Clutch chudder - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

6Likes
  • 1 Post By Wisedom84
  • 4 Post By realshelby
  • 1 Post By Wisedom84

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 07-12-2019, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Clutch chudder

When I idle on neutral, not using the clutch the engine sound like it is falling apart. I read that clutch basket fix is the way to go, my question is does it matter if I leave it like it is? Will it damage something, does all Strom have it? I only have 12000 km on my 2016 will it get worse over time?
DerStrominator likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-12-2019, 01:37 PM
Stromthusiast!

Pretty sure all Stroms have it. My 2014 DL1000abs has had it since the first oil change. 75,000 miles, no issues yet. I've found using a good oil, and bleeding the clutch once a year helps keep the chatter at bay a little bit. There is a popular clutch basket fix out there, just search the forum. Good luck!
post #3 of 7 Old 07-12-2019, 02:16 PM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Pull up a seat.....

Clutch chudder is the vibration felt strongest in the 2500-4000 rpm range when accelerating through the gears or pulling a hill. There will be noise associated with clutch chudder, typically a tinny metallic slapping noise at idle. Will reduce when pulling in the clutch lever....but that also slows or stops gears and bearings in the transmission so not all noise is clutch basket related. For instance, when you pull in the clutch lever, the clutch basket does not slow down or stop. The noise has never been the biggest problem, the vibration is. At roughly 7,000 miles on your 2016, the noises you hear are almost certainly NOT from the clutch basket. Clutch Chudder will not leave you stranded. Won't explode. If you can live with true clutch chudder, so be it.

Idle Hammer....is just that. Sounds like a wooden mallet tapping the engine crankcase at idle. At its worst when engine and air temps are hot. Such as pulling off a highway exit up to a stop sign after riding at high speed. It will soften or go away when pulling in the clutch lever, yet has zero to do with the clutch assembly. You are changing the load on the engine, which causes a change in how the crankshaft moves at idle. Only heard at idle. Rev it slightly and the sound goes away. My theory is that the offset rods on the same crank throw push the crank one way when that cylinder fires, then the crank gets pushed the other way when the other cylinder fires. The sound is the crankshaft hitting the thrust face on either side of it. Doesn't have time to move that far, or with enough force, once engine is revved up. Stays more or less in one place without the back and forth/side to side play. For reasons unknown to Man, this noise often begins immediately after the first oil change.

There are fixes for both issues. I make both of the them. The clutch basket is a game changer for those that have a worn clutch basket. The Idle Hammer Tamer can eliminate or dampen the Idle Hammer noise to a level it isn't noticed much. IDLE HAMMER HURTS NOTHING! But it can irritate owners. I think if you know what it is and that it really is more or less common, it is easier to live with.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]

post #4 of 7 Old 07-12-2019, 02:27 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I always pop into these threads. I figure realshelby just copies and pastes his response by now. I just crossed 5000 miles, and have noticed my clutch noise at idle to be much louder than it has been. Pull in the clutch and all noise dissipates, except for hammer at times.

2016 DL1000 ABS
post #5 of 7 Old 07-12-2019, 03:15 PM
$tromtrooper

I still have my idle hammer kit on the workbench. Might tackle that this weekend!

If you take a video of your noise(s) we might be able to make a more accurate diagnosis.

Two wheelz for realz!
post #6 of 7 Old 07-12-2019, 04:53 PM
Stromthusiast!

Chudder Butter might help.

2008 Silver DL1000
Fork Brace
WERKS Clutch Basket
Super Bright 5600K LEDS
Continental Attack Tires
Power Commander III
GIPro Gear Indicator ATRE
GP Kompozit Windshield
Mirror Extensions
OEM Center Stand
Galper Front Sintered Brake Pads
Galper Steel Braided Front Brake Lines
SV Racing Big Brake Adapter Kit
Nissin Gold 4 Piston Front Calipers
( From 2003 Honda CBR 954 RR Fireblade )
Maxima 10/40 PURE Synthetic Oil
post #7 of 7 Old 07-13-2019, 06:24 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Thanks at least I know it is not a problem. It will be a winter project to replace both.
realshelby likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode