Looking at a 2014 Vee - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 05-02-2019, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Looking at a 2014 Vee

Hey guys, new member here, and hopefully a soon to be trooper.. I have come across what I think is a decent deal on a '14 dl1000, only downside is that the bike was put down last summer. Seller says they clipped a deer and went for a slide; brunt of the crash was taken by the crash bars/hand guards/side bag. From the pictures I saw it doesn't look to be in rough shape, just some scrapes on the crash bars and hand guard but haven't seen the damaged hard bag.. should I be worried? What should I make sure I check out if I go to see the bike? Maybe I'll just wing it and hope for the best, looks like such a fun bike!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-03-2019, 01:05 AM
Stromthusiast!

You got it - it IS a very fun bike. Love riding the sucker (also a 14 Vee).
post #3 of 11 Old 05-03-2019, 01:57 AM
Stromthusiast!

Make sure fork looks good, also no dent in aluminum subframe, tank exhausts etc. If he hit a deer take a flashlight inside the front and check for any stress cracks around the fork. Subframe is aluminum. I wouldn't pay more than 5k for that, assuming it's kitted out regardless of mileage. Resale will be a bitch. I've layed my bike down going about 30, took almost no damage... Slid for 50ish feet, crash bars and box took the blunt, only scratches but never hit anything.

post #4 of 11 Old 05-05-2019, 08:15 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Garage
It's a minor point, but I bought a 2014 1000 V-Strom a couple of months ago (loving it!) the the previous owner did say that it had been dropped. There were scratches on the crash guards, but nothing other noticeable. A few weeks ago I went to put on heated grips and I noticed that the screw that holds on the end bar was bent pretty good.

Again, not a big deal, but the point is that you're probably going to find lots of little niggles related to the deer incident beyond some of the big stuff that's obvious. Not saying that this couldn't still turn out to be a great deal for you.
post #5 of 11 Old 05-07-2019, 11:20 AM
Stromthusiast!

A few things to eyeball

- Stand far back of the bike and see if the rear mudguard is centered over the rear wheel. If it is not, then the frame is bent
- Check that the handlebars look even on both ends, as in, not bent
- Check the aluminum plate behind each of the foot pegs for cracks (this is easily replaced)
- Spin each wheel and see if they have any side wobble, or any bent rim areas
- Be sure to test ride it to see if it feels off somehow, pulling in one direction, or turns easier one direction over the other. Any wobbles or vibration?
kd70qc likes this.
post #6 of 11 Old 05-07-2019, 11:53 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
You looking at a 2014 Vee? Quick, look elsewhere!!

Jk

Eye inspection, listen to the bike running, and also, full inspection at the dealership with list of all parts that should be replaced for security reasons (they should press hard on the pen once you ask for that lol). A bike that hit a deer and went for a slide needs to be checked thoroughly.
kd70qc likes this.

________
2014 VStrom 1000 Adv SE, because army bikes are more adv
post #7 of 11 Old 05-07-2019, 07:03 PM
Stromthusiast!

Hi,
Welcome to the bulletin board and soon ( one way or another ) to the community. How about taking the bike to a good mechanic/dealership for a thorough evaluation? And remember, there's more than one Vee for sale! :-) Good luck in your endeavors and do let us know how it turns out!
Ride safe all.
gary
PS. just re-read Nulls entire post....... great minds think alike!! :-)
Null 13 likes this.

gary

'14 VStrom 1000
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. - quote attributed to Helen Keller.
post #8 of 11 Old 05-07-2019, 07:36 PM
Stromthusiast!

Those bikes are pretty tough. I'd casually ask if the deer was able to walk away. (you used the term "clipped" a deer)
You don't say if you (or the seller) live near a Suzuki dealership. Maybe you could meet the seller there. The dealer can lookup the VIN and determine if the ECU has had the update.
The dealer can also take a quick look and give you a laundry list of normal "consumables" that it might need. (you didn't mention how many miles on it)

They are really good bikes and there is nothing wrong with shopping in the blems and dented aisle.

Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT ['02 BMW K1200rs SOLD Aug '17]
post #9 of 11 Old 05-07-2019, 10:27 PM
Stromthusiast!

As NV Ducati said, they are tough bikes. By the way NV, love the pic. That would be the Red Bluff side of Hwy 36, no?

Inspect carefully. Ride it... bikes that have bent parts will act that part. As said, turn faster one way than the other. Not track straight. If the bars are bet you can usually feel it as soon as you grab them.... good trick is to grab ahold with your eyes closed... if they feel off, probably bent.

Check motor parts for scratches and cracks... case covers etc.

Also if it all checks out, remember to use that deer incident to barter on the price.

I love my 14 1000....
NVDucati likes this.

THE LIST:
99 TL1000R - Blue and White
02 GSX-R1000 - Blue and white
94 RF900R - Black - SOLD to get....
14 DL1000 - Cool tan color!!! WOOT
post #10 of 11 Old 05-07-2019, 10:37 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonMike View Post
As NV Ducati said, they are tough bikes. By the way NV, love the pic. That would be the Red Bluff side of Hwy 36, no?
True, true. I try to get up there a couple of times a year. Never gets old.
There have been a few times when I overnight in Red Bluff so as to start out early in the morning. Ride to the coast and grab a meal then head back the other way in the afternoon. No sun in my eyes all day.

Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT ['02 BMW K1200rs SOLD Aug '17]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode