A cough, then death... - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 Old 09-08-2019, 05:57 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

A cough, then death...

Greetings all,
On a few occasions lately, I've experienced the engine having a cough, or a sputter, then re-igniting spontaneously. Yesterday after starting the bike that was sitting off for an hour while at the gym, she gave a mighty cough, a half-assed backfire then died. She fired up on restarting and behaved the rest of the day. I have to plead being pretty mechanically challenged with new and modern machines. Any thoughts? She's a 2014 that I bought new with no miles two years ago and now has almost 20K on the odometer. Thanks in advance for any ideas, insights from my more savvy compatriots.
Ride safe all.
Gary

gary

'14 VStrom 1000
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. - quote attributed to Helen Keller.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 09-08-2019, 07:14 AM
$tromtrooper

Are you blipping the throttle before shut down. Or starting with throttle open at all.? Bike should start without touching the throttle and best practice turn off from idle.

Ontario Canada rider staying in Cairns Australian Feb to May & Aug-Oct each year
Canada 2018 CB500x >2009 CBF1000 sold 10 Wee ABS sold 09 Burgman Exec sold 10 NT700v sold
Australia> 04 KLR650 93 ST1100 sold
Travel photos> https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries Oz riding >https://tinyurl.com/y4c7lm87
post #3 of 34 Old 09-08-2019, 10:09 AM
Stromthusiast!

Check that ECM recall has been done...

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
SECoda likes this.

2015 DL1000 ADV

post #4 of 34 Old 09-08-2019, 10:17 AM
$tromtrooper

Garage
How dirty is your air filter?
Was your bike included in the ECM recall?

Mine has been pretty good about not coughing and dying. The few times it coughed (but didn't die) were after executing the secondary throttle plate learned position reset until it relearned. Maybe it needs to be sync'd and reset. What is your warm engine idle rpm?

How's your voltage and battery?

Shooting in the dark... Not a lot of info to go on yet.

As mentioned in the previous post, it seems that these bikes do not process throttle blips very well.
post #5 of 34 Old 09-08-2019, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Hi Fellow Troopers,
Answers: I start the bike without twisting the throttle; starts right up. I've had this happen both with and without bliping the throttle ( I actually thought that blipping it after a little warm up and before setting out on a ride might cure the problem - nope ). And I do hit the kill switch with the bike at idle. ECM recall has been done. I expect the air filter is clean as I keep up on all maintainence at my local dealership where I bought the bike, and the '12 650 Strom before this one. And I haven't been riding at all in dusty conditions. Battery voltage at 11.7 when bike is turned on, with lights on, but not running; kicks up to 13.8 very shortly after starting with bike at idle, 14.0 when cruising at 4000 rpm. I'm not sure what all that means, but she briskly turns over at first start-up in the morning. I'm wondering about the throttle body balance - that might be an issue? Thanks guys, for stepping up to the plate here.
Ride safe all.
gary

gary

'14 VStrom 1000
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. - quote attributed to Helen Keller.
post #6 of 34 Old 09-08-2019, 03:17 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
The throttle body balance seems to only have much effect at idle speeds (several threads discussing it)...

When mine was due according to the mileage schedule, it also had a pretty low idle. And liked to stumble if all three of these conditions were met: Engine stone cold, the rpm was below 3K, and the throttle was barely open.

The local shops wanted at least as much as the Healtech OBD tool costs, so I ordered the tool. Once I locked out the ISC valves and balanced the throttle body's idle circuits the idle rpm was still only about 800rpm. I had to open both idle screws and then rebalance to get the recommended 1229rpm. I did the learned position reset. On my next couple of rides the engine coughed a few times (usually near idle or take off), but after those first half dozen or less hot cold cycles, the engine was running smooth and happy.

Long story short, the balance procedure helped me, but may not be the smoking gun for others. It may be a couple hundred bucks to have a shop do it. The cold engine stumble is starting to return a little bit, but my idle speed has not dropped like before yet. I've been considering another balance to see if it helps again. I am at 20K miles now and my first balance was right about where the service schedule called for it the first time. Looking back at the owners manual, it is due for another balance anyway...
post #7 of 34 Old 09-08-2019, 03:55 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macdoc View Post
Are you blipping the throttle before shut down. Or starting with throttle open at all.? Bike should start without touching the throttle and best practice turn off from idle.
+1
post #8 of 34 Old 09-08-2019, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimmer View Post
The throttle body balance seems to only have much effect at idle speeds (several threads discussing it)...

When mine was due according to the mileage schedule, it also had a pretty low idle. And liked to stumble if all three of these conditions were met: Engine stone cold, the rpm was below 3K, and the throttle was barely open.

The local shops wanted at least as much as the Healtech OBD tool costs, so I ordered the tool. Once I locked out the ISC valves and balanced the throttle body's idle circuits the idle rpm was still only about 800rpm. I had to open both idle screws and then rebalance to get the recommended 1229rpm. I did the learned position reset. On my next couple of rides the engine coughed a few times (usually near idle or take off), but after those first half dozen or less hot cold cycles, the engine was running smooth and happy.

Long story short, the balance procedure helped me, but may not be the smoking gun for others. It may be a couple hundred bucks to have a shop do it. The cold engine stumble is starting to return a little bit, but my idle speed has not dropped like before yet. I've been considering another balance to see if it helps again. I am at 20K miles now and my first balance was right about where the service schedule called for it the first time. Looking back at the owners manual, it is due for another balance anyway...
Whaaaaat? lol Grimmer, God bless ya, yer WAY over my head!! Still, a great addition to the discussion. As of now, this is not a great problem. Only happens very occasionally. I just don't like shit that ain't supposed to happen! :-)
Ride safe.
gary

gary

'14 VStrom 1000
post #9 of 34 Old 09-08-2019, 09:16 PM
Stromthusiast!

I don't know about your part of the world but here down under there were a few different ECM's, your problem sounds like the ECM issue that got the upgrade started.

PS; you should not be stopping your motor with the kill switch every time.

That switch is for emergency use, you should use the ignition switch to shut the bike down if possible.
Big B and Macdoc like this.

Some of the 19 rides in my shed
2014 V2, Snoopy
2009 Wee, Pumbaa the pig
WR450F, The Blue Postie Bike
YZ250N smoker with rego, Stinky.
Yamaha MT09 (FZ09), The Scud missile.
Club Lead not Club Med.
He with the most toys wins.
Out of my depth in a puddle.
Live life on the edge you will see more that way.
Ridding a motorcycle keeps things in balance.
At the end of each trail and at the end of each day history is made.
post #10 of 34 Old 09-08-2019, 09:27 PM
Stromthusiast!

Reborn,

My bike has had a few instances of what you described- when the engine was cold and under light throttle, it coughed/sneezed plus almost stalled. It seemed to be when the bike was colder 45F or so. Thinking & remembering, I don't recall having any of those coughs since I readjusted the TPS position. (see this thread- https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl1000a...tle-off-2.html

Something else to consider- Is there any chance that your bike has been getting a shot of E-15 gas? Do your local stations have E-15 in a blender pump? Ethanol gas gets blamed for lots of things which often aren't actual facts, but one thing that ethanol will do without question, and that is create a leaner fuel condition. On a bike or snowmobile with a carburetor, the E10 gas will typically require to be about one main jet size leaner than 100% gas. EFI engines are mapped rich enough that E-10 doesn't typically cause driveability issues. E-15 is too much though, and you'll likely experience a flame-out or cough.

Or, maybe you just might have some crappy gas. (not a shocker with today's fuel) Try buying fuel somewhere else.

18 1000 XT yellow. Bunch of goodies installed.
2015 Yamaha WR250F- Street plated woods bike
Previous rides- about 25 different bikes, mostly dirtbikes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode