Wind Deflector search - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 Old 04-26-2019, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Wind Deflector search

I read a thread two or three days ago by a guy who made his own wind deflectors. They look a lot like the Augustus Deflectors only out of clear plastic. He showed how he sketched the shape on lined paper and then cut it out and shaped the plastic, including heating it and bending it to fit the fairing.

I've searched for this thread again but have been unable to find it (Though I did find one thread w/ more than 72 pages of posts that seems to go on forever on this topic.

Does anyone have a link to that post?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 04-27-2019, 09:20 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
post #3 of 44 Old 04-27-2019, 12:04 PM
Stromthusiast!

I subscribed to this thread to see if there is one for the V2. I can't recall having seen one. I made my own out of Al sheet (gutter stock) that was quite an involved process and not suitable for "production". I never rode the bike without so I have no idea if they have any positive effect or not. Based on my experience with my WEE I just installed it and all is well, no buffeting with the GIVI airflow setup.

<<<<<<<<<< Join us for NEVA19: https://www.stromtrooper.com/events/420909-n-e-v-2019-a.html >>>>>>>>>>>

Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A

post #4 of 44 Old 04-27-2019, 03:13 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratchet View Post
I read a thread two or three days ago by a guy who made his own wind deflectors. They look a lot like the Augustus Deflectors only out of clear plastic. He showed how he sketched the shape on lined paper and then cut it out and shaped the plastic, including heating it and bending it to fit the fairing.

I've searched for this thread again but have been unable to find it (Though I did find one thread w/ more than 72 pages of posts that seems to go on forever on this topic.

Does anyone have a link to that post?

Thanks in advance.
I made several sets of the wind deflectors and they worked great. The design isn't as important as simply blocking up the channel. One post someone used a 1/2 tennis ball duct taped on for bet testing.
post #5 of 44 Old 04-27-2019, 04:16 PM
Stromthusiast!

There is a very long thread about deflectors for 2014 and 2018 model DL1000 somewhere. I remember participating in that thread and ending up by following someone's (spanish guy) advice and installing BMW R1200GS Adventure wind deflectors (tinted).
The original thread was on spanish forum, installed on '14 model and that's what I did. Later when I purchased '18 model installed them just the same way on my new bike. On the spanish forum they are clear but on eBay they sell them clear and tinted:
https://www.vstromclub.es/viewtopic.php?t=74342
Just look at the photos and you'll understand how to install them. However, you have to drill two holes on each side of your bike (I did on mine, I don't care).

Wind coming into helmet from bellow is gone.
Wind hitting my waist and chest is gone.

2017 DL1000 White
2014 DL1000 Red (sold)
2012 DL650 White (sold)
post #6 of 44 Old 04-27-2019, 04:22 PM
Stromthusiast!

Ah, one more thing. What I purchased at that time was what is now for previous model of GS. I can see on eBay that they are different for new GS so may not be good (I don't know). However, here is an example where they look just like mines:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GN-for-BM...MAAOSwyAdclxz7

2017 DL1000 White
2014 DL1000 Red (sold)
2012 DL650 White (sold)
post #7 of 44 Old 04-27-2019, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Thank you, all. I had actually read most of the posts in the Wind Deflector thread - the one with roughly 170 posts - but I faded away towards the end and did not see #167. There is always some element of hijacking a thread, and after a bit the posts tend to repeat earlier comments. Guess I'll have to be more thorough in future searches.

Never saw the tennis ball post. Very interesting.
post #8 of 44 Old 04-27-2019, 11:46 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosnjo View Post
There is a very long thread about deflectors for 2014 and 2018 model DL1000 somewhere. I remember participating in that thread and ending up by following someone's (spanish guy) advice and installing BMW R1200GS Adventure wind deflectors (tinted).
The original thread was on spanish forum, installed on '14 model and that's what I did. Later when I purchased '18 model installed them just the same way on my new bike. On the spanish forum they are clear but on eBay they sell them clear and tinted:
https://www.vstromclub.es/viewtopic.php?t=74342
Just look at the photos and you'll understand how to install them. However, you have to drill two holes on each side of your bike (I did on mine, I don't care).

Wind coming into helmet from bellow is gone.
Wind hitting my waist and chest is gone.
I was checking the pics, thought about doing it... till i saw the needed to drill.
Wish there'd be a different way, perhaps extending from the hand guards? Shrugs

________
2014 VStrom 1000 Adv SE, because army bikes are more adv
post #9 of 44 Old 04-28-2019, 11:10 AM
Stromthusiast!

I had the same dilemma. In my case, I had the problem on higher speed with the wind getting into my helmet from the chin area. It made my eyes watering all the time. At the end, I decided to go ahead and drill. The improvement was so great that when I sold my '14 DL1000 and got '18 model, the day I brought it from the dealer one of the first things to do was to drill holes for deflectors and install Givi Airflow and new mirrors. Never looked back.
As about drilling, it's my bike so I do the things the way I want... I don't care...
reasonable, CAP10, Null 13 and 2 others like this.

2017 DL1000 White
2014 DL1000 Red (sold)
2012 DL650 White (sold)
post #10 of 44 Old 04-28-2019, 03:21 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosnjo View Post
I had the same dilemma. In my case, I had the problem on higher speed with the wind getting into my helmet from the chin area. It made my eyes watering all the time. At the end, I decided to go ahead and drill. The improvement was so great that when I sold my '14 DL1000 and got '18 model, the day I brought it from the dealer one of the first things to do was to drill holes for deflectors and install Givi Airflow and new mirrors. Never looked back.
As about drilling, it's my bike so I do the things the way I want... I don't care...
Thanks for confirming this for me, well hopefully. I have this issue, but not all the time. Its very noticeable in windy/turbulent conditions, passable on calm days. Highways it gets noticeable too.

2016 DL1000 ABS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode