Headlight adjust? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 09-03-2019, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Headlight adjust?

I want to point my beam down a bit can anyone provide a cheat sheet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-03-2019, 01:52 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakor82 View Post
I want to point my beam down a bit can anyone provide a cheat sheet?
Owner's manual? Pages 6-48 to 6-51.
post #3 of 12 Old 09-03-2019, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Bought the bike second hand, no manual. I'll find a PDF.

post #4 of 12 Old 09-03-2019, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Thanks for looking.
post #5 of 12 Old 09-03-2019, 09:50 PM
Stromthusiast!

Knowing the exact model would help. My Gen2 DL1000 has been an absolute bastard. First bike I've owned where high beam is physically below low beam and the only way to set the thing up is either annoy the neighbors or set up a target about 40' away.
post #6 of 12 Old 09-04-2019, 03:52 AM
Stromthusiast!

post #7 of 12 Old 09-04-2019, 08:47 AM
Stromthusiast!

Dakor82m

Let's back up a little bit.

Is your bike loaded so that that even with the shock spring preload knob set to full preload, that your headlight will shine too high? (I assume this is the case?) If that is the situation, you might want to approach the headlight adjustment from a different way- install a stiffer shock spring to lift the rear of the bike. What is the loaded lbs on your bike (rider, passenger, cargo)?

18 1000 XT yellow. Bunch of goodies installed.
2015 Yamaha WR250F- Street plated woods bike
Previous rides- about 25 different bikes, mostly dirtbikes.
post #8 of 12 Old 09-05-2019, 05:33 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

It's a 2014 1000 assumed since I posted in the 14-16 thread this would be assumed and all headlights on this generation are the same as far as aesthetics go.

Beam does point high, preload maxed out, but I ride solo and while I am big, weigh 270, didn't think that would be out of stock range.

I have thought about getting a raising link. I'm only 6.1, but I have tall seat and would not mind slightly sharper steering from raising the back end.
post #9 of 12 Old 09-05-2019, 06:12 AM
Stromthusiast!

There are four adjusters, two for low beam, two for high, left side sitting in front of the bike 10mm long reach socket in hand is up down, right side left right - leave left right ALONE.

Low beam I THINK you have to remove the top of the console but that's likely O.K. or close to.

High beam, find somewhere flat with a wall about 40' away. Get a tape measure, measure the height of the high beam filament either with the bike on the center stand or wing it holding it up and sitting on it (Yeah, center stand wins). Walk to your target, put a mark there. Back to the bike, wait for dark, lights on, adjust high beam so that the top of the bright patch is roughly on your marker. If you ride at 200kph at night, center the bright spot on the marker. For me that puts high beam hitting the road surface about 100m down the road and doesn't light up roadside signs to blinding, If I'm riding at night I'm not riding stupid fast. The faster you ride at night the nearer to flat that needs to be.
post #10 of 12 Old 09-05-2019, 09:36 AM
Stromthusiast!

Dakor82,

At 270 lbs, you are out of the load capacity of the stock spring. You probably are not feeling bottoming out, but you're riding low in the stroke where the linkage ratio increases, plus the bottoming bumper is saving you from the abrupt bottoming clack which we all remember from some bike in our past.

I think you'll be happy with the change to a stiffer rate spring. Here is what you'll gain with the stiffer rate spring:
1. You'll be riding "in the middle of the stroke" of the suspension, rather than towards the bottom of the stroke. The higher riding height will have more suspension travel available to absorb bumps.
2. The stiffer rate spring will support the rear of the bike better on bigger "G out" type bumps, meaning that you won't consume as much travel on the bigger G-outs.
2. Your steering geometry will be much better with the rear of the bike riding higher. Parking lot speed steering will be much better.
3. And, your headlight will shine correctly.

18 1000 XT yellow. Bunch of goodies installed.
2015 Yamaha WR250F- Street plated woods bike
Previous rides- about 25 different bikes, mostly dirtbikes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in