The windscreen and buffeting thread for the 2017+ DL1000, the only one! - Page 4 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2017+ DL1000A - 2017 (L7) and later

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 39 Old 10-18-2018, 07:42 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenny80 View Post
I had an airstream on my 2014 and it was great, but i was just looking at the Puig as a cheaper option. How are you liking yours now that you've got 6 months of use on it?
Hard to say exactly because it's the only windshield I've used, but here goes.

The Puig worked pretty good for me this summer. I rode about 3000 miles, with about 2500 of those miles two up. The Puig seemed to work better when riding solo.

Mount position is important. I used it in the lowest mounted position except for one time when I had it in the middle attachment position. I didn't like the middle bolt-on height and returned to the lowest bolt-on position. I did add 5mm thick spacers between the windshield and the mounting arms to allow a little more space for air to travel "thru" the windshield, and these spacers did improve the windshield just a bit. It might be worthwhile to cut off a little (an inch or so?) off the very bottom of the Puig to allow more air to flow "thru" the windshield.

The Puig windshield works very well with the V Strom 1000's windshield angle easy adjustment. The closest angle position provides nice steady clean air, allowing the helmet vents to do their thing. The next position is a good compromise between deflecting bugs and minimal buffet. The most forward position really keeps the bugs off my face shield, but tends to rattle the helmet at times. And this all changes with relative wind speed.

All of this will be dependent on your "sitting" height, meaning, how high is your helmet in relationship to the top of the windshield. For reference, I'm 5' 11" with 32" inseam, and I have a modified seat which holds me just a tad taller than the stock seat. It seems that if I were sitting an inch lower, the Puig would be almost calm.

And of course, strong cross winds really mess things up.

One thing else to note, is helmet choice. Some helmets will catch the top turbulence and make a small situation horrible. I have a Shoei GT Air which is exactly that- a small amount of turbulence sounds like a jet engine. On the contrast, I have a Scorpion EXO 1000 which is just a tad small, so not so comfortable, but the EXO is substantially less noisy. Plus, the EXO doesn't fog very easily. So much for "pay more, get more".

Hope all this helps.

18 1000 XT yellow. Bunch of goodies installed.
2015 Yamaha WR250F- Street plated woods bike
Previous rides- about 25 different bikes, mostly dirtbikes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 Old 10-18-2018, 09:28 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazooka Joe View Post
Hard to say exactly because it's the only windshield I've used, but here goes.

The Puig worked pretty good for me this summer. I rode about 3000 miles, with about 2500 of those miles two up. The Puig seemed to work better when riding solo.

Mount position is important. I used it in the lowest mounted position except for one time when I had it in the middle attachment position. I didn't like the middle bolt-on height and returned to the lowest bolt-on position. I did add 5mm thick spacers between the windshield and the mounting arms to allow a little more space for air to travel "thru" the windshield, and these spacers did improve the windshield just a bit. It might be worthwhile to cut off a little (an inch or so?) off the very bottom of the Puig to allow more air to flow "thru" the windshield.

The Puig windshield works very well with the V Strom 1000's windshield angle easy adjustment. The closest angle position provides nice steady clean air, allowing the helmet vents to do their thing. The next position is a good compromise between deflecting bugs and minimal buffet. The most forward position really keeps the bugs off my face shield, but tends to rattle the helmet at times. And this all changes with relative wind speed.

All of this will be dependent on your "sitting" height, meaning, how high is your helmet in relationship to the top of the windshield. For reference, I'm 5' 11" with 32" inseam, and I have a modified seat which holds me just a tad taller than the stock seat. It seems that if I were sitting an inch lower, the Puig would be almost calm.

And of course, strong cross winds really mess things up.

One thing else to note, is helmet choice. Some helmets will catch the top turbulence and make a small situation horrible. I have a Shoei GT Air which is exactly that- a small amount of turbulence sounds like a jet engine. On the contrast, I have a Scorpion EXO 1000 which is just a tad small, so not so comfortable, but the EXO is substantially less noisy. Plus, the EXO doesn't fog very easily. So much for "pay more, get more".

Hope all this helps.
Huge help thank you very much Joe!

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

2018 Vstrom 1000
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Nomad
post #33 of 39 Old 11-01-2018, 06:00 PM
Stromthusiast!

- 2" on the OEM

"How rare that we can point ourselves inevitably west and go, go, go. Run out the highway and the hills. Slide our fingertips over the creases and the valleys of the impossibility that is America. You canít grasp its vastness from a plane. Itís diversity from a map. You have to put your feet on the ground. Your hands in the dirt." - Zach Bowman

My SmugMug galleries (copy & paste)---> https://meefzah.smugmug.com/

post #34 of 39 Old 11-20-2018, 02:23 PM
Stromthusiast!

^

-2" on the OEM shield, lowest setting, spacers on the bottom shield bolts, plus the Seat Concepts 'tall' seat has gotten my personal buffeting issues dialed in. Wind hits me right about nose level now and it's a clean stream of air. When I crack my helmet shield I get a very nice flow of air inside the helmet. I'm quite comfortable up to about 85 mph; after that buffeting returns but it's on par with the previous buffeting so I have no concerns with that.

The shield cut easily using just the duct tape as a straight edge with a Dremel 'reinforced' cut off wheel, and the edges were then rounded / beveled with a bastard file. Spacers are leftover from some other project and are hard nylon, approx 12mm thick.

"How rare that we can point ourselves inevitably west and go, go, go. Run out the highway and the hills. Slide our fingertips over the creases and the valleys of the impossibility that is America. You canít grasp its vastness from a plane. Itís diversity from a map. You have to put your feet on the ground. Your hands in the dirt." - Zach Bowman

post #35 of 39 Old 01-23-2019, 02:30 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
- 2" on the OEM

Hows the lower screen holding up? I am thinking about getting a vstream small wind screen. Any disadvantages with the lower screen?
post #36 of 39 Old 01-24-2019, 11:33 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujirio View Post
Hows the lower screen holding up? I am thinking about getting a vstream small wind screen. Any disadvantages with the lower screen?
Holding up fine. No cracking or anything from the cutting if that's what you mean. I did notice that with the screen tilted back (see the spacers on the lower mounts in the above pics) I was getting very clean airflow. However, the bolts on the windscreen just would not stay tight in that configuration - very weird. They would loosen after 100 miles to the point where they were completely separated from the threaded inserts and were just flopping around in the "cups" on the screen. You can't loctite them because loctite will eat the screen / crack it. I ended up removing the spacers and leaving the screen "flat" against the mounts in the factory orientation. This causes a bit more buffeting than previously but still less than before I cut down the shield.

post #37 of 39 Old 01-25-2019, 05:07 PM
Stromthusiast!

Can't you simply put one nut on the opposite side of the bracket? It means a bit longer screw that would go through the bracket far enough to leave a thread behind the bracket. Holding the head of the screw not to turn and tightening the nut (yes, I know) with the wrench would fix the screw better then any loctite.

2017 DL1000 White
2014 DL1000 Red (sold)
2012 DL650 White (sold)
post #38 of 39 Old 01-26-2019, 06:21 PM
Stromthusiast!

My concern with forcing the windscreen to be angled tight when it clearly doesn't want to be is that the increased vibration causing the bolts to loosen could probably crack the screen if those bolts become immovable.

post #39 of 39 Old 01-27-2019, 06:32 AM
Stromthusiast!

But your screen has its rubber bushings, doesn't it? So it's not holding completely tight, it has some room to vibrate freely. If you use "counter nut" the way I explained it, you can even have the screws not completely tight as the counter nut will hold them in place but between the screw and the screen there will be still some room, rubber bushings or not. So, just screw the screws in, the way you like it, keeping them loose a bit if you wish, put the counter nut behind the bracket, hold the head of the screw with allen key and tighten the nut behind. If you don't let the screw turn, it won't tighten against the screen.

2017 DL1000 White
2014 DL1000 Red (sold)
2012 DL650 White (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode