Dropped it today - Page 2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 23 Old 04-23-2019, 11:52 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfh000 View Post
Anybody have a nice checklist of things to inspect after gentle drop?
Turn signals.

Bar weights.

Ego.
Motorpsychology likes this.

DL1000K6 Two wheels good; four wheels bad.
DRZ400SK17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 Old 04-23-2019, 11:57 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Signals check
Bar ends small scuff
Ego bruised like my knee

I would say some assembly marks or measurements would be nice to verify alignments. I might make a few for the next time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
post #13 of 23 Old 04-24-2019, 01:04 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugzy View Post
It was a fantastic day on the Sea to Sky highway, started out sunny, and around 14c, and I had my heated gear and grips working. Even at 14c the wind can make you feel cold after a while.
See, this is why I'm annoyed. I had a 15 minute ride to work, then I sat in my office most of the day, pretended to work and then did a 'long detour' to UBC (2 km) and then rode home. You, on the other hand, rode up the Sea to Sky, gazed at the glaciers, swept some sweepers, had some detours, and while doing doughnuts in the dirt parking lot, had a bit of a tip. Crikey, I'd trade tiresome projects and clients for a tip in the trash any time.

Cold fingers? Good.... Serves you right. (I think there must be a smilie that would fit, but I can't figure out what those damn things mean).
Bugzy, Spec, DonOhio45813 and 2 others like this.

Damon
2012 Yamaha T-Max 530 Scooter, 2017 DL 650

I'm having an adventure- so, its an adventure bike.
'Umbrianissimo'... Kind of like Italian for, 'Umbria to the max'. (Umbria; small landlocked region in central Italy. North of Roma, south of Firenze).

post #14 of 23 Old 04-24-2019, 08:00 PM
Stromthusiast!

Oh, also meant to say 'sorry to hear of your "oh no!" moment'. I'm waiting for mine, but not looking forward to it. Be nice to get the first service done before I do anything too damaging.

I almost went over a few weeks ago. I stopped, put my foot out & down, but found an inconveniently placed rut. As you said, you get to that magic angle where gravity is not your friend any more. I recovered, but I'm certain it was not a graceful thing to watch.

BTW, is the 'magic valley' someplace specific in Squamish, or is it just the way they see their windy part of the inlet?

Damon

'Umbrianissimo'... Kind of like Italian for, 'Umbria to the max'. (Umbria; small landlocked region in central Italy. North of Roma, south of Firenze).
post #15 of 23 Old 04-24-2019, 09:54 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbrianissimo View Post
... As you said, you get to that magic angle where gravity is not your friend any more. I recovered, but I'm certain it was not a graceful thing to watch.
There does come that "Oh Chit" moment every so often. Especially in those full lock turns discussed earlier. If you keep in mind what keeps a motorcycle from falling over in the first place... it is forward movement... In that tiny spec of time, just before it goes down let the clutch out. Just enough. Might need a couple of shots. Slip it if need be. If you are falling to the left, turn the bars to the right, etc. (just don't run into something else)
Its a dirt bike thing. It isn't magic and it doesn't work under every circumstance. But most slow-speed tip overs are actually no-speed tip overs.

Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT ['02 BMW K1200rs SOLD Aug '17]
post #16 of 23 Old 04-24-2019, 09:59 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
See, this is why I'm annoyed. I had a 15 minute ride to work, then I sat in my office most of the day, pretended to work and then did a 'long detour' to UBC (2 km) and then rode home. You, on the other hand, rode up the Sea to Sky, gazed at the glaciers, swept some sweepers, had some detours, and while doing doughnuts in the dirt parking lot, had a bit of a tip. Crikey, I'd trade tiresome projects and clients for a tip in the trash any time.

Cold fingers? Good.... Serves you right. (I think there must be a smilie that would fit, but I can't figure out what those damn things mean).
From https://literarydevices.net/simile/
"A simile is a figure of speech that makes a comparison, showing similarities between two different things. Unlike a metaphor, a simile draws resemblance with the help of the words “like” or “as.” Therefore, it is a direct comparison."

So... one option is "His fingers were cold like popsicles" (it actually took me an embarrassingly long time to come up with that simile). Have to say I'm experiencing glacier-gazing envy. Here near Lancaster PA, on the side roads, we dodge Amish horse-drawn buggies and the accompanying piles of horse shit on the roads.
Motorpsychology likes this.

2017 DL650 (white)
post #17 of 23 Old 04-24-2019, 10:57 PM
Stromthusiast!

[QUOTE= on the side roads, we dodge Amish horse-drawn buggies and the accompanying piles of horse shit on the roads.[/QUOTE]

I get that in my area too. It's a back road, nice and curvy, but can't enjoy it cuz there's always the possibility of horse poop. And,there have been many accidents at night from cars ramming poorly lit buggies. Occasionally with deadly results. They all appear to be really nice folks. I'm told the night buggy drivers have often been out drinking, and the horses know the way home! Reportedly, the Amish really know how to party!! lol
post #18 of 23 Old 04-25-2019, 11:34 AM
Stromthusiast!

Oops. Can't even rely on auto-correct. Meant to write 'Smiley', thinking of an emoji. Though a similie would have been more poetic. If this damn computer is so smart, why doesn't it know what I'm thinking?

Forecast here is looking pretty decent, and yes, I will be out on the roads. Not much in the way of buggies or horse poop piles, but I'll find a hazard or two and report back. Or else I will be the hazard.

Damon

post #19 of 23 Old 04-25-2019, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
BTW, is the 'magic valley' someplace specific in Squamish, or is it just the way they see their windy part of the inlet?
Actually it is called Paradise Valley, but close enough..

https://www.exploresquamish.com/expl...aradise-valley
post #20 of 23 Old 04-25-2019, 08:17 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugzy View Post
Actually it is called Paradise Valley, but close enough..
Alrighty, then. Sounds like a sunday ride to me. Thanks!

Damon

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode