Looking for stickier tires - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 Old 08-04-2019, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
fig
Stromthusiast!

Looking for stickier tires

Time for tires. Iím looking for some sticky ones. The problem is the front. Not really any good sticky tires in that size. Any recommendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 08-04-2019, 09:01 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
If youíre looking for road tires then Road 5 Trail from Michelin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 650 Strom
post #3 of 39 Old 08-04-2019, 09:13 AM
Stromthusiast!

This comes up from time to time and proper riding technique it the key. Its 90% rider and 10% equipment.

I was riding with a friend earlier this year he was on a 800GS with well worn TKX80's. It was a rainy morning in Eastern TN where the mountain roads are extremely twisty and technical. He comfortably went through each and every turn faster than 90% of folks could do in the dry with the tire and bike of their choosing.

The tries and pavement were cold and wet from the rain. The tires were easily 75% worn out. The tires were open tread pattern big block designed for 50/50 street/dirt. But yet the talent won out over the equipment.

post #4 of 39 Old 08-04-2019, 09:55 AM
Stromthusiast!

"Its 90% rider and 10% equipment. "

The Pucker Factor! Some of us freak out at a different level that others.
dharum and BrianS like this.
post #5 of 39 Old 08-04-2019, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
fig
Stromthusiast!

Good to know. Iíve nearly got steel bands showing and Iím a good rider so guess Iíll pile on 10,000 more miles...lol. Just kidding. I completely agree. Iíd still like sticky tires.

Iíve got road 4ís now. They were ok but the front went way before the rear. Probably because I donít use the rear brake at all. It also developed a really terrible wear pattern around 2000 miles. I donít think Iím going with those again. Iíd really like to put some pure powers on but canít find a front in this size.
post #6 of 39 Old 08-04-2019, 11:18 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fig View Post
Good to know. Iíve nearly got steel bands showing and Iím a good rider so guess Iíll pile on 10,000 more miles...lol. Just kidding. I completely agree. Iíd still like sticky tires.

Iíve got road 4ís now. They were ok but the front went way before the rear. Probably because I donít use the rear brake at all. It also developed a really terrible wear pattern around 2000 miles. I donít think Iím going with those again. Iíd really like to put some pure powers on but canít find a front in this size.
The front tire is the one that wears under breaking more so than the rear. The rear is worn by hard acceleration and aggressive down shifting/breaking where the tire slides.

Point and shoot riders where they go hot into a turn then stab the breaks at the last second slow the bike will wear the front then when they hammer the throttle powering out of the turn will wear the rear.

People who ride smooth go into turns a bit slower but carry speed through turn are not as hard on tires and most of the time faster. Smooth riding is a fluid motion. Point and shoot is fast then slow down then speed up.
2thDr likes this.
post #7 of 39 Old 08-04-2019, 11:28 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by notacop View Post
"Its 90% rider and 10% equipment. "

The Pucker Factor! Some of us freak out at a different level that others.
When people ride over their head that is what creates the pucker factor.

Improper technique or trying to ride above you ability and a false sense of security that a piece of equipment will compensate for it is recipe for disaster.
2thDr likes this.
post #8 of 39 Old 08-04-2019, 11:47 AM
BKP
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerazziMx14 View Post
When people ride over their head that is what creates the pucker factor.

Improper technique or trying to ride above you ability and a false sense of security that a piece of equipment will compensate for it is recipe for disaster.
Agree 100%...
However, if I find myself in a (very infrequent) hot turn, I'd rather have my Road 5's than the stock Battlax, in both the dry, and especially the wet...

[B][I]Barry[/I]
2017 Pearl White 650[/B]
AdventureTech lowering links and GPS mount
AdventureTech +2" SS braided brake line
Madstad windscreen
GPI spools, SW Motech risers
Givi XS307 Tanklock bag and Givi 46L top case
Suzuki hard case saddlebags
post #9 of 39 Old 08-04-2019, 12:10 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fig View Post
Good to know. I’ve nearly got steel bands showing and I’m a good rider so guess I’ll pile on 10,000 more miles...lol. Just kidding. I completely agree. I’d still like sticky tires.

I’ve got road 4’s now. They were ok but the front went way before the rear. Probably because I don’t use the rear brake at all. It also developed a really terrible wear pattern around 2000 miles. I don’t think I’m going with those again. I’d really like to put some pure powers on but can’t find a front in this size.
My last set were pr4trail 4s. Front dead at 8k. When I changed then was shocked how thin and pliable front tire was. I just put anakee 3s on and I love them way more. Bike feels way more top heavy and ready to dip into a corner. I like that feeling personally. Only 280 miles so far but I'm a huge fan. Not to mention they are on crackhead clearance right now.
post #10 of 39 Old 08-04-2019, 12:34 PM
Stromthusiast!

I've been running Avon TrailRiders and been happy with this 80-20 tire. Agree with previous posts about riding technique on the big Strom...fast is smooth and smooth is fast. FWIW, I have found that this bike settles into turns much better, with less brake dive and more chassis stability if I use some rear brake. Trail braking with the front brake is also a valuable skill for fast, smooth riding in the technical stuff (which I love!). I learned to ride motorcycles on sportbikes on a racetrack... although those skills are invaluable, and the V-Strom IS a great road bike, it is much more enjoyable to ride when not charging corners and heating up the front brake and tire. YMMV.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Mulewright and RLBranson like this.

2015 DL1000 ADV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode