Space Under the Seat - Page 2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2017+ DL1000A - 2017 (L7) and later

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 50 Old 09-13-2017, 08:36 PM
Stromthusiast!

I've been considering one of these bikes. If I get one, where can I install my power distribution block, alarm system, and other electrical accessories that I need to install?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 50 Old 09-14-2017, 09:20 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosnjo View Post
Here it is:

Now let's wait for Greywolf and see if it can be removed and what has to be done with remaining hoses
Not sure about how the EVAP system is setup on the 1000's, but removing the EVAP system on any bike is very easy to do, and they are all basically the same setup. You do need to run the vent hose from the gas tank to the bottom of the bike along with the over flow hose from the gas tank, and on the PAIR / EVAP system removal kit I make and sell for Suzuki 1250 S/SA/FA models, I supply a 3-way tee fitting for connecting the two hoses together so that they can both run down to underneath the bike with the original overflow hose.

You also have to cap off the ports on the throttle bodies where the hoses attach to from the EVAP that allows the fuel fumes from the charcoal canister to be drawn back into the engine to be burned. On the 1250's the solenoid valve that opens to allow the fumes to go back into the throttle bodies is controlled by the ECM.

This winter I'm going to remove the gas tank and start work on removing the PAIR system from my 2018 by making up block off plates for the reed valves and making up a resistor that will replace the load from the solenoid valve that opens up to let the fresh air from the air box into the exhaust ports. On the 1250's if you don't connect a resistor to the bikes electrical system to fake it into thinking that the valve is still connected, you will get an FI warning light. I'm hoping that the resistor I make up for the kit I sell for the 1250's will also work on my 2018, as well as the reed valve block off plates, and if not I'll have map out the shape of the reed valve covers and machine up some new ones.

Here's a picture of the PAIR / EVAP system I designed, make and sell for the 1250's.

2018 black DL1000XA with Arrow header, Holeshot slip-on, mag rims w/silver rim tape, Custom Lamm seat, Aprilia Tuono mirrors, V-Stream sport screen, Givi hugger, Cox radiator guard, Kaoko throttle lock, V-Steam sport shield, led turn signals and lots of custom parts and mods.

2007 Suzuki Candy Sonoma Red naked Bandit 1250S/AK7.
post #13 of 50 Old 09-20-2017, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Picked up my new bike. My dealer is great, I told him about EVAP box and he removed it, no problem at all. It was 10 minutes job. No need to lift the tank. We just unscrewed right side long plastic, without removing it we moved it away a bit, disconnected the hose that runs from the tank, but didn't removed it from the tank. The hose has a lot of connections along the bike so we just disconnected the one that was closest to the tank. Using the existing hose connector we put new hose and run it to the bottom of the bike, right side again, beside one existing hose that is there already. As for the other hose, again the same story but this one is done on the left side of the bike. We again disconnected the connector closest to the air box we could find, plugged it with one bolt and put the clamp arround the hose so there is no air leak. And now I have my space under the seat again.

offnote and Peter Wilkin like this.

2017 DL1000 White
2014 DL1000 Red (sold)
2012 DL650 White (sold)

post #14 of 50 Old 09-22-2017, 04:01 AM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Just wondering if you could just remove the box itself and join the hoses?
post #15 of 50 Old 09-22-2017, 04:10 AM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Removing the box

Just wondering if you could just remove the box itself and join the hoses if the venting is not done at the box? Cheers.
post #16 of 50 Old 09-22-2017, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

You can remove just the box but can not simply join the hoses because you'd have vacuum leak from airbox through the hoses into the tank. Removing hoses is so easy. Why having hoses under the seat if it takes just 10 minutes to take them off? Plug one of them and buy a foot of any kind of hose (same size as removed one) and reroute the other one bellow the tank.
greywolf likes this.

2017 DL1000 White
2014 DL1000 Red (sold)
2012 DL650 White (sold)
post #17 of 50 Old 09-22-2017, 06:21 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Thanks bosnjo, Makes sense. I will look into that, sure is a pain loosing that storage area. It was good for storing the mini compressor and puncture repair gear etc. cheers.
post #18 of 50 Old 09-22-2017, 06:55 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I don't see that box on my 2018? was it up by the tool kit? if so mine didn't have it, I just stuffed an air pump in there

2018 Vstrom 1000
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Nomad
post #19 of 50 Old 09-23-2017, 12:42 AM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Yeah mines the 650, the 2015 I had never had this setup so keen to get it back 👌
post #20 of 50 Old 10-10-2017, 02:04 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Garage
Other then gaining some space, is there any other benefit to removing the EVAP?

Current ride:
2018 V Strom 1000 XT

Past rides:
Honda NX 125 enduro, Yamaha V-Star 650, Suzuki 1500 Intruder,
BMW R1150R, BMW K1200S,
Triumph Sprint ST 1050 (Caspian Blue), Triumph Sprint ST 1050 (Silver)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode