2018 VStrom 1000 or Honda Africa Twin? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2017+ DL1000A - 2017 (L7) and later

23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 Old 06-20-2017, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

2018 VStrom 1000 or Honda Africa Twin?

I have posted this thread on V-Strom.co.uk but thought I might get more opinions from this forum...
After 9 years with a BMW 1200RT (couple second bikes in this time span as well), I got bored and need a change, plus the Beemer is getting heavy for me. I do not go on multi day trips any more, just a day or half day joy rides, and I am 71 as well..
I had the opportunity to test ride Africa Twin, great handling, great suspension, great engine. Not so great wind protection and overall ride comfort. I will be test riding the new DL1000 next week. I plan to ride 95% paved roads with occasional hard packed forestry road in between. However, here in New Brunswick the secondary and tertiary country roads are in terrible shape, lots of badly filled potholes and bumps of various nature. I wonder how the new Vstrom 1000 with fully adjustable front and rear would handle that. Its 16/16 cm front/rear travel is pretty short of 23/22 cm travel on Africa Twin, but still...? Smooth comfortable ride is more important to me than performance or high speed handling.
It seems to me that the Africa Twin with its off-road character might be an overkill for my needs and VStrom might give me more ride comfort. Any thoughts/comments on that?

2016 Honda Africa Twin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 06-20-2017, 12:02 PM
Stromthusiast!

Are you limiting your choices to just those two, or open for others?

If open, you may want to take a look at the Yamaha Super Tenere ES.

Good luck!!!

"I need a sig line........"
post #3 of 37 Old 06-20-2017, 12:04 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Since you prefer to do mostly paved roads go for the Strom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big B, Satch, VSrider and 1 others like this.

-John

post #4 of 37 Old 06-20-2017, 12:10 PM
Stromthusiast!

Agree, Strom all the way for 95% on-road and 0% gnarly stuff. Not even close. What you did not mention, and should be taken into serious consideration, is the tubed tires on the AT. For the type of riding you describe, tubed tires should automatically end the debate.
Bugzy likes this.

2014 DL650 (sold)
2014 DL1000
post #5 of 37 Old 06-20-2017, 03:50 PM
Stromthusiast!

Don't rule out the DL650. Sweeeeeet engine, a little lighter and still plenty enough power for your kind of riding (assume one up).
Big B and VSrider like this.
post #6 of 37 Old 06-20-2017, 07:10 PM
Stromthusiast!

You don't mention if price is a consideration. But since you posted in the '18 section I'd point out there isn't a huge difference between the '14-'16 models and the new one. There was no '17 atleast here in the U.S. and the leftover new models in those earlier years are selling for ~30% off making them a steal and often much less than an Africa Twin. The V-Strom has a large accessory assortment and once you start it's hard to stop. I love my Vee2 and if I did more off-road I'd go Africa Twin but I don't. For mostly street I don't want that tall and narrow of a tire and as mentioned, tubed.

As for the Super Tenere recommended above I'm pretty sure that weighs close to or more than the R1200RT you say is getting too heavy and definitely more than the other 2.

Enjoy the test drive. Hopefully you can get over 50mph for more than 2secs like the ones over here
post #7 of 37 Old 06-20-2017, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by colostrom View Post
Are you limiting your choices to just those two, or open for others?

If open, you may want to take a look at the Yamaha Super Tenere ES.

Good luck!!!
The reason I am looking at DL1000 or AT is their weight, around 230 kg. All the big ADV bikes are much heavier. So the weight and good suspension are my main objectives.
As for the DL650, I used to have a 2013 version for two seasons. Great bike but for smooth roads. I wonder if they improved the front for 2017, but I hear that it doesn't even have now the preload adjustment.

2016 Honda Africa Twin
post #8 of 37 Old 06-20-2017, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisky View Post
You don't mention if price is a consideration.
I am hoping that Suzuki will drop the price by at least by 10% in August, as they always do here in Canada. At the same time, I made arrangements with the local Honda dealer whose AT I test rode, that I will be the first to be offered this demo bike at discount, again at least 10% off. So I am kind of working on two fronts...

2016 Honda Africa Twin
post #9 of 37 Old 06-20-2017, 07:43 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luma View Post
The reason I am looking at DL1000 or AT is their weight, around 230 kg. All the big ADV bikes are much heavier. So the weight and good suspension are my main objectives.
As for the DL650, I used to have a 2013 version for two seasons. Great bike but for smooth roads. I wonder if they improved the front for 2017, but I hear that it doesn't even have now the preload adjustment.
The Tenere does carry more weight, but it carries it very well - and based on your intended use, I think it would clearly be a great choice. If nothing more, the drive shaft, standard heated grips, a GREAT cruise control would more than offset the (slight) negative of extra weight. The ES is a fantastic bike!! Oh so easy to dial-in as load and road conditions vary.

"I need a sig line........"
post #10 of 37 Old 06-20-2017, 09:13 PM
$tromtrooper

For your description get the DL650 well farkled....lighter than the DL1000, carries the same amount of weight, long fuel range. 213 KG - better gas mileage = longer range...I got 470 km on a tank last weekend and I was not on fumes.
Try the DL650 first then you have some loot to do suspension but I recall watching buddy ahead of me on the 650 floating over serious frost heaves on The James Bay Road

You might not have to do a thing.

And if you are touring at all ...this seems a very good deal for a low km machine ...
2015 suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS EXP | utilitaires, promenade | Laval/Rive Nord | Kijiji

or this and do you own farkling
SUZUKI V-STROM DL650 ABS 2017 | utilitaires, promenade | Ville de Montréal | Kijiji

there are a number in Quebec and dealers are savvy about shipping to another province ( sales tax etc. )

I bought my CBF in Quebec

I cannot see a single reason for the Africa Twin from your description.

Ontario Canada rider staying in Cairns Australian Feb to May & Aug-Oct each year
Canada 2018 CB500x >2009 CBF1000 sold 10 Wee ABS sold09 Burgman Exec sold • 10 NT700v sold
Australia> 04 KLR65093 ST1100 sold
Travel photos> https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries Oz riding >https://tinyurl.com/y4c7lm87

Last edited by Macdoc; 06-20-2017 at 09:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode