Space Under the Seat - Page 3 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2017+ DL1000A - 2017 (L7) and later

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 50 Old 10-13-2017, 01:02 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayneh View Post
Other then gaining some space, is there any other benefit to removing the EVAP?
No but yours should not have it, it's not on the Canadian bikes as far as I know. Mine didn't have it.

2018 Vstrom 1000
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Nomad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 50 Old 10-23-2017, 02:12 AM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Can this vacuum be used for a Scottoiler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosnjo View Post
You can remove just the box but can not simply join the hoses because you'd have vacuum leak from airbox through the hoses into the tank. Removing hoses is so easy. Why having hoses under the seat if it takes just 10 minutes to take them off? Plug one of them and buy a foot of any kind of hose (same size as removed one) and reroute the other one bellow the tank.
I'm about to put a Scottoiler I retrieved from my 2005 DL1000 onto my new 2018 DL1000XT. Just reading this I wondered if teeing off the vacuum hose to the EVAP box in the tail would work. The EVAP hoses are way more accessible than fiddling about under the tank by the intake manifold. What do you reckon? or am I completely wrong? Cheers
post #23 of 50 Old 10-23-2017, 02:31 AM
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT

Garage
One of the hoses from the canister does go to the intake tract.

Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. I didn't quite make it to 17,000 miles on the 2012 DL650A.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 DL1000s. Vee2=2014-2016 DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 DL650s. Glee = 2012-2016 DL650s
See https://www.stromtrooper.com/general...nicknames.html

Please vote in the poll on what Strom(s) you have at https://www.stromtrooper.com/informa...-you-have.html

post #24 of 50 Old 10-23-2017, 03:27 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
One of the hoses from the canister does go to the intake tract.
One's from the petrol tank and one's from the intake, is that right? I'll have a poke around to see if I can identify which is which. Thanks.
post #25 of 50 Old 10-23-2017, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

I'll try to help as I have removed mine and remember the hoses' routing. They go parallel from the back of the bike, both hoses by the left side of the bike. When they reach the tank, the hose for the tank turns right and cross to the right side of the bike. The intake hose doesn't, it keeps going by the left side of the bike.

2017 DL1000 White
2014 DL1000 Red (sold)
2012 DL650 White (sold)
post #26 of 50 Old 10-25-2017, 02:14 AM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Great. Thanks
post #27 of 50 Old 11-14-2017, 08:33 AM
Stromthusiast!

Good to know, hoping to get a 2018 1000 next year, not the xt though, none of the cast wheel versions were imported here in 2017 I'm told, I love being able to remove all these modern emissions bs gadgets!!
post #28 of 50 Old 11-14-2017, 09:32 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayneh View Post
Other then gaining some space, is there any other benefit to removing the EVAP?
If you like to get every ounce of fuel you can into your tank, you can end up clogging the canister which may cause some running issues. Without the canister a tank overfill would spill out onto the ground through the vent hose.
I am not sure how finicky these canisters are as the bike I had this issue was a late 80's California model Kawasaki EX500.
The DL1000 apparently has 3 models.
49 state with no canister,
Federal emissions (which I would guess have the rectangular box canister)
and the California model that has the cylindrical canister.
I bought my DL1000 as a leftover in Colorado but it is a California model.
With my previous experience with the EX 500 canister, I am assuming that the California canister may clog easier if you overfill the fuel tank but this is only a guess.

This information is what I got from my dealer. It was interesting because they had two leftover 2014 models. I bought one and a friend bought the other. Mine is a Ca model and the other one shows as a Federal Emission model.

2014 DL1000A
2002 BMW K1200LT
Some people just don't get how a 300+ mile round trip for lunch makes sense.
If you are reading this, you probably do.

Last edited by 2wheelrob; 11-14-2017 at 09:34 AM.
post #29 of 50 Old 05-08-2018, 09:07 PM
Stromthusiast!

For 2018 California bike owners, I removed the charcoal canister, which freed up a ton of space under there:

Charcoal canister as it lives under the seat. Left hose goes to the air intake; right hose goes to the fuel tank. Not sure what the plugged nipple is for. There is also an open nipple on the backside of the canister.

Pop the clutch side under-seat plastic off and find the hose under it, disassemble it at the junction, and install a 6mm or 1/4" bolt into the engine side of the hose. Use the clamp to help secure the bolt.

Zip tie it up in there. Prop up the tank using the instructions in the manual. Follow the "other" hose (the right one coming off the canister) up to the bottom of the fuel tank (left nipple) and pull it off. Unhook it from the keeper under there.

Pull the canister up and out, and pull the hoses out. It may be easier to remove them from the canister and pull them towards the front of the bike. There is one reusable zip tie holding them to the clutch side subframe near the battery, unhook that as needed.

Using one of the removed hoses (or a new, similar diameter hose), attach to the nipple on the bottom of the fuel tank that you just revealed and route it down and to the throttle side bottom of the frame, near the footpeg, with the other vent / overflow hose that comes from the fuel tank. Forgot to take pics... sorry.

Reassemble. Trash your leftover parts, if you want. Keep them if you are OCD.

Done. Enjoy your underseat storage. You can use a razor knife to trim out the compartments, if you like; to make one big compartment.

"How rare that we can point ourselves inevitably west and go, go, go. Run out the highway and the hills. Slide our fingertips over the creases and the valleys of the impossibility that is America. You cant grasp its vastness from a plane. Its diversity from a map. You have to put your feet on the ground. Your hands in the dirt." - Zach Bowman

My SmugMug galleries (copy & paste)---> https://meefzah.smugmug.com/
post #30 of 50 Old 06-15-2019, 03:25 AM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

hello all,
sorry for bringing this old thread up, but since I found the info, I did not want to open new thread about it.

my question is, is this EVAP remove guide mentioned in this thread applicable for 650 v-stroms also ? 3rd gen 2017+
the charcoal canister looks exactly the same.

thanks in advance !
Peter Wilkin likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode