Rear brake issue? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 06-17-2019, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
fig
Stromthusiast!

Rear brake issue?

Does the abs apply to the rear brake as well as the front? I only use front brakes. Itís a habit I got into from riding sport bikes. Iíve only used the rear 3 or 4 times. I decided to test it while riding the other evening and nothing. I put it on center stand and spun the wheel, hit the brake pedal and it stopped. Original pads no wear. Original disc no wear. fluid looks fine. Now Iím leaning towards abs. I know nothing about abs. Itís an enigma to me. All I know is it saved my arse a few times. Thought?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-17-2019, 09:57 AM
Fox
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Yep, there's a tonewheel on the rear brake as well. On the centerstand it may throw the test off since I believe the ECU takes the relative wheel speeds into account - some bikes temporarily disable ABS when you run the bike in gear standing still.

If you want to do a live test, I'd try to lock the rear wheel up in a controlled space like a parking lot. I would take it to 10-15mph in a straight line on level pavement and abruptly give a lot of rear brake pressure to try and lock it up - it should skip a bit.
Gert likes this.
post #3 of 12 Old 06-17-2019, 10:17 AM
Stromthusiast!

Depends on the ABS design. Some give a real weird kickback to the pedal. Others provide a smooth application of the brakes with no skidding.
Mine Wee is first generation without ABS.
Gert likes this.

post #4 of 12 Old 06-18-2019, 07:39 AM
Stromthusiast!

Vstrom brakes are quite wooden and don't give much feel.

Your rear brake should work like all rear brakes but as the wheel locks up the ABS will release the pressure then apply the pressure again over & over again.

You can test your brakes with out the ABS functioning by removing the 25a ABS fuse, your brakes should function like a bike without ABS.

Some of the 19 rides in my shed
2014 V2, Snoopy
2009 Wee, Pumbaa the pig
WR450F, The Blue Postie Bike
YZ250N smoker with rego, Stinky.
Yamaha MT09 (FZ09), The Scud missile.
Club Lead not Club Med.
He with the most toys wins.
Out of my depth in a puddle.
Live life on the edge you will see more that way.
Ridding a motorcycle keeps things in balance.
At the end of each trail and at the end of each day history is made.
post #5 of 12 Old 06-18-2019, 02:20 PM
Stromthusiast!

Coming from sportbikes and track riding, I too started riding my new V2 using the front brake only. I have found that I get much less brake dive from the front end if I use some rear brake judiciously when entering corners to settle the chassis. My Honda VFR used to do this for me by activating one piston on the rear caliper when applying the front brake (linked brakes). Some people love to hate them, but it works well on the VFR in my opinion. I always have the ABS cutting in on the rear brake when I ride on dirt and gravel...

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
nvr2old likes this.

2015 DL1000 ADV
post #6 of 12 Old 06-18-2019, 10:12 PM
Stromthusiast!

I'm old school, I leave my traction control and ABS shut down 24/7.

My V2 is the only bike I have at this time with these features so I prefer to keep my skill level high rather than relying on the bike.

Some of the 19 rides in my shed
2014 V2, Snoopy
2009 Wee, Pumbaa the pig
WR450F, The Blue Postie Bike
YZ250N smoker with rego, Stinky.
Yamaha MT09 (FZ09), The Scud missile.
Club Lead not Club Med.
He with the most toys wins.
Out of my depth in a puddle.
Live life on the edge you will see more that way.
Ridding a motorcycle keeps things in balance.
At the end of each trail and at the end of each day history is made.
post #7 of 12 Old 06-19-2019, 09:37 AM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex View Post
I'm old school, I leave my traction control and ABS shut down 24/7.

My V2 is the only bike I have at this time with these features so I prefer to keep my skill level high rather than relying on the bike.
I can't comment much on the TC since I have never ridden a bike with it. However, leaving the ABS on does not engage or interfere in any way while doing proper threshold braking.

Old school here too, and yes I can beat the ABS on straight line dry clean pavement. But, make it slick, or throw some sand or debris down and I can't compete with it.

Off road I used to turn the ABS off even on gravel, but I discovered that when blowing an unknown curve, the front ABS actually does a better job than I can in slowing before running out of real estate.
I still would prefer a rear wheel only {off} in those situations and all off in steep downhill loose stuff.
2thDr likes this.

'15 DL650XT
"You do your own thing in your own time"
post #8 of 12 Old 06-19-2019, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
fig
Stromthusiast!

Iím guessing if I pull the fuse and ride it without it Iím going to get crazy warning lights?
post #9 of 12 Old 06-19-2019, 12:41 PM
Stromthusiast!

It seems to me you first need to figure out if the rear brake is working at all or not. If it has not been used and the fluid has never been changed you may have a compromised ABS module. One method of rectifying it is reported here:
https://www.stromtrooper.com/5404143-post68.html
check for other more detailed posts by by PeteW on the subject.

As a fist step I would look for a parking area with gravel or adjacent to a grassy area and try to engage the front and rear ABS action by over-braking from about 30mph. Just make sur not to dump the bike. You may need many passes but hopefully this may bring the back back to life. If it does change the fluids front and rear (and the clutch fluid for good measure). After the change, go do the ABS exercises again and repeat the fluid changes front and rear. That way you get the crappy old brake fluid out of the ABS module. Harley had a ABS recall because users did not adhere to the recommended service interval and some units failed. Same issues for some of us it seems.
Gert likes this.

Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A
post #10 of 12 Old 06-19-2019, 01:48 PM
$tromtrooper

No, just a steady one on the dash.

'15 DL650XT
"You do your own thing in your own time"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode