Clutch basket fix. All DL1000's should consider this! - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

82Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 Old 06-09-2019, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Clutch basket fix. All DL1000's should consider this!

Short summary::| WOW!:| Replacing the clutch basket made a huge improvement to my bike!

Long story:

This morning my DL1000 had:|174,386km / 108,358 miles. When I got it in July of 2015 the engine reminded me a lot of my 2012 DL650 but with more torque and power. It hasn't felt that
way for a while now. I installed a modified clutch basket that I purchased from Terry at Werksparts:| https://www.werksparts.com/:| Terry's username on Stromtrooper is "realshelby". Terry is incredibly helpful and makes a great product!:| I met him first time
a few weeks ago at the Ironhorse but in the past he has helped me out with some self-inflicted problems.:|:|

To make sure that I could tell what improvements came from the clutch basket I did almost nothing else to the bike today except for new oil (same as I have been using,) and new coolant (Suzuki stuff but suspect it wouldn't matter) and a new air filter. (The filter I replaced was about as dirty as previous ones and never noticed anything like what I noted below.)

After I installed it I went out for a little round the block and did about 160km/ 100 miles with the new clutch basket. Here are my thoughts:

-definitely less vibration. It is still obvious it's a 1000cc twin but much smoother now and more less buzziness.:|It feels much more refined.

-previously when giving power you could feel it hammering itself. Reminds my of a smaller version of taking off in a gravel road that is ridged (corduroy road.). You give it gas but the rear wheel just jumps up and down and little forward motion happens. Not anymore!

-I think because of above it is noticeably more responsive in roll ons in higher gears. At 60 or 70 mph in 6th it jumps when opening the throttle. Didn't notice that before!

-my serious clutch dragging issues appear fixed. When commuting it has been hard to get it into neutral from first when stopped.:| No issue now!:| Just goes right in. It still clunks but that is fairly typical. All shifting is better! (I'm going to change:| a different viscosity oil before I head off to Utah and BC in July and think that might reduce the clunking.) The clutch just seems to be working properly now.:|

The performance just feels so much better since it just feels right at any rev, and gear and any throttle setting feels so eager to please that it's t hard not to want to twist the throttle to feel it!

If you have a DL1000 with some mileage on it thus is a very worthwhile modification!

..Tom

2006 DL650: 202,000 km 125,500 miles, Sold
2012 DL650 139,500+ km, 86,700+ miles. Sold
2015 DL1000 New July 2015 195,000+ km, 121,000 miles.

This can help preventing from cars pulling out in front of you (SMIDSY)
SMIDSY detailed report.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 06-10-2019, 12:16 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Love a happy ending......told ya buddy!!
V-Tom, realshelby and Webfors like this.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #3 of 41 Old 06-10-2019, 12:17 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Thanks for the review. Its on my to do list next winter. And I feel better hearing your story.
V-Tom likes this.

Chris

1. 2004 DL1000
2. Next bike
3. Next bike
4. Next bike

post #4 of 41 Old 06-10-2019, 07:43 AM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

V-Tom, I am quite pleased about the clutch drag being improved. I knew it would help, but wasn't sure it would eliminate it.

That is important more on this post than others. This is a 2014 DL 1000. They have a clutch basket with some changes from the first generation. They also have a completely different inner hub assembly. Many have thought the 2014+ DL 1000 clutch baskets don't have the issues the first generation had. I have modified enough of the 2014+ baskets to know they too have the same design issues. They are "tighter" from the factory and take longer to act up in most cases. One thing that is different with the 2014+ is that they seem too often to have clutch drag issues. I think this comes from the inner hub design. This is when the bike tries to pull forward if you start it in first gear, it doesn't want to shift into neutral at idle, and may take a lot more effort than it should when shifting up and down. Replacing, bleeding the slave cylinder can help. But doesn't always make it right.

The WERKS modified clutch baskets have two bearings. The factory has only one. The two bearings keep everything in alignment so that when the clutch is released the plates can slide apart easily and fully. This seems to be more important on the 2014, and I am hoping it is a permanent fix for the clutch drag issues for V-Toms bike.
Big B, V-Tom, Gert and 3 others like this.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
post #5 of 41 Old 06-10-2019, 08:45 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Great write-up Tom!!! Thanks for your insight.

"There comes a time in the affairs of men, when we must take the bull by the tail and face the situation."
W. C. Fields
post #6 of 41 Old 06-10-2019, 08:51 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
what is the performance increase over a newer bike. (I have 4000 miles) When you say every 1000 should do this, at what point would you recommend changing it out?

2016 DL1000 ABS
post #7 of 41 Old 06-10-2019, 09:03 AM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

There is no exact mileage recommendation. How tight the baskets are when built ( yes, that varies...) and how they are ridden effects how they wear out of tolerance. Once the wear starts, it usually goes downhill faster.

I would say the newer bikes are not really seeing issues before 15,000 miles. Even then they may not be too bad. But if you have ever owned a DL 1000 that had a bad basket, then swapped it out for a new one or modified one, you never forget that difference. You will recognize it much sooner the next time. Metallic noises, bike seeming to be a bit rougher than it used to be, and poor clutch action are all early symptoms.
Big B, V-Tom and Webfors like this.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
post #8 of 41 Old 06-10-2019, 09:21 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I ask because of what V-tom said about finding neutral, never considered that to be a basket thing. My bike since new was a little finicky about getting into neutral, however once i found Mobil 4T it kind of cured that and really no trouble since then and finds neutral very easily. I dont have any issues that i know of, just a little noisy at times but otherwise performs fine.
Webfors likes this.

2016 DL1000 ABS
post #9 of 41 Old 06-10-2019, 11:15 AM
$tromtrooper

This is great news! Thanks for the report Tom. I bet the thicker oil smooths her out even more

I was browsing the internet this weekend for a solution to idle hammer, came across werksparts.com and had no idea at the time it was realshelby's site!

I have no doubt that we will be doing business at some point.
Big B and realshelby like this.

Two wheelz for realz!

Last edited by Webfors; 06-10-2019 at 11:19 AM.
post #10 of 41 Old 06-10-2019, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webfors View Post
This is great news! Thanks for the report Tom. I bet the thicker oil smooths her out even more

I was browsing the internet this weekend for solution to idle hammer, came across werksparts.com and had no idea at the time it was realshelby's site!

I have no doubt that we will be doing business at some point.
Terry gave a nice presentation at the rally, Tom was obviously attending that, plus I had really been putting the bug in his ear too.
V-Tom and Webfors like this.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode