Hard wiring Tom Tom Rider 400 2014 DL1000 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 04-20-2019, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Hard wiring Tom Tom Rider 400 2014 DL1000

Hey folks!
I am sure this has been discussed in depth, however, I have been searching the forums and cannot seem to find anything definitive. I would like to hard wire the Tom Tom Rider handlebar mount directly to my 2014 1000. I want to leave my 12v free for charging other devices. Can anyone give me some advice for this and/or provide a link to a previous discussion on this topic?
I am pretty sure the rear light is the way to go in terms of attaching and I have heard Eastern Beaver has a plug and play option. Any advice and help would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 04-20-2019, 12:52 PM
Stromthusiast!

I highly recommend the Eastern Beaver PC-8 fuse block, especially if you want something close to "plug and play". I am not the most mechanically, or electrically, inclined but I installed one on my 2011 650 as well as on my 2018 1000 with no problems. On both I connected circuits for battery tender, heated gear, and hard wired GPS. The fuse block makes it super easy to add electrical accessories and have them connected to switched or constant power while keeping everything tidy. The hardest part ends up being routing wires which is really not difficult, just takes a bit of time to get it the way you want them.

Edit: If you search the forum you'll find a bunch of posts about both hard wiring GPS as well as fuse block installs / info. I suggest using Google to search the forum - e.g. "site:stromtrooper.com PC-8 GPS"
V-Tom, 2thDr, Dwrock27 and 1 others like this.

-Cambion
2018 V-Strom 1000XT
2011 V-Strom 650A (Sold)

"Remember, you don't really own anything you can't carry at a dead run."
post #3 of 17 Old 04-20-2019, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator

Defiantly eastern Beaver for plug and play relay kit and their PC8 fusebox (which gives you both switched and unswitched power.)

Everyone's different but I prefer my GPS to not be on switched power. I don't know abut the Tom Tom but my Zumo's are very little power draw the odd time I forget to shut off and nice to have powered when I stop if I want to search things or build routes while stopped.

..Tom
2thDr and JustAnotherDude like this.

2006 DL650: 202,000 km 125,500 miles, Sold
2012 DL650 139,500+ km, 86,700+ miles. Sold
2015 DL1000 New July 2015 165,000+ km, 103,000+ miles.

This can help preventing from cars pulling out in front of you (SMIDSY)
SMIDSY detailed report.

post #4 of 17 Old 04-22-2019, 07:13 PM
Stromthusiast!

Another vote for products from Eastern Beaver. I have a 3 Circuit Solution on my ST1300 (all unswitched), and I just ordered another 3 circuit solution for my Vstrom (also, all unswitched). Great, simple and effective products.

As far as switched vs unswitched, that's up to you. I take the GPS off every time so I'm not worried about it being powered all the time, plus I want external powerlets or other cables to be on all the time for charging/multimeter checks. And I like to (sometimes) run a wire under the topbox to charge electronic devices while riding, or while at a rest stop.

Alexi
post #5 of 17 Old 04-23-2019, 07:19 AM
Stromthusiast!

+1 on the EB fuse block. Get it. You'll be glad you did
post #6 of 17 Old 04-23-2019, 11:42 AM
Stromthusiast!

I have the Zumo and it is wired directly to my battery, I hated the thing wanting to shut down every time I turned the ignition off.

If you want it on switched power you can just use a piggyback spade fitting and get your power from the horn, a quick & easy solution.

Some of the 19 rides in my shed
2014 V2, Snoopy
2009 Wee, Pumbaa the pig
WR450F, The Blue Postie Bike
YZ250N smoker with rego, Stinky.
Yamaha MT09 (FZ09), The Scud missile.
Club Lead not Club Med.
He with the most toys wins.
Out of my depth in a puddle.
Live life on the edge you will see more that way.
Ridding a motorcycle keeps things in balance.
At the end of each trail and at the end of each day history is made.
post #7 of 17 Old 04-23-2019, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Thanks for the info!
I am completely clueless when it comes to electronics! If i only plan on wiring the GPS and POSSIBLY another 12v down the road, would the 3 circuit solution suffice or do I definitely need the PC8? Right now I don't plan on getting additional lighting or heated gear.
post #8 of 17 Old 04-23-2019, 12:18 PM
Stromthusiast!

An Eastern Beaver PC-8 is probably your best bet, unless you're going to go whole hog and buy one of those computerized power distribution blocks that don't use fuses and instead use electronic circuit breakers. Those are smaller than the PC-8, but way more expensive.

This is the page for the relevant parts for your bike: https://easternbeaver.com/Main/Bike_...om/vstrom.html

The PC-8 allows you to have different power options. You can make everything switched by running through a relay, or everything "always hot" by skipping the relay and running directly from the battery, or even a combination of the two; the PC-8 has the option of having two circuits always hot and the rest switched. The PC-8 gives you some flexibility, too; you might later decide to add other accessories like heated grips or additional power outlets, and the PC-8 has room for this expansion.

The nice thing about the PC-8 is that Eastern Beaver makes it plug and play. You don't need to splice wires or attach quick connects, and the instructions are pretty clear. I'm not an electronics guy at all, and I installed both the PC-8 and their headlight relay with no issues.

There are other power distribution blocks besides the PC-8; Blue Sea makes a nice one, as does CenTech. But for total ease of installation, I don't think you can go wrong with Eastern Beaver.

The simplest way is to wire the GPS mount directly to your battery with an in-line fuse, and that's fine if that's the only accessory you'll ever install. Installing a fuse block is kind of planning for the future. Keep in mind that there can be a parasitic drain from accessories attached directly to a battery, though, so if your bike sits for long periods of time with something like that hard wired to the battery, there's the potential for your battery draining.

"No matter where you go, there you are."
post #9 of 17 Old 04-23-2019, 12:23 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwrock27 View Post
Thanks for the info!
I am completely clueless when it comes to electronics! If i only plan on wiring the GPS and POSSIBLY another 12v down the road, would the 3 circuit solution suffice or do I definitely need the PC8? Right now I don't plan on getting additional lighting or heated gear.
You don't definitely need the PC-8. The three circuit solution would work, and if you later wanted to add a PC-8, you will have already installed the wiring and relay that you'd need for the PC-8. I like the PC-8 for the convenience; it makes for a very neat and orderly installation. This is what mine looked like under the seat on my old 2012 DL650:

"No matter where you go, there you are."
post #10 of 17 Old 04-23-2019, 08:56 PM
Stromthusiast!

My Zumo has a 0.02amp parasitic drain.

That is when directly hooked to the battery and no unit in the cradle it pulls a constant 0.02amps

Some of the 19 rides in my shed
2014 V2, Snoopy
2009 Wee, Pumbaa the pig
WR450F, The Blue Postie Bike
YZ250N smoker with rego, Stinky.
Yamaha MT09 (FZ09), The Scud missile.
Club Lead not Club Med.
He with the most toys wins.
Out of my depth in a puddle.
Live life on the edge you will see more that way.
Ridding a motorcycle keeps things in balance.
At the end of each trail and at the end of each day history is made.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
gps hardwire , gps mount , tom tom rider 400 , vstrom 1000

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode