Lower chin spolier inserts removal - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2017+ DL1000A - 2017 (L7) and later

1Likes
  • 1 Post By MetrickMetal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 09-10-2017, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Lower chin spolier inserts removal

I want to paint the two silver inserts on the factory chin spoiler black. So are they removable, as I see two metal clips on each of the inserts on the backside of each insert.

2018 black DL1000XA with Arrow header, Holeshot slip-on, mag rims w/silver rim tape, Custom Lamm seat, Aprilia Tuono mirrors, V-Stream sport screen, Givi hugger, Cox radiator guard and lots of custom parts and mods

2007 Suzuki Candy Sonoma Red naked Bandit 1250S/AK7.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-12-2017, 08:34 PM
Stromthusiast!

I just took a look at mine. Those are what I call trim clips. They look a little different than the others I've seen. If it were me I'd take the cowl, still in tack, by a local body shop to be sure that if you fook them up you have a ready source. Sometimes you can re-use them - sometimes not.

Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT ['02 BMW K1200rs SOLD Aug '17]
post #3 of 6 Old 09-13-2017, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVDucati View Post
I just took a look at mine. Those are what I call trim clips. They look a little different than the others I've seen. If it were me I'd take the cowl, still in tack, by a local body shop to be sure that if you fook them up you have a ready source. Sometimes you can re-use them - sometimes not.
Thanks.

I'll check that out.

NVDucati likes this.

2018 black DL1000XA with Arrow header, Holeshot slip-on, mag rims w/silver rim tape, Custom Lamm seat, Aprilia Tuono mirrors, V-Stream sport screen, Givi hugger, Cox radiator guard and lots of custom parts and mods

post #4 of 6 Old 09-15-2017, 06:39 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
They are removable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0044.klein.jpg (33.2 KB, 59 views)

There is no better ride than a V-Strom ride
post #5 of 6 Old 04-01-2018, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

I gave one more try at removing the aluminum inserts from the chin spoiler this morning so that I could powder coat them rather the paint them in place, and I got them off.

The integral aluminum tabs on the inserts that fit into slots on the plastic and are bent over are just a back up to the double-sided adhesive tape that actually holds them on. I used a pair of needle nose pliers to carefully bend the tabs up, and then I used the needle nose plier to push on the tabs, and that when I realized that they were held on with double-sided tape.

So I carefully heated up the outer surface of the insert and once I got the one end of it lifted up enough, I could see that it was held on with DS tape, so I kept heading the insert and carefully pried it up until it came off.

Now I can powder coat them black which is going to look awesome, and on the raised portion of the plastic where the DS was applied, after I finish cleaning off all the tape and adhesive from both parts, I'm going to drill a couple of small holes through the raised area of the plastic, then I can hold the insert in place, and from the backside I can insert a the end rod into the hole until it hits the back side of the aluminum insert, which will tell me how thick of DS tape I need to use to re-attach it.

post #6 of 6 Old 04-02-2018, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

I decided that instead of attaching the aluminum inserts to the chin spoiler using double-sided VHB tape, that I would attach them with two M4 S/S button head screws instead, which will allow me to easily remove them if I ever need to re-powder coat them if needed or change the color.

The two mounting screws on each insert will be drilled approximately where the black felt pen marks are, and after using a little more heat on removing the smaller second insert this morning, I was able to determine that the DB tape is about .090 in thickness. So I decided that some small rubber washers would work great as supports between the inserts and the chin spoiler plastic to support the area around the screws when they are tightened down. I'm also going to apply some of the rubber washers along the other area where the DB tape was to help support the inserts when the screws are tightened down.

Since I am not going to use the two small aluminum tabs now, I cut them off on my band saw and blended the areas in on my small belt sander, and tomorrow I'll spray them with oven cleaner to remove the anodize coating I'm sure that they have to prepare them for powder coating.

The chin spoiler is made up of (3) pieces that are hooked and screwed together, and after finding it very hard to figure out how to separate the pieces to make it easier to work with, I decided to support the chin spoiler using a piece of scrap aluminum the I drilled and tapped a threaded hole in each end and bolted it in place on the two rear mounting screw holes, and it makes the whole thing rigid enough to work with without damaging it.

I've sent off for an assortment of satin and matte finish black powder coat samples to pick from for powder coating the aluminum inserts with.

Last edited by MetrickMetal; 04-02-2018 at 10:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode