clutch not disengaging/clutch drag - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 09-04-2019, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

clutch not disengaging/clutch drag

had the bike on the centerstand yesterday to lube the chain. I usually kick it into first gear and use the clutch to feather so the chain rotates slowly while i spray lube. Noticed that even with the lever all the way in, i was getting quite a bit of tire rotation, and in fact the tire was accelerating. i'm at oil change point so i'm wondering if it's drag between plates because i let my oil go a little too long (~4.5k miles), or if it's known to have air in the lines on the clutch master/slave. It does also explain why the engine's been a bit more vibration at idle at a stop when the clutch is in. Obviously, i'm going to do the work on both oil and bleed the clutch, but wanted to see if anyone else has run into that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-04-2019, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

Its pretty normal on any motorcycle wet clutch to have some clutch drag. If you have a lot on a DL1000 then you might want to bleed it. Eventually the slave cylinder will need to be replaced (easy to do just costs a bit.)

..Tom

2006 DL650: 202,000 km 125,500 miles, Sold
2012 DL650 139,500+ km, 86,700+ miles. Sold
2015 DL1000 New July 2015 195,000+ km, 121,000 miles.

This can help preventing from cars pulling out in front of you (SMIDSY)
SMIDSY detailed report.

post #3 of 3 Old 09-04-2019, 01:04 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelrf600r View Post
had the bike on the centerstand yesterday to lube the chain. I usually kick it into first gear and use the clutch to feather so the chain rotates slowly while i spray lube. Noticed that even with the lever all the way in, i was getting quite a bit of tire rotation, and in fact the tire was accelerating. i'm at oil change point so i'm wondering if it's drag between plates because i let my oil go a little too long (~4.5k miles), or if it's known to have air in the lines on the clutch master/slave. It does also explain why the engine's been a bit more vibration at idle at a stop when the clutch is in. Obviously, i'm going to do the work on both oil and bleed the clutch, but wanted to see if anyone else has run into that.
My Dl1000 actually did that for a couple while right after an oil change. Found that I had to hold on the brakes with the clutch in for it to actually start slipping. It wound up going away, so I attributed it to some weirdness caused by changing oil brands (RP to Rotella)

Chuck P
2004 DL1000 just about unfarkled
2003 FZ1
www.oldjeep.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode