear rack had incorrect shape. I had to apply a lot of pressure on them to make them align with the holes bellow the rack. I guess they are under a lot of stress now. i don't like it but will keep 'em that way until I find better solution. Givi has new kit, SR3112 for '18 model. So, I was the one to blame.
- Installed Adventuretech pegs lowering kit. No issues, fully compatible with '18 model. The only thing is, on the rear brake side it's now adjusted to have rear brake pedal in lowest possible position and it's perfect for me but may not be perfect for somebody else. Removed hero blobs and installed shorter ones (because of the kit).
- Installed SW Motech gearshift pedal removed from '14 model. No issues at all. Fully compatible.
- Installed handlebars risers, 22mm, that I removed from '14 model. The lenght of hoses and cables is the same on '18 and '14 model, so to me it looked I reached the limit on both bikes. Just had to cut some zip-ties and take front brake hose out of its "C" bracket and put it between two "C" brackets. removed throttle cables from their "C" bracket and routed them through "C" bracket I removed the brake hose from.
- Replaced clutch lever push-rod with one I removed from '14 model, that I grinded a bit few years back to have the cluch bite closer to handlebars.
- Replaced clutch and brake levers to ones I like better that I've got from eBay from China. Clutch side has more adjustment then OEM one. Yet, on the position closest to the bars, clutch switch wouldn't work. First I thought to keep it just one click further wher it worked but then tried to adjust the switch and it worked. Unscrewed little screw and voila, there was some movement avaliable. So, it works now with lever on the position closest to the bars.

It was late night when I finished for today. I hope to complete all the work tomorrow. It's gonna be the day for electrics. A lot of soldering and zip-ties.
Big B, stu53, tenny80 and 2 others like this.

2017 DL1000 White
2014 DL1000 Red (sold)
2012 DL650 White (sold)
post #8 of 47 Old 09-21-2017, 10:04 PM
Stromthusiast!

Do you plan to move your BMW deflectors as well? Or is the airflow different on the new model?

Thanks for the detailed reports. Nothing like that new bike smell!

-Gary
2014 V-Strom 1000 - Desert Khaki
2016 GSX-S1000FA
2012 DR650SE
2011 Burgman 400
2007 Honda Helix
2013 V-Strom 650 - sold
post #9 of 47 Old 09-21-2017, 10:29 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosnjo View Post
- Givi Top Box base SR3105 gave me major issues. The cross-bracket that goes into the subframe (just bellow the seat) is too long. Spent hours bending it, making "waves" on it to get it shorter then had to grind a lot of it to fit. After it fitted, the tubes that go from that bracket to bellow the rear rack had incorrect shape. I had to apply a lot of pressure on them to make them align with the holes bellow the rack. I guess they are under a lot of stress now. i don't like it but will keep 'em that way until I find better solution. Givi has new kit, SR3112 for '18 model. So, I was the one to blame.
https://www.giviusa.com/my-motorcycl...ar-rack-detail

I ran into the same issues, I just didn't install the bars. There is a nut welded in there that seems to be causing the problem, I think if we where to grind it off it would fit fine but I just couldn't bring myself to do it The 58L box seems VERY sturdy without the bar, and the new kit that Givi sells does not have it anyways. It does have the two arms that go down to where the bar used to go.

2018 Vstrom 1000
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Nomad
post #10 of 47 Old 09-22-2017, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dub View Post
Do you plan to move your BMW deflectors as well? Or is the airflow different on the new model?

Thanks for the detailed reports. Nothing like that new bike smell!
The airflow is different as the dash surrounding is a bit wider, there is a little "vent" hole in the fairing just at the front of the place I had my deflectors installed on '14 and the indicators are located in the area where that offending air was going through. I'll make a longer ride Saturday and decide if they're needed but I'm almost 90% sure they will be.

2017 DL1000 White
2014 DL1000 Red (sold)
2012 DL650 White (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode