MPG I - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 08-13-2019, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

MPG I

Here's my #2 post to getting past the required minimum to be a full-fledged member

My recently purchased '14 with 6K miles has the Holeshot EFI SuperTune Pro Tuning Box and a Scorpion Redpower slip-on. The PO said the airbox mod was not done.

Ordinarily I'd left it stock in this department. The motor has enough juice to give me what I need it for.

But I'm checking to see if other Troopers have this mod done and what they're seeing in MPG. And also how accurate the MPG average gauge on the dash is. I've just ridden mine about 100+ miles and I'm showing 40 mpg as the average. I got the V-Strom for mostly on-road touring and hoping for 45+ mpg at interstate speeds.

I'm liking the V, I'm a first-timer on this style of bike. All my research reading led to getting it. I like the '14-'16 model, but the new '19 XT Adventure is a great looking ride. I seem to always planning my next future purchases

Mark
'14 V-Strom 1000 Adventure
'12 Aprilia Shiver 750
'92 BMW K75RT

Ride like the wind
Straining the limits
Of machine and man
Laughing out loud with fear and hope
I've got a desperate plan
-Rush
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-13-2019, 07:11 PM
$tromtrooper

I just filled up this am from a weeks worth of riding errands and goofing off. 215 miles and it took 4.23 gallons. Almost
51 mpg. I must have been taking it easy . I normally get a bit less, 45 to 48. The bike is bone stock.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-13-2019, 08:32 PM
Stromthusiast!

I have the 14 with a PCFC fitted and dyno tuned, I have dropped one tooth from the front sprocket, I have a Scorpion slip on and standard air box so we are very similar.

I don't much talk about fuel consumption, if I'm burning fuel I'm having fun so I try to burn as much as I can.

I only keep rough numbers and do them on long rides just to ensure I can make it to the next fuel stop.

I didn't have the bike long before I dropped the tooth so I don't have any stock numbers, with the slip on and after dropping the tooth my rough average was 5.5 litres per 100ks

When I fitted the PCFC and used the inbuilt map that suited my bike EG; stock filter & slip on muffler my fuel consumption skyrocketed, there was a improvement in performance but I could tell there was more to come.

I had the bike dyno'd and a custom map built, over the PCFC map I gained 4 HP, that was nice but my torque is where things got going, it was moved to a earlier and more usable RPM and in the lower RPM's it almost doubled, from 29 ft-lb of torque to 49.

Although the bike is now more fun to ride my fuel burn is the same as it was before the PCFC was fitted.

I'm a fan of paper filters and need a very good reason to get away from the stock filter system, in my case I'm more than happy with the results the custom tune got me.

As I said don't look to deeply into my fuel burn, every opportunity I get I'm at WOT.

Some of the 19 rides in my shed
2014 V2, Snoopy
2009 Wee, Pumbaa the pig
WR450F, The Blue Postie Bike
YZ250N smoker with rego, Stinky.
Yamaha MT09 (FZ09), The Scud missile.
Club Lead not Club Med.
He with the most toys wins.
Out of my depth in a puddle.
Live life on the edge you will see more that way.
Ridding a motorcycle keeps things in balance.
At the end of each trail and at the end of each day history is made.

post #4 of 6 Old 08-15-2019, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Rolex:
"I'm a fan of paper filters and need a very good reason to get away from the stock filter system, in my case I'm more than happy with the results the custom tune got me."

Same here. I'm ordering the OEM airbox cover, snorkel, and filter and re-installing to get it back to stock. I'm leaving the EFI tune box in place, more trouble than it's worth to de-install. If I get some additional benefit from it, that's a plus.

Mark
'14 V-Strom 1000 Adventure
'12 Aprilia Shiver 750
'92 BMW K75RT

Ride like the wind
Straining the limits
Of machine and man
Laughing out loud with fear and hope
I've got a desperate plan
-Rush
post #5 of 6 Old 08-16-2019, 09:07 PM
Stromthusiast!

I always chuckle when I hear someone asking about gas mileage after fuel tuning. Mine's a 14 with PCFC and Arrow pipes into a Yosh. My fuel is down from stock but who cares. After all, I am the guy who said 'Release the Hounds!'

2014 V2. Givin it a likkin and it's still tickin!
post #6 of 6 Old 08-19-2019, 12:00 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTrooper14! View Post

But I'm checking to see if other Troopers have this mod done and what they're seeing in MPG. And also how accurate the MPG average gauge on the dash is. I've just ridden mine about 100+ miles and I'm showing 40 mpg as the average. I got the V-Strom for mostly on-road touring and hoping for 45+ mpg at interstate speeds.
..:

Interstate speeds...

It's been my experience that Stroms take a mileage hit past 75mph. Both on my 650 and 1000.

At interstate speeds of 80-85ish I've seen low 30s on the 650 and low 20s on the 1000 (on the current mileage display). Yep low 20s. That was into a pretty strong headwind but still at those speeds your won't get anywhere near 45 mpg on the 1000.

Heck my 1000 barely averages 40 off the interstate!

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. 1 Cor 13:13
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in