Are front and rear brake systems connected? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 11-03-2019, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Are front and rear brake systems connected?

I installed Rox 2" risers and following the info found in the other tread I rerouted the cabling and hoses behind the top triple clamp. It seems to be fine like that, clutch hose has a lot of slack but the front brake - it looks to be pretty tight on that metal connector attached to the frame by the steering head. So my question: If I was to have a failure in that area (or any other) that would cause the fluid to leak from the front brake system and therefore cause loss of pressure in it will it affect also the rear brake?

Custom signature...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-03-2019, 12:30 AM
Stromthusiast!

No it will not! They are not connected in our bikes.

But that transition piece is very tough and will not easily be damaged. In fact I helped the same problem by carefully bending the pipe sections, made a little bracket and moved the block upwards a little and thus gained a little more slack for my setup. Not that I recommend you do this but I am not concerned about losing the front brakes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2949_c.jpg (284.9 KB, 21 views)
offwegoagain likes this.

Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A
post #3 of 13 Old 11-03-2019, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Good idea, thanks!

Custom signature...

post #4 of 13 Old 11-03-2019, 12:11 PM
$tromtrooper

I believe the front and rear weren't connected until the 2018 model. Some rear is applied when the front is used.

DL-1000 L8
DL-650 K5 red(122K)
09 DRZ400
The thrill of living should never be traded
for the safety of existence.
Member of the 100,000 mile club.
post #5 of 13 Old 11-03-2019, 11:13 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
The front and rear brakes are connected on the 2018 models but not in the typical sense that brakes are “linked” or “combined” on a motorcycle. Rather than the front and rear brakes working together under ordinary circumstances, the Suzuki system allows the ABS system, not the rider, to shift brake pressure from a slipping wheel to the other wheel.

I used to ride a 1994 CBR1000F Sport-Tourer with Honda’s “Combined Braking System”; a design in which the the front calipers proportionately powered one piston on the rear caliper and the rear caliper powered one piston on each front caliper. Some people didn’t like it but I thought it worked very, very well and I think I’m pretty picky about brakes.
2thDr and Macdoc like this.

2014 DL1000AL4 with R77 and PCFC
2015 FZ-07 with Akrapovic and PC-V
post #6 of 13 Old 11-04-2019, 07:02 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorazr View Post
The front and rear brakes are connected on the 2018 models but not in the typical sense that brakes are “linked” or “combined” on a motorcycle. Rather than the front and rear brakes working together under ordinary circumstances, the Suzuki system allows the ABS system, not the rider, to shift brake pressure from a slipping wheel to the other wheel.

I used to ride a 1994 CBR1000F Sport-Tourer with Honda’s “Combined Braking System”; a design in which the the front calipers proportionately powered one piston on the rear caliper and the rear caliper powered one piston on each front caliper. Some people didn’t like it but I thought it worked very, very well and I think I’m pretty picky about brakes.
My VFR 800 (6th gen) had the linked brakes as well...I thought Honda did a great bit of engineering. When using front lever only at the track, would get just enough rear brake to settle the chassis...

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Macdoc and Motorazr like this.

2015 DL1000 ADV
post #7 of 13 Old 11-04-2019, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
My question was purely regarding the physical, pressurized connection between the two ends. I was mainly concerned there may be some common cylinder or something like that in the ABS pump that could cause loss of braking power on one end when the other end is open. Linked brakes (or partially linked) are fine but it's a whole different animal.
blaustrom likes this.

Custom signature...
post #8 of 13 Old 11-07-2019, 11:53 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by offwegoagain View Post
My question was purely regarding the physical, pressurized connection between the two ends. I was mainly concerned there may be some common cylinder or something like that in the ABS pump that could cause loss of braking power on one end when the other end is open. Linked brakes (or partially linked) are fine but it's a whole different animal.
If the bike has a separate reservoir to fill (front and back) with DOT4 then they are separate lines.
post #9 of 13 Old 11-07-2019, 03:21 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugzy View Post
If the bike has a separate reservoir to fill (front and back) with DOT4 then they are separate lines.
Not necessarily. My FJR1300 has a front and rear reservoir. The rear brake actuates the 2 rear cylinders and one of the front right cylinders. There is a proportioning valve that regulates this to work only during hard braking.

L2 DL650 Adventure

bike X miles=smiles
smiles ÷ bike=miles
smiles ÷ miles=bike.
It's simple math.
https://www.directavionics.com/
post #10 of 13 Old 11-08-2019, 02:13 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dravnx View Post
Not necessarily. My FJR1300 has a front and rear reservoir. The rear brake actuates the 2 rear cylinders and one of the front right cylinders. There is a proportioning valve that regulates this to work only during hard braking.
Except we are talking about a V-Strom, not an FJR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode