Headlight adjust? - Page 2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 16 Old 09-05-2019, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator

I am assuming that since you posted in the 2014-2016 DL1000 forums that is the bike you have. If you have a different model/year let us know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakor82 View Post
I want to point my beam down a bit can anyone provide a cheat sheet?
Did you get it figured out or still need some help with this?

I don't find taking off the instrument cluster a big deal but yes it would be easier to do if you could do without like I could on my 2 DL650's. Once you get it off you will see the two adjusters on each side of each headlight. The uppermost beam is the low beam and the 8mm nut with the Phillips Screwdriver "socket" in the middle is the adjuster. I forget which way it turns to go up and down.

I have original springs and shocks, currently weight around 230 but have weighed as much as 260 with this bike. Sometimes the bike is loaded up a lot and I haven't really had any issues making the headlight be adjusted properly. Maybe we all should go out and upgrade the springs and/or shocks but you might find you get along fine without doing so (I have for over 120,000 miles. Maybe I don't know what I'm missing but it sure rides and handles nicer than my 2006 DL650 DL650 did with it's upgraded rear spring and shock and firmer springs and cartridge emulators in the front.)

..Tom

My Opinion:
Vee or V= DL1000 before 2014
Vee2 or V2 = DL1000 2015 to 2019
Vee3 or V3 = DL1050 2020 to?

My Stroms:
2006 DL650: 202,000 km 125,500 miles, Sold
2012 DL650 139,500+ km, 86,700+ miles. Sold
2015 DL1000 New July 2015 205,000+ km, 127,000+ miles.

This can help preventing from cars pulling out in front of you (SMIDSY)
SMIDSY detailed report.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 Old 09-05-2019, 10:00 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Thanks for the link Gert. I joined that forum and as regards the headlight adjustment If you read down the list of comments you will get to the real answer. You don't need to remove anything. A number 2 phillips screwdriver will do it.

One of the best things about the stacked headlights is that the high and low beams can be adjusted independently. You can have the low beam set to be kind to oncoming traffic and have the high beam set for maximum vision.
Attached Images
File Type: png V2 Headlight Adjustment.png (330.6 KB, 6 views)
Gert likes this.

Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT ['02 BMW K1200rs SOLD Aug '17]
post #13 of 16 Old 10-20-2019, 06:12 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

My understanding for headlight adjustment is find a wall & measure 25 feet from wall to head light. Measure height to center for each light. Mark the wall 2 inches below the height for each light. Adjust each light to it’s respective mark.

post #14 of 16 Old 10-23-2019, 12:54 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

It should be noted that if you installed an LED light, it most likely will not be adjustable since they send out a flood type beam, not a spot.

I had installed LED on my bike and had to remove it because it was blinding drivers at night. I taped over the lense for a bit, but that was stupid.
post #15 of 16 Old 10-23-2019, 06:38 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

I have zDatt on mine, both high and low beam and they are spot, not flood. No blinding other drivers at night after properly adjusting the hight of low beam (and yes, low beam needed adjustment downwards, a lot). High beam didn't need adjusting.

2017 DL1000 White
2014 DL1000 Red (sold)
2012 DL650 White (sold)
post #16 of 16 Old 10-25-2019, 09:52 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosnjo View Post
I have zDatt on mine, both high and low beam and they are spot, not flood. No blinding other drivers at night after properly adjusting the hight of low beam (and yes, low beam needed adjustment downwards, a lot). High beam didn't need adjusting.
I think it is worth underling the fact that our headlights can be adjusted independently. Really a great feature!

I do a lot of "sport" riding before and after daylight hours. I take my lights seriously and use serious lights. I'm also courteous to other drivers. Besides, it is in my own self interest not to blind a driver I'm sharing a narrow road with.

I adjust my low beam at night by parking my car up ahead of the bike at about the distance I would maintain when following a car. I simply keep the core beam just below the trunk-lid. The high beam I adjust against highway reflective side-markers. I have found a highway rest area near me where I can park the bike inside the rest area and have a straight shot looking down the flat highway. (it wasn't that hard to find) As I raise the high beam adjustment, there comes a point when the farthest reflector dims. That is the point where the light has pooped out. Or the point where my eyes poop out. Either way that is the best I can get. I'm now ending the 3rd season on these lights so I consider it a fairly low effort to get what I want.
V-Tom likes this.

Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT ['02 BMW K1200rs SOLD Aug '17]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode