Lowering a 2014 vstrom 1000 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old 10-09-2019, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Lowering a 2014 vstrom 1000

Hello, I am looking for an easy way to slightly lower my seat height. I'm about 5 10 and cannot touch flat foot. I've read that the 650 seats sit lower and that is the easiest, cheapest way to lower the seat height. I have a Sargent seat installed and have the stock seat also, which I've never used. Just curious if the 650 seat will make any difference and how to find sale items on this forum. I've searched seats for sale with no luck. Thanks....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 10-09-2019, 09:24 AM
$tromtrooper

Garage
Easiest way (and cheapest) would be to lower the suspension.
You can lower the rear with lowering links
https://www.adventuretech.biz/gen-2--3-dl1000.html

And then drop the front a bit by raising the forks in the trees
richlandrick, chirosyd and Gert like this.

Chuck P
2004 DL1000
2003 FZ1
www.oldjeep.com
post #3 of 33 Old 10-09-2019, 09:56 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjlfz1 View Post
Hello, I am looking for an easy way to slightly lower my seat height. I'm about 5 10 and cannot touch flat foot. I've read that the 650 seats sit lower and that is the easiest, cheapest way to lower the seat height. I have a Sargent seat installed and have the stock seat also, which I've never used. Just curious if the 650 seat will make any difference and how to find sale items on this forum. I've searched seats for sale with no luck. Thanks....

There are rubber bumpers on the bottom of the seat that can be removed, shaved down, etc.

But...

There's no need to flat foot the bike with both feet. You bought a bike with higher ground clearance. At stops you lean the bike to the left a bit and put your left foot down (yea flat down!). The right foot stays on the peg and brake pedal.
AZ Pete and Webfors like this.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. 1 Cor 13:13

post #4 of 33 Old 10-09-2019, 09:59 AM
$tromtrooper

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec View Post
There are rubber bumpers on the bottom of the seat that can be removed, shaved down, etc.

But...

There's no need to flat foot the bike with both feet. You bought a bike with higher ground clearance. At stops you lean the bike to the left a bit and put your left foot down (yea flat down!). The right foot stays on the peg and brake pedal.
If you ride in traffic at all, not being able to flat foot a bike gets old real quick. I dropped my 2004 3/4" with the adventuretech lowering kit so that I could stand flat foot and get my butt off the seat a little at a stop. I'm 6ft, but it is a different generation bike than a 2014.
richlandrick and Dan Wall like this.

Chuck P
2004 DL1000
2003 FZ1
www.oldjeep.com

Last edited by oldjeep; 10-09-2019 at 10:02 AM.
post #5 of 33 Old 10-09-2019, 10:02 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjlfz1 View Post
I lowered my bike (2014 V 1000) using the links from member, Richlandrick http://www.adventuretech.biz/ I'm a couple of inches taller than you but still it was too tall to be able to spread my feet on the ground enough to be really stable when stopped. Walking it backwards while on the bike was ify, at best. Like a lot of folks I don't use it as a proper dirt bike, just fire roads etc.

The lowering links from Rick are high quality, moderately priced and the installation is easy and comes with comprehensive instructions.

Beyond the convenience of ground handling, the slightly lowered center of gravity has made a better canyon carver and on the fire roads it is happy to broad slide in a steady arch. I haven't bothered to lower the seat but if I did I would shave an inch off the -bottom- of the stock seat foam so that the cover still fits.

Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT ['02 BMW K1200rs SOLD Aug '17]
post #6 of 33 Old 10-09-2019, 12:42 PM
$tromtrooper

The newer model 650 and 1000 seats are not interchangeable. Only early versions.
Lowering links and dropping the forks in the triple clamps is your best bet. 3/4" should do.

DL-1000 L8
DL-650 K5 red(122K)
09 DRZ400
The thrill of living should never be traded
for the safety of existence.
Member of the 100,000 mile club.
post #7 of 33 Old 10-09-2019, 01:04 PM
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Well, since you asked for advice (it's the magic step like invited a vampire into your home), check this method of determining how much lowering you need.

https://www.adventuretech.biz/how-mu...do-i-need.html
post #8 of 33 Old 10-09-2019, 01:32 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

My heart bleeds for you guys, ha ha. I'm 5'7" and have never had a bike that I could "flat foot". I have been riding since 1960....

My VStrom 1000 is just fine.
Spec, Webfors, Griff2 and 1 others like this.
post #9 of 33 Old 10-09-2019, 01:45 PM
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

5'7" with a 36" inseam?

The ladies must love you.
Webfors, swillis659 and oldjeep like this.
post #10 of 33 Old 10-09-2019, 04:12 PM
$tromtrooper

5'8" here and I'm managing the '18 1000. Would I like the inch back from my 650, yes! I can't put my sit n' fly cover on because it makes the bike too high for comfort.

Two wheelz for realz!
'18 DL1000XT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode