Seat lettering removal - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2017+ DL1000A - 2017 (L7) and later

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 08-27-2017, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Seat lettering removal

Iím picking up my new 2018 DL1000XT on Tuesday. So does anyone know if itís possible to remove the painted on ďSuzukiĒ in white on each side of the seat without damaging the seat fabric.

Iíve done some searches and found that people say that they have removed painted on lettering from motorcycle seats with brake cleaner and goo- gone as well as some other methods.

2018 black DL1000XA with Arrow header, Holeshot slip-on, mag rims w/silver rim tape, Custom Lamm seat, Aprilia Tuono mirrors, V-Stream sport screen, Givi hugger, Cox radiator guard and lots of custom parts and mods

2007 Suzuki Candy Sonoma Red naked Bandit 1250S/AK7.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-27-2017, 09:11 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Don't know. I've used goo-gone on other stuff without it ruining it. I might try a drop on the seat material where it wraps under the seat structure and is stapled and wait a week or two to see if it eats up the vinyl.

2015 DL650XT w/ factory Suzuki/Motech side cases and engine guard.
First farkle - Motech center stand
Suzuki handguards
Augustus Wind Deflectors
Fat, foamy grips
Givi AirFlow windscreen
Go-Cruise throttle lock
JD Astar 1260 lumen LED tail light bulb
Suzuki (SW Motech) Top Case
Hyde Racing skid plate
Adventuretech kickstand foot, fork brace, fender raising kit, and peg lowering kit.
Zita 26mm up / 20mm back risers
Sit and Fly Seat Net

So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them. Genesis 1:27
post #3 of 9 Old 08-27-2017, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd70qc View Post
Don't know. I've used goo-gone on other stuff without it ruining it. I might try a drop on the seat material where it wraps under the seat structure and is stapled and wait a week or two to see if it eats up the vinyl.
That's what I already am planning on doing, using a Q-tip to apply a few things on the bottom of the seat to how the vinyl reacts.

2018 black DL1000XA with Arrow header, Holeshot slip-on, mag rims w/silver rim tape, Custom Lamm seat, Aprilia Tuono mirrors, V-Stream sport screen, Givi hugger, Cox radiator guard and lots of custom parts and mods

post #4 of 9 Old 08-28-2017, 08:54 AM
Stromthusiast!

I have a bran new 2014 seat if you want to trade. I like the white lettering.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-28-2017, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhare View Post
Where do you live, and did you take the stock seat off your 2014 and replace it with an after market seat. When I go to the dealer tomorrow to pick up my bike I'm going to see what the part number is for the 2018 black seat, and see if it's the same as the 2014 seat part number.

post #6 of 9 Old 08-28-2017, 11:11 AM
Stromthusiast!

It wouldn't be the same part number as one has the lettering and the other one doesn't but I'm 99% sure the structure is the same.

2017 DL1000 White
2014 DL1000 Red (sold)
2012 DL650 White (sold)
post #7 of 9 Old 08-29-2017, 04:11 AM
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Try mineral spirits. I used it to clean my KTM 300 EXC seat many years ago. It took the "KTM" off completely with no harm to the vynl seat cover itself.
post #8 of 9 Old 08-29-2017, 09:05 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetrickMetal View Post
Quote:
Where do you live, and did you take the stock seat off your 2014 and replace it with an after market seat. When I go to the dealer tomorrow to pick up my bike I'm going to see what the part number is for the 2018 black seat, and see if it's the same as the 2014 seat part number.

I just bought the bike as a new leftover in March of this year. I bought the Suzuki tall seat. I live in northern Virginia.
post #9 of 9 Old 09-04-2017, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
I just bought the bike as a new leftover in March of this year. I bought the Suzuki tall seat. I live in northern Virginia.
Thanks for the reply and let me think about it, but after 400 miles on the seat I think I will be doing a ride in to a really good seat guy in Redding CA, Seth Laam.

He reworked the front seat on my 2013 FJR1300 by adding several different types of foam to the seat, and then reshaping the foam and recovered it and the passenger seat to match, and it's been on of the best seats I've every sat on and super comfortable, and looks great to boot.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode