Clutch basket fix. All DL1000's should consider this! - Page 2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 26 Old 06-11-2019, 08:13 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
First thing I did on my Vee. Would have flogged it otherwise. Made it a bike worth keeping.
V-Tom likes this.

"There's a Grey blur and a Green blur. I try to stay on the grey one." Joey Dunlop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 Old 06-11-2019, 08:59 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
has anyone swapped out a basket on a new bike. I guess what im getting at is the performance upgrade worth it over new stock, or should you wait and get some miles on the original?

2016 DL1000 ABS
post #13 of 26 Old 06-11-2019, 09:14 AM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

There is a difference in smoothness between a brand new OEM basket and a modified WERKS clutch basket. The second bearing and precision machining make the modified basket work better. But, it isn't a difference you would realize unless testing them back to back in most cases. I would recommend putting miles on the bike, at least 10,000, and then see what you have. You may not even have the bike by then!
Big B, V-Tom and ERockJL like this.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]

post #14 of 26 Old 06-11-2019, 09:48 AM
$tromtrooper

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERockJL View Post
has anyone swapped out a basket on a new bike. I guess what im getting at is the performance upgrade worth it over new stock, or should you wait and get some miles on the original?
I'd wait till you rack up some miles, you will know when it needs done.......and it will very likely need done.
V-Tom, Webfors and ERockJL like this.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #15 of 26 Old 06-12-2019, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

I have only had this mod since Sunday. I have had a day and a half of commuting which is where I noticed the clutch dragging the most. Clutch drag is largely gone, it just feels like most bikes in that it clunks going into first but the clunk is WAY less than it was. I have absolutely no issues getting into and out of first gear. I have to say this bike feels so much more "sophisticated". I think it is just working the way it should work but when things change over time you don't necessarily notice the change.

I should have done this a LONG time ago!

Now if @realshelby could just fix the slave cylinder leaking issues the bike would be pretty much perfect!

..Tom
Big B, realshelby and Webfors like this.

2006 DL650: 202,000 km 125,500 miles, Sold
2012 DL650 139,500+ km, 86,700+ miles. Sold
2015 DL1000 New July 2015 175,000+ km, 108,500+ miles.

This can help preventing from cars pulling out in front of you (SMIDSY)
SMIDSY detailed report.

post #16 of 26 Old 06-12-2019, 03:15 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I can confirm (my bike is an older one) that this is all 100% accurate. I did mine last fall, and it is night and day how much better the bike is with Terry's clutch basket. I could not possibly be more pleased.
Webfors likes this.
post #17 of 26 Old 06-12-2019, 03:27 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to hoggdoc
Exclamation Leaky Clutch Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Tom View Post
I have only had this mod since Sunday. I have had a day and a half of commuting which is where I noticed the clutch dragging the most. Clutch drag is largely gone, it just feels like most bikes in that it clunks going into first but the clunk is WAY less than it was. I have absolutely no issues getting into and out of first gear. I have to say this bike feels so much more "sophisticated". I think it is just working the way it should work but when things change over time you don't necessarily notice the change.

I should have done this a LONG time ago!

Now if @realshelby could just fix the slave cylinder leaking issues the bike would be pretty much perfect!

..Tom
I'm not 100% sure but a rebuild or replacement with new slave should solve the leak I would think. I have a 2003 DL1000 with about 53K miles and I went through the brakes and clutch system this spring flushing and bleeding all systems. Everything is working great at this time.

BTW I have spoken to Terry a number of times, he is always willing to chat and share his knowledge. I replaced my Clutch Basket with one of Terry's modded units last year. From my POV it was worthwhile expense. I did the work myself with no issues thanks to Terry's YouTube video.
Big B and Webfors like this.

2003 Zuki V-Strom 1000
post #18 of 26 Old 06-12-2019, 03:47 PM
$tromtrooper

I can attest to Terry's responsiveness. Had some back and forth recently on clutch and hammer solutions. Great guy.

Is it sad to say I long for the days of my smooth running and shifting 650?! lol (it's been a whole week)

Glad to hear your 100k+ mile 1000 is running like new again Tom!
V-Tom likes this.

Two wheels for realz!
post #19 of 26 Old 06-12-2019, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoggdoc View Post
I'm not 100% sure but a rebuild or replacement with new slave should solve the leak I would think. I have a 2003 DL1000 with about 53K miles and I went through the brakes and clutch system this spring flushing and bleeding all systems. Everything is working great at this time.

BTW I have spoken to Terry a number of times, he is always willing to chat and share his knowledge. I replaced my Clutch Basket with one of Terry's modded units last year. From my POV it was worthwhile expense. I did the work myself with no issues thanks to Terry's YouTube video.
Terry is a first rate guy! I had some self inflicted clutch issues last year (or was it the year before) and messaged him on his site. Next thing I know he is calling me from Texas (I'm in Canada) on his dime just to try and help me out. And meeting him in person at the Ironhorse did not disappoint!

He asked me a bit about the slave cylinder and has an idea how he might be able to improve it. I sure hope he can do that as I am at the point now where I carry a spare one with me when I travel just in case.

..Tom

2006 DL650: 202,000 km 125,500 miles, Sold
2012 DL650 139,500+ km, 86,700+ miles. Sold
2015 DL1000 New July 2015 175,000+ km, 108,500+ miles.

This can help preventing from cars pulling out in front of you (SMIDSY)
SMIDSY detailed report.

post #20 of 26 Old 06-12-2019, 09:24 PM
Lui
Stromthusiast!

As said before, this is a great modification to the DL1000.

My 08 started with the chudder around 40,000 kms. On March /2017 @ 73,000 kms I sent my clutch basket to Terry.

With the shop manual and Terry's video, removal and reinstallation was easy and the chudder was gone.

I still have the clutch removal tool, EBC CT021, if anyone is in the Toronto area and needs the tool just send me an email.
V-Tom and realshelby like this.

Lui
08-DL1000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode