Completely Dead Dash, No Obvious Causes - Page 2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 17 Old 09-04-2019, 12:13 AM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Check the connectors behind/ above the radiator. Looks like that the instrument connector is fine and does not look like you got water into the instrument.

Ö....
Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 Old 09-04-2019, 12:40 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Did you check if you have brake lights with any of the two front and rear brake? If not the dash connector or ground wire maybe it's one of the switches that makes the dash go crazy? Track down and try to unplug right or left handlebar controls with the key off ans see if the dash turns on.

I assume you had the harness recall done.

Custom signature...
post #13 of 17 Old 09-07-2019, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Location: Bay Area, CA. 3 Different climates in 1 hour commute.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockie View Post
Agreed.
As the headlights still work check the ground wire (black/white stripe) from the instrument panel. That wire goes to the connector plug and then joins with the headlight black/white stripe before going to the main plug left side of the radiator. Mine is a previous model but the electrical system is surely similar.
Barrabbas, are you confident that the instrument cluster plug is OK and free of corrosion? That the B/W wire up there is good? Can you clearly see and inspect the clean contacts in the plug and socket?
That B/W wire is the common ground for all the features of the display.
Had to use a needle from a sewing kit to test the ground wire but I got a beep out of the meter so it looks like the ground is good. I had a suspicion this would be the result, as the high beam light is the only life the dash shows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdrew View Post
Yes, those wires and connectors look good but looks can sometimes be deceiving.

Grab your MM and confirm the ground circuit is sound as per Brockie's post above.

You may want to try some electrical contact cleaner and dielectric grease on the pins, male and female sides. After cleaning and greasing push the plugs together almost until they lock and pull them apart, repeat a few times to ensure good connectivity.

Best of luck with it!
I'm heading out later today, will pick those up and give it a shot. Would be nice if it was just a bit of corrosion breaking the circuit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by offwegoagain View Post
Did you check if you have brake lights with any of the two front and rear brake? If not the dash connector or ground wire maybe it's one of the switches that makes the dash go crazy? Track down and try to unplug right or left handlebar controls with the key off ans see if the dash turns on.

I assume you had the harness recall done.
I don't recall the PO saying anything about recalls not being taken care of. I checked NHSTA and there's "0 unrepaired recalls associated with this vehicle." Suzuki says "No open safety recalls found". Would this "harness recall" show up on any other VIN search? Or is there some sort of secret recall list I'm not aware of?

As always, thanks for the help. Worst case scenario we can all take bets on how long and how much it will be at a shop.

post #14 of 17 Old 09-07-2019, 04:27 PM
Stromthusiast!
Super Trooper!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaustrom View Post
If truly all fuses are ok and battery has good contact including ground contacts at both ends then:

1. The instrument panel has died. (I think I never heard that that has happened but in case it leaks water I guess it could)

2. There is no ground. Not sure which connector behind the radiator feeds the instruments but I would check them all for corrosion, burn marks and see if that is the cause. Would help if you had a service manual with wiring diagram.
I did have the panel die on my 2014 650 after riding all day in rain from hurricane Bud remnants. Had to get a new one and everything worked again. Sealed up the case with silicone when I put it back together.

2014 650 Strom
post #15 of 17 Old 09-08-2019, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwayman2016 View Post
I did have the panel die on my 2014 650 after riding all day in rain from hurricane Bud remnants. Had to get a new one and everything worked again. Sealed up the case with silicone when I put it back together.
I'm in CA. I can't remember the last time it rained. I do ride near the ocean, so salty mist/fog could be a factor?
post #16 of 17 Old 09-13-2019, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

As an update, I dropped it off at an independent shop and I feel a lot better that it's in good hands. Preliminary suspicion is ECU ground but no confirmation until he gets some time to actually look at it. Also noticed a few other minor things that need tidying up so I'm super optimistic that in a week I'll have a like new bike.
post #17 of 17 Old 09-13-2019, 07:32 PM
$tromtrooper

Sorry thatís happening to you, these bike are so reliable usually...
Big B likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode