Magnetic Tank Bag for 2014 V-Strom 1000 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 09-06-2019, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Question Magnetic Tank Bag for 2014 V-Strom 1000

Hi. Sorry if this has been covered and my search skills have failed me. I've been doing a lot of research on this question and getting nowhere. Is there a magnetic tank bag in the 15-20L capacity that will work for a 2014 V-Strom 1000? All I'm seeing are a lot of things that claim to be universal fit and not bike specific. After researching these, all of them have turned out to be less than universal. I really don't want a strapped bag. I can't get past the look of the straps and I know it would bug me every time I looked at them. One alternative seems to be ring mounted tank bags like the Givi XS307. Maybe? $150-200 for 15L of storage sounds significantly less than awesome to me, though. Don't even get me started on the SW-Motechs. So is there some magical tank bag that I'm overlooking or am I just wasting my time. Thanks!

The aim is to balance the terror of being alive with the wonder of being alive Carlos Castaneda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 09-06-2019, 10:26 PM
$tromtrooper

I had overlooked Nelson-Rigg as too expensive..but after owning and travelling across Canada with their expandible ...I'm sold. Lifetime warranty, very well made, excellent magnets.

It's a tad wide on the CB500x but not really a big deal except just at lock. Expandable to 27 liters it's now my go to even on daily rides as it fits my 13" MacBook Pro. I suspect it will fit very well on the 1000.
The clear pockets are really useful for bits and pieces I want to know where they are. I carry a sizeable battery pack for the cell phone/nav

I'd set up for hydration as well tho I did not use it.

Ontario Canada rider staying in Cairns Australian Feb to May & Aug-Oct each year
Canada 2018 CB500x >2009 CBF1000 sold 10 Wee ABS sold 09 Burgman Exec sold 10 NT700v sold
Australia> 04 KLR650 93 ST1100 sold
Travel photos> https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries Oz riding >https://tinyurl.com/y4c7lm87
post #3 of 20 Old 09-06-2019, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Huh. I thought I had seen all the Nelson-Riggs but somehow I missed the CL-2020. That has potential. Looking into that now.

The aim is to balance the terror of being alive with the wonder of being alive Carlos Castaneda

post #4 of 20 Old 09-06-2019, 11:28 PM
Stromthusiast!

I have had the same Nelson-Rigg tank bag since the '80s. It is faded but bullet proof.
It is magnetic. On my V-2, I fab'd a steel tubing frame that clamps to my handlebar with moped windshield mounts and acts as a "shelf" for the bag. The bag never touches the tank. It sits over it by a couple of inches and turns with the bars (no horn blowing when full right lock).

Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT ['02 BMW K1200rs SOLD Aug '17]
post #5 of 20 Old 09-06-2019, 11:52 PM
Stromthusiast!

You will have no success with a magnetic tank bag given the large plastic cover of the tank
UNLESS
you go ahead and glue (E6000) several neodymium magnets on the underside of the plastic cover. Than magically the magnetic tank bag jumps into the correct position and stays put.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2319_c_2.JPG (107.2 KB, 7 views)
Bazooka Joe, CAP10 and NVDucati like this.

Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A
post #6 of 20 Old 09-07-2019, 01:37 AM
Stromthusiast!

I suggest you also consider getting a RING LOCK style bag. The video below will give you an idea of what they are if you don't know already;

post #7 of 20 Old 09-07-2019, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaustrom View Post
You will have no success with a magnetic tank bag given the large plastic cover of the tank
UNLESS
you go ahead and glue (E6000) several neodymium magnets on the underside of the plastic cover. Than magically the magnetic tank bag jumps into the correct position and stays put.
I like this idea. That's the sort of lateral thinking this world needs more of.

post #8 of 20 Old 09-07-2019, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToothDocJay View Post
I suggest you also consider getting a RING LOCK style bag. The video below will give you an idea of what they are if you don't know already;
I just can't bring myself to spend that kind of money on a tank bag. They're nice bags but I can't convince myself that they're THAT nice.

post #9 of 20 Old 09-07-2019, 08:03 AM
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

I understand the price component of that decision. Tank Bags in the US are unnecessarily expensive. We sell Givi at a discount and have been known to work a deal as part of a larger sale.

We also carry all the shad bags at 10% off, but have sold very few. Probably because we don't have pictures of them on our website. If you see something on the shad site we can get it to you cheaper.

Nelson Rigg is excellent. As is Wolfman. Both loved by their owners for good reasons.

However, on Vee2/3 a magnetic bag does work well for reasons discussed above. I know. Bike is a Vee2. Off all the tank ring style mounts, Givi is undoubtedley the least obtrusive when the bag is not there. It blends well and more or less is not noticed. Not true of some of the other brands.

BTW, I use generally use the XS307 15 liter bag on trips.

post #10 of 20 Old 09-07-2019, 11:19 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwumpus View Post
I just can't bring myself to spend that kind of money on a tank bag. They're nice bags but I can't convince myself that they're THAT nice.
You can thank your lucky stars you are not Canadian, the prices up here as compared to the US will you.

After trying both magnetic and ring lock bags, I doubt I would ever go back to magnetic. The ring lock is simple and quick when refueling and if security is an issue pop it off and stuff it in one of the panniers or take it with you. My SW Motech is quite small at 7-L but its all I require for day to day use, although they do come in larger sizes.

https://www.twistedthrottle.ca/sw-mo...oaAoyKEALw_wcB

That Nelson Riggs CL-2020 looks like a nice piece of kit if magnetic is the way you decide to go...
richlandrick likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode