StromTrooper banner

Dropped it today

4K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  Motorpsychology 
#1 ·
I was up riding in Squamish Magic Valley today, pulled off on a dirt road to take a break, and rolled into a kind of camp area that was full of junk, like tires and... well, other junk. The ground was soft dirt and grass, and I tried to turn the bike around, but could not u-turn without riding through bushes, so did a partial turn, then tried to back up, but rear was stuck on something, and put left foot down to try and get off the bike, and the bike got to that magic angle where it goes from weighing nothing, to weighing 500 lbs, and over it went.

Moved the mirror out of position, but that was it.

Once I got the top box off, it was easy to stand up again. The perfect place to lay er down. :)

It was a fantastic day on the Sea to Sky highway, started out sunny, and around 14c, and I had my heated gear and grips working. Even at 14c the wind can make you feel cold after a while.

#6 ·
Thanks for sharing. I admire your attitude.
I was cruising through craigs list this evening and saw a for sale ad for a Harley $2500. Low mileage, always garaged.
He had six pictures of it. This is one. I think he had a different mind set than you

Attachments

#8 ·
I managed to put mine to sleep. Conditions exceeded my skill set. Easier to pick up than I expected. Should have practiced though. Second skill that I had practiced is walking bike in gear not mounted. Third skill was calm reaction and demeanor. A few scuffs and mirror twisty. No major damage. I did have a display problem. Kept cycling as i rode. Control pod had rotated and clutch could hit the switch.

Anybody have a nice checklist of things to inspect after gentle drop?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

#9 ·
Anybody have a nice checklist of things to inspect after gentle drop?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Yeah,....Check your lawn tractor! I lifted my Wee off the stand from the right side to move forward so I could get to the rear tire valve stem for a pressure check. Damn sidestand had dragged and folded up. Let it back down, and it just kept going. lol Bike was fine, but the bar end dented my mower. :grin2:

#13 ·
It was a fantastic day on the Sea to Sky highway, started out sunny, and around 14c, and I had my heated gear and grips working. Even at 14c the wind can make you feel cold after a while.
See, this is why I'm annoyed. I had a 15 minute ride to work, then I sat in my office most of the day, pretended to work and then did a 'long detour' to UBC (2 km) and then rode home. You, on the other hand, rode up the Sea to Sky, gazed at the glaciers, swept some sweepers, had some detours, and while doing doughnuts in the dirt parking lot, had a bit of a tip. Crikey, I'd trade tiresome projects and clients for a tip in the trash any time.

Cold fingers? Good.... Serves you right. (I think there must be a smilie that would fit, but I can't figure out what those damn things mean).

#16 ·
From https://literarydevices.net/simile/
"A simile is a figure of speech that makes a comparison, showing similarities between two different things. Unlike a metaphor, a simile draws resemblance with the help of the words “like” or “as.” Therefore, it is a direct comparison."

So... one option is "His fingers were cold like popsicles" (it actually took me an embarrassingly long time to come up with that simile). Have to say I'm experiencing glacier-gazing envy. Here near Lancaster PA, on the side roads, we dodge Amish horse-drawn buggies and the accompanying piles of horse shit on the roads.

#14 ·
Oh, also meant to say 'sorry to hear of your "oh no!" moment'. I'm waiting for mine, but not looking forward to it. Be nice to get the first service done before I do anything too damaging.

I almost went over a few weeks ago. I stopped, put my foot out & down, but found an inconveniently placed rut. As you said, you get to that magic angle where gravity is not your friend any more. I recovered, but I'm certain it was not a graceful thing to watch.

BTW, is the 'magic valley' someplace specific in Squamish, or is it just the way they see their windy part of the inlet?

#15 ·
... As you said, you get to that magic angle where gravity is not your friend any more. I recovered, but I'm certain it was not a graceful thing to watch.
There does come that "Oh Chit" moment every so often. Especially in those full lock turns discussed earlier. If you keep in mind what keeps a motorcycle from falling over in the first place... it is forward movement... In that tiny spec of time, just before it goes down let the clutch out. Just enough. Might need a couple of shots. Slip it if need be. If you are falling to the left, turn the bars to the right, etc. (just don't run into something else)
Its a dirt bike thing. It isn't magic and it doesn't work under every circumstance. But most slow-speed tip overs are actually no-speed tip overs.

#17 ·
on the side roads said:
I get that in my area too. It's a back road, nice and curvy, but can't enjoy it cuz there's always the possibility of horse poop. And,there have been many accidents at night from cars ramming poorly lit buggies. Occasionally with deadly results. They all appear to be really nice folks. I'm told the night buggy drivers have often been out drinking, and the horses know the way home! Reportedly, the Amish really know how to party!! lol

#18 ·
Oops. Can't even rely on auto-correct. Meant to write 'Smiley', thinking of an emoji. Though a similie would have been more poetic. If this damn computer is so smart, why doesn't it know what I'm thinking?

Forecast here is looking pretty decent, and yes, I will be out on the roads. Not much in the way of buggies or horse poop piles, but I'll find a hazard or two and report back. Or else I will be the hazard.

#22 ·
I
Moved the mirror out of position, but that was it.
Confession is good for the soul. A 17mm wrench is good for the mirror.
@kfh000:
CHECK YOURSELF FIRST! Bleeding, headaches/dizziness/numbness prolonged tingling, back or neck pain- I would lay still and not try to remove helmet* carefully check range of motion of limbs, feeling in extremities
Bike:Check on the fall side(s):
-lever & switchgear operation/function- clutch/brake operation? headlight/horn/kill switch/starter/lights/signals etc?
-mirror adj tightness/condition
-coolant/fuel leaks
footpegs/controls- broken? Operation/contact with cases?
-Wheels/spokes- Bent-broken? brake hdwe, lines/fluid leaks- Chain/sprockets
Forks/ bent-leaks
-Luggage/top cases

*I was very fortunate when I had a high side that resulted in two crushed vertebrae that I had three other riders along who were experienced in get-offs and first aid (fellow Central Roadracing Accoc. staff & racers; I was a corner worker). They gave me the advice (orders!) above and helped me get my hyperventilating under control by throwing a jacket over my face and coaching my breathing until I slowed it down.
This was 35 years ago and I have no back or nerve issues today thanks to those guys and their actions at the scene.

To get back on or never get back on require equal amounts of wisdom and courage.

#23 ·
I get that in my area too. It's a back road, nice and curvy, but can't enjoy it cuz there's always the possibility of horse poop. And,there have been many accidents at night from cars ramming poorly lit buggies. Occasionally with deadly results. They all appear to be really nice folks. I'm told the night buggy drivers have often been out drinking, and the horses know the way home! Reportedly, the Amish really know how to party!! lol
They had autonomous vehicles figgerd out long before Silicon Valley:grin2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.