Windshield - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 Old 09-22-2019, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Windshield

So a tree killed my puig screen, had to put stock back on. I have tons of buffeting now. For reference I have tall seat and am 6'1. So a couple questions....

Does anyone have a taller screen they want to part with?

Has anyone put on one of those front spoiler screen extender or wind deflectors on and how well do they work?

Here is the link to my now dead screen.
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...1000-2014-2017

Many thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 09-22-2019, 10:27 AM
Stromthusiast!

I have a Madstad 18" adventure windscreen you can have if you are local and pick up. I'm located in Chambersburg PA.

This is only the windscreen and does not include brackets. Not interested in shipping as it is bulky and would probably cost $30 to ship within the lower 48
post #3 of 45 Old 09-22-2019, 10:33 AM
Stromthusiast!

Those little add on's make a big difference. I have the MRA Vario and it's neat-o. I have a laminar lip on another bike and it works well too. Just non adjustable.
Why not just order up another Puig Screen?

post #4 of 45 Old 09-22-2019, 10:43 AM
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

The best screen for your bike is without a doubt the Givi Airflow. It's so far ahead of everything else it is simply no contest. Unless it s a beauty contest. Then all bets are off.

https://www.adventuretech.biz/windshields.html
post #5 of 45 Old 09-22-2019, 11:53 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlandrick View Post
The best screen for your bike is without a doubt the Givi Airflow. It's so far ahead of everything else it is simply no contest. Unless it s a beauty contest. Then all bets are off.

https://www.adventuretech.biz/windshields.html
This is as subjective as the day is long. On my DL650 I had the stock screen, Givi Air flow and a 18" Madstad 18" Adventure I liked the Madstad best as it eliminated the most amount of buffeting (not all, most).

Interestingly enough my 06 R1200GS has the stock windscreen and my 07 R1200GD came with a Givi Airflow. I have them both and have ridden back to back.

Just yesterday after 5,000 miles and several months of trying to adjust the Givi to get it to where it doesn't buffet I threw my hands in the air. I then got on ADV Rider found a used stock windscreen and bought it. The 06 and 07 are 98% the same and the stock windscreen buffets 90% less than the Givi.

Windscreens, seats, handle bar bends and any other ergo/comfort related item an individual like/dislike thing.
Ratchet likes this.
post #6 of 45 Old 09-22-2019, 12:15 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Bit presumptuous

The Madstad complete system is by far the best windscreen IMNSHO. These guys really know what they are doing.

https://madstad.com/collections/suzuki

Just keep an eye on the adjustment fasteners as they like to work loose tho they are secured from falling away. Users suggest getting one size up since there is such a wide vertical adjustment as well as angle.
Personally I don't like lipped screens.
Awful amount of clutter in your face.

I had Madstad on both my Wees and it's even better on the CB500x as it has winglets.

Ontario Canada rider staying in Cairns Australian Feb to May & Aug-Oct each year
Canada 2018 CB500x >2009 CBF1000 sold 10 Wee ABS sold 09 Burgman Exec sold 10 NT700v sold
Australia> 04 KLR650 93 ST1100 sold
Travel photos> https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries Oz riding >https://tinyurl.com/y4c7lm87

Last edited by Macdoc; 09-22-2019 at 12:19 PM.
post #7 of 45 Old 09-22-2019, 02:57 PM
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Gentlemen,

The OP posted in the 2014+ DL1000 forum area. I assume he has a 2014+ DL1000.

Presumptuous? What are you assuming? That your experience on other models applies to the Vee2/3?

I believe you will find that owners of Vee2/3s that have tried multiple screens agree. Check the posts. Do the reading. The numbers in the data pool endorsing the screen significantly reduce the chance it is just a subjective opinion.

Gen 1 bikes less so, but then we were talking about Vee2/3s right?

Last edited by richlandrick; 09-22-2019 at 03:02 PM.
post #8 of 45 Old 09-22-2019, 03:24 PM
Stromthusiast!

I've tried the Givi on 2 totally different manufactures and have not come to like it. I'll not try it on a 3rd.

Your post stating "The best screen for your bike is without a doubt the Givi Airflow" is one mans opinion not panacea.
post #9 of 45 Old 09-22-2019, 04:30 PM
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Absolutely, one man's opinion. When asked (several times a week) that is the opinion I give. Based on talking to many members, having tried several screens, and understanding the engineering behind wind screen design, and the flexibility built into the Airflow, and feedback from those who switch to it.

Just one man opinion.

And when you say you have tried Givi on two different bikes, was it the "air flow?" Where any of those bikes Vee2/3s? Or where they just Givi brand screens and misc. random bikes?

Could you please explain why you think what ever screen you like and have tried on the Vee2/Vee3 works better than the compression jet, expansion jet, double layer with seven inches of adjust ability than the airflow? Then tell us about the feedback from others that you have gathered.

Or not. What ever.

How about a joke? Know any good jokes?

Here's one. Yesterday I saw a guy throw all his scrabble letters on the road. I asked him, "what's the word on the street?"
Motorpsychology likes this.

Last edited by richlandrick; 09-22-2019 at 04:38 PM.
post #10 of 45 Old 09-22-2019, 05:36 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlandrick View Post
Absolutely, one man's opinion. When asked (several times a week) that is the opinion I give. Based on talking to many members, having tried several screens, and understanding the engineering behind wind screen design, and the flexibility built into the Airflow, and feedback from those who switch to it.

Just one man opinion.

And when you say you have tried Givi on two different bikes, was it the "air flow?" Where any of those bikes Vee2/3s? Or where they just Givi brand screens and misc. random bikes?

Could you please explain why you think what ever screen you like and have tried on the Vee2/Vee3 works better than the compression jet, expansion jet, double layer with seven inches of adjust ability than the airflow? Then tell us about the feedback from others that you have gathered.

Or not. What ever.

How about a joke? Know any good jokes?

Here's one. Yesterday I saw a guy throw all his scrabble letters on the road. I asked him, "what's the word on the street?"
Both of the Givi's I have had on motorcycle were "Airflow" models and in both instances I did not like them. I don't care what bike you put them on it is the opinion of the guy sitting behind it if it works to his standards or not.

The Airflow can have fancy compression/expansion jet technology or it can suck like a Hoover that doesn't mean it'll work for everyone. The stock screen on my R1200GS has none of this declassified alien technology but works a 100 times better at eliminating buffeting for me verses the Airflow. Why is this?

Making the blanket statement that the Givi Airflow is the best of the best is simply not true. I've had 2 and did not like either. Sure the Airflow works for a lot of people but it does not work for everyone and that is why several companies produce alternate options. Honestly if the Airflow was the end all be all of windscreens don't you think Suzuki would source them from Givi?
Ratchet likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode