Lowering the Seat Height - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2017+ DL1000A - 2017 (L7) and later

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 09-09-2017, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Lowering the Seat Height

I'm considering a move up in CCs and touring capability from my Gladius to the new V-Strom 1000. My problem is that I have about a 29" inseam on a good day. I see that Suzuki offers a Low Seat for the Strom 1000, but I'm not sure how much lower it actually is. Sargent offers a Low Seat that's about 1" lower than stock, but I'm sure that only 1" lower won't be enough for me. I also see that lowering links are available, so I suppose if I got the Sargent Low Seat and some 7/8" Lower Links, that might be enough, but I surely can't go and drop the big bucks on a new bike without being absolutely certain on all of this.

Do you have any other suggestions or info that may help?

Last edited by Sentinel; 09-10-2017 at 02:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 09-10-2017, 12:14 PM
Stromthusiast!

Suzuki low seat is about 20mm (2cm) lower than stock. From what I've heard, the seat itself is a bit less padded (foam removed) therefore less comfortable. I bought AdventureTech lowering links (forum member) but I haven't installed it yet. After about 2 months of ownership I think I just got used to my bike's height. Unfortunately, it's impossible to determine if any of these remedies will be adequate, you gotta ride a bike to tell if it works for you or not.
Old Time Rider likes this.

Toronto, Canada
------------------
2015 V-Strom 1000
post #3 of 18 Old 10-03-2017, 07:48 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddybane View Post
Suzuki low seat is about 20mm (2cm) lower than stock. From what I've heard, the seat itself is a bit less padded (foam removed) therefore less comfortable. I bought AdventureTech lowering links (forum member) but I haven't installed it yet. After about 2 months of ownership I think I just got used to my bike's height. Unfortunately, it's impossible to determine if any of these remedies will be adequate, you gotta ride a bike to tell if it works for you or not.
I am only 5'7". I did test ride a BMW R1200GSA, and didn't have any issues, but I also weighed 100 lbs more back then....so....

post #4 of 18 Old 10-03-2017, 07:49 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post
I'm considering a move up in CCs and touring capability from my Gladius to the new V-Strom 1000. My problem is that I have about a 29" inseam on a good day. I see that Suzuki offers a Low Seat for the Strom 1000, but I'm not sure how much lower it actually is. Sargent offers a Low Seat that's about 1" lower than stock, but I'm sure that only 1" lower won't be enough for me. I also see that lowering links are available, so I suppose if I got the Sargent Low Seat and some 7/8" Lower Links, that might be enough, but I surely can't go and drop the big bucks on a new bike without being absolutely certain on all of this.

Do you have any other suggestions or info that may help?
I did read somewhere about removing rubber blocks from under the seat to lower it. May apply only to older Stroms..I don't know.
post #5 of 18 Old 10-03-2017, 08:03 PM
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

You can use lowering linkage plates and raise the fork tubes in the triple clamps. Many Vee2 owners have done this. It is not hard or expensive.

Gen 2 DL1000 - AdventureTech, LLC.

Feel free to call me if you want to talk about it. See contact information on my website.
post #6 of 18 Old 10-03-2017, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
29" inseam should be no issue, and you most certainly do not need to flat foot a motorcycle.
Old Time Rider, BrianS and dwayneh like this.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #7 of 18 Old 10-03-2017, 08:33 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddybane View Post
Its (suzuki low seat) also narrower (thus more rounded) towards the tank. The "less comfortable" is subjective... I actually find my low seat more comfortable than the stock seat.
Rolex and dwayneh like this.

~Mark

2015 DL1000A
2005 YZ250
post #8 of 18 Old 10-04-2017, 12:44 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
I am going to the dealership this evening to sign some paperwork, and actually throw a leg over the 1000. I have only ever sat on the 650, so before I take delivery I better see now if I need the lowered seat.
Big B likes this.

Current ride:
2018 V Strom 1000 XT

Past rides:
Honda NX 125 enduro, Yamaha V-Star 650, Suzuki 1500 Intruder,
BMW R1150R, BMW K1200S,
Triumph Sprint ST 1050 (Caspian Blue), Triumph Sprint ST 1050 (Silver)
post #9 of 18 Old 10-04-2017, 02:34 PM
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Confession time. I have a 30" inseam. One of my legs is slightly shorter than the other two, and I occasionally fall over when at a stop. It's very embarrassing.
post #10 of 18 Old 10-04-2017, 02:55 PM
Stromthusiast!

Boots

I have the prob because I got a custom saddle, which is thicker. I got RR's lowering links and got back the in or so I'd lost. Others have also mentioned getting logger-type boots which have full last, metal plate, and Vibram sole, all which will add a good in of "leg length." I have the Forma Adventure boots, which also add at least an in in leg length and provide lots of protection. I think one forum member got a shoe repair shop to make up a High Sole boot for him by gluing material to the boot mid sole, it's kind of short platform shoe/boot and may be workable for you.

https://www.formabootsusa.com/collections/all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
1000 , height , lower , seat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode