Magnetic Tank Bag for 2014 V-Strom 1000 - Page 2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 21 Old 09-07-2019, 01:51 PM
Stromthusiast!

What Gdrew says ^^^

I have the SW Moto and it matches the profile of my 18 DL1000 gas almost perfectly. At 7L, it's not a hug bag, but great for small stuff.

18 1000 XT yellow. Bunch of goodies installed.
2015 Yamaha WR250F- Street plated woods bike
Previous rides- about 25 different bikes, mostly dirtbikes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 Old 09-07-2019, 01:53 PM
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

A hug bag? You sure you are not from California?
gdrew likes this.
post #13 of 21 Old 09-07-2019, 02:50 PM
Stromthusiast!

RichlandRick,

LOL Oops, it's not a "huge" bag.

18 1000 XT yellow. Bunch of goodies installed.
2015 Yamaha WR250F- Street plated woods bike
Previous rides- about 25 different bikes, mostly dirtbikes.

post #14 of 21 Old 09-07-2019, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaustrom View Post
You will have no success with a magnetic tank bag given the large plastic cover of the tank
UNLESS
you go ahead and glue (E6000) several neodymium magnets on the underside of the plastic cover. Than magically the magnetic tank bag jumps into the correct position and stays put.
So after more research and much debating, I decided to give up and get a XS307. But then I noticed no holes into the main compartment for charging cables. No problem, I'll just get a XS308. No holes there, either. OK, XS306 it is. Possibly can get cables into the main compartment? Can't tell for sure. So I started reading about taking off the tank plastic and attaching magnets. Looks like a fairly straightforward process. What diameter magnets did you use? Once the magnets are in place, I'm about 95% certain that I'm going to go with the Nelson-Rigg CL-2020-GPS.

The aim is to balance the terror of being alive with the wonder of being alive — Carlos Castaneda
post #15 of 21 Old 09-07-2019, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

And 5 minutes after posting that, I came across a video review of the XS307 that clearly shows it does in fact have a cable port. Alrighty then. It may be time to start drinking.

The aim is to balance the terror of being alive with the wonder of being alive — Carlos Castaneda
post #16 of 21 Old 09-07-2019, 09:43 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

If you do magnets, do it the other way around. I had already 2 (identical except for color) tank bags from my WEE. So I got round 2 sided magnets, not sure the size, probably something like these.
Then take the plastic cover off, place the tank bag on the outside and hold it in place with the magnets on the inside. That's your test that they hold the bag. Adjust the location for proper fit and a location, where you can easily glue the magnets. Glue them in place, let dry and your done.
jwumpus and NVDucati like this.

…....
Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A
post #17 of 21 Old 09-08-2019, 03:11 PM
Stromthusiast!

I purchased the EA118 for a lot less then the newer xs series bags and I wish it had a cable hole for charging.But I saved $50 dollars.Ill have to think of a way to put a hole in the front and maybe a grommet.The tank connector works really well.And the EA118 doesn’t come with the rain cover built in like the xs series bags but did come with a rain cover for the outside of the bag.

Sw-Motech center stand
Sw-Motech skid plate
R&G Radiator guard.
Givi EA118 tank bag
post #18 of 21 Old 09-08-2019, 04:20 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaustrom View Post
If you do magnets, do it the other way around. I had already 2 (identical except for color) tank bags from my WEE. So I got round 2 sided magnets, not sure the size, probably something like these.
Then take the plastic cover off, place the tank bag on the outside and hold it in place with the magnets on the inside. That's your test that they hold the bag. Adjust the location for proper fit and a location, where you can easily glue the magnets. Glue them in place, let dry and your done.
If you do it the way Mr. Blaustrom notes (which is a very cool approach) you will need to know if the tank bag comes with North or South magnets. You can tell with a compass. Opposites attract. Same pole magnets push each other away. So you need to choose the correct polarity when buying your magnets.
IF the tank bag has magnets strong enough to jump the thickness of the plastic, you could just glue some metal strips behind the plastic.
Lots of choices. If you are buying strong magnets always get round edged ones to avoid clipping off the tips of your fingers. Many specialty sellers. This is one.
jwumpus and CAP10 like this.

Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT ['02 BMW K1200rs SOLD Aug '17]
post #19 of 21 Old 09-08-2019, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I'll never go magnet bag again, love the Givi tanlock system and their bags so much.....easy on/off and no bag contact to scratch the paint.
nvr2old and Idahokid like this.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #20 of 21 Old 09-10-2019, 10:58 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Garage
With my tank bag I made a stop at Home Depot, picked up a few of the really strong magnets to replace those tiny ones that came in my bag and it works well. You need to make sure a finger is NOT between the bag and tank when the magnet does its jobs. I hot glued the magnet pockets closed so there is no movement. I do not really need the straps but just feel more comfortable with them when I am doing more off road. I also put down just a little clear protector under the magnet area to protect the tank paint/clear coat. It is all covered by the magnet pocket flap. Otherwise, they sure are not going to blow off even with the smaller amount of area contacting the tank with all that beautiful plastic placed perfectly in the way. I really do like the look though and this simple work around worked well for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode