StromTrooper banner

Saddle sore

9K views 50 replies 32 participants last post by  LeisureSuitLarry 
#1 ·
Bike is a 2016 DL1000A and i am beginning to develop seat discomfort on rides from 50 miles on up where it feels my b...ls are being pushed up in addition to getting numb. I am aware of the options to remedy this, like bar raisers(up and back, to change riding posture) and customizing/recontouring saddle in front(there is a place down the road from Portland with good reputation). Has anyone had success with an Airhawk inflatable saddle pad or any other brand..?

#3 ·
I've tried the Airhawk on a different bike a few years ago. It was not a miracle cure for me. They may have gotten better. I found that by the time I got enough air into it to feel any difference, it would leave me feeling disconnected.

Rick from Adventure Tech put a post a while back about cutting a fore&aft oval out of the foam to offer a fancier ballroom. He spoke well of it. Don't know if he suggested using a "melon" scooper. I couldn't find the post just now. He may chime in.

You would have to remove some staples in order to fold back the front of the cover enough to do it. Re-stapling take a very good stapler.

#4 ·
I feel your pain, I hated the stock seat on my 2014 enough to have a custom seat built.

#6 ·
The problem with n Airhawk is that the day will come that it no longer holds air- like mine did.

Underwear- I agree with the earlier post.

The stock seat is built completely wrong in every way ergonomically. It is designed for the lines of the bike, not for the human who rides it. Go visit the Portland upholstery shop, or send it to Russell over the winter for a proper rebuild, it is worth the cost, I've done this for 2 bikes.

Please, don't spend money on easy fixes, they will not satisfy and will only waste your cash.

Steve.

#7 ·
#8 ·
been there, started having a few issues "down there". The stock seat isnt the worst seat ive had, for a stock seat, but it does end up putting a lot of pressure right in the middle there. I went the seat route. Its the best way without spending money on temp fixes.

#9 ·
I use an Airhawk occasionally on my 650. It works, but takes some experimenting. I use it as a relief device for the last hour on the way home. By that time, anything helps. The Airhawk works when it is almost completely flat underneath you. For me, that makes a bulge in front and behind, which makes another new problem. Less air makes it better.

I'd want to test ride a new seat for a day before I'd pay that much for another non-solution. I'm ready to try the underwear. Best, DD

#10 ·
I use Bead Rider beaded seat covers. While they do not make a ill fitting seat any better they do make a good fitting seat tolerable for longer durations. The beads allow air to get between you which is a welcome feature in the heat of summer. When its raining the beads keep the boys above the waterline and allow the water to drain out in stead of pooling between your legs plus they do spread out the pressure points.

#12 · (Edited)
For me too, I bought a 2014 Vee a couple months ago, and after about 250 miles or 4 hours, it gets pretty painful, exact symptoms you describe. I Rode to Redding, Ca on Friday, for the ultimate fix, not cheap, but I've had their seats on bikes before, and they simply can not be beat. I take 3500 -4000 mile trips every summer, and will not do another one hating the seat for the last couple hours every day. With these seats, I just never think about it, there is never any pain, discomfort or fatigue.

Attachments

#14 ·
Hmmmm....fly the bike to Vancouver....ride down to the Daylong factory ( 2 day ride )

Ride home through some enjoyable country. If I knew my shoulder was going to behave I might invest in the RDL for the CB500x....but my shoulder/arm is giving me more grief than the seat. :confused:

Still ...if you can afford it ...you won't regret it ...note tho it will raise the seat an inch or so.

#15 ·
"note tho it will raise the seat an inch or so"
A bonus for me, at 6'1" +, I have reach to spare, and the taller seat will take some pressure off of an old broken hip bone that lets me know when it's cold and wet.
We had a leather Russel made for our LC1500 in 2003, put 50,000 miles on that seat, never thought about discomfort.
She told me, if I expect her to ride on this one with me, I'd need another Day Long seat, so I don't have much choice...
Happy wife, happy life.

#16 ·
I've tried several things to fix the same pain in the butt.

1. Lowered pegs and raised bars made a big difference. This took me from 100km to 200km in terms of comfort distance on the saddle.

2. The Beadrider Ultimate was the next biggest improvement. I am now fully limited in terms of comfort by the fuel tank, not by my arse. (350km +)

3. I also changed the seat foam and shapped it a little and did not find this a worthwhile investment.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

#17 ·
None mentioned it yet... Sargent seats work for me on many of my past bikes, current V2 included.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

#20 ·
Russell day long is a great seat for still young tourers, but I found as I aged still got uncomfortable prostate pressure to the point of quitting riding. After foam circles, blow up rings, finally removed the the cover on the RDL, took a 4" grinder and carved out a depression under the ole family jewels to about 1 and 1/4". Reinforced the original RDL cover with an interior leather layer, worked great for my problem. Now can ride a couple hours before taking breaks. Just carve slowly, a little goes a long way. ??

#22 ·
like JWnWyoming, I too have a sheepskin pad with an AirHawk underneath it. It's like sitting on a cloud. I'm 73 years old so comfort is a big priority and I can ride all day with this setup. I've been using this system for at least five years on three different V-Stroms. No problems with the AirHawk leaking or wearing out. However, it stays covered and protected by the sheepskin (Alaska Leather). I have also found the key to using the AirHawk is to have just enough air in it to cushion your rear end from the hard seat. Mine is set up so I can just barely contact the seat. Good luck. Once you get the comfort stuff set up, you'll love the bike.

#23 ·
Somewhere on this board is a posting that details the removal of a center portion of the seat pan to relieve a major pressure point to the backside. Use the Search Feature.

#24 ·
https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl1000a-2014-2016/341105-simple-mod-stock-seat-concepts-seats.html

I tried that, cutting out the center raised block, but it didn't make a noticeable difference for me. What makes the difference for me is a wider, better shaped tractor type seat, available from Terry Adcox, or Russell Day Long. The Adcox seat on my 650 was great, but I bought it back in 2012, seems like I paid about $350 for rider and passenger modification. I think Terry wants to retire now, cause, his prices are upwards of $600, and the next build date is into February.
For more money I went with Russell, they are within riding distance of me, and it will be done end of October.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.