Front tire wears out before rear - Page 2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL1000A - 2014-2016 DL1000A - 2014-2016 (L4-L6)

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 32 Old 04-12-2019, 12:46 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVDucati View Post
One of the reasons the fronts last longer than the rears is that the front does fewer revolutions per mile. So your results indicates some sort of error. (or you simply never use the rear brake in the city)

You might look to see if the tire is mounted evenly (radially) around the rim.
There is likely a thin raised rib on the tire next to the rim that can give you a visual. Otherwise you can fabricate a makeshift dial indicator and spin the tire to check if it is radially out-of-round.

The other thing to check is how much balance weight did the front require (or any chance the weights fell off?)
One of the main reasons why the back tire gets used faster is directly linked to your right hand.
Even if i'm hard on my back tire, a front tire that doesn't last me at least 20000kms is abnormal.

________
2014 VStrom 1000 Adv SE, because army bikes are more adv
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 32 Old 04-12-2019, 04:37 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Null 13 View Post
One of the main reasons why the back tire gets used faster is directly linked to your right hand.

Even if i'm hard on my back tire, a front tire that doesn't last me at least 20000kms is abnormal.
Exactly..

"One of the reasons the fronts last longer than the rears is that the front does fewer revolutions per mile. So your results indicates some sort of error. (or you simply never use the rear brake in the city)"

This comment makes no sense to me at all. I wear out rear tires 2:1 because of the throttle...

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

2015 DL1000 ADV
post #13 of 32 Old 04-12-2019, 05:42 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Null 13 View Post
LOTS of heavy braking on the front tire accomplishes the same thing to the front tire as heavy acceleration does to the rear, but OP's case does seem to be a very accelerated example...
NVDucati and Motorpsychology like this.

~Mark

2015 DL1000A
2005 YZ250

post #14 of 32 Old 04-12-2019, 08:07 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakor82 View Post
So I have about 7k on Michelin pilot road4trail. Front tire down to wear bars, rear tire still has a few thousand left. I've never worn a front tire first, I do ride in urban environment alot, I have done a good bit of hard breaking, and it's not air pressure I'm religious at checking bi weekly, 38 42. Just kinda suprised. Anyone have similar wear?
Maybe it's the 400lb toolbag under the beak
Seriously, It sounds like you have a defective tire. I'd check with your Michelin dealer where you got the tire. there should be a prorated warranty on the tire or possibly a "good faith" replacement program in place.

"It is amazing what you can accomplish if you are not concerned with who gets the credit"- Patrick Griffin
18 wheels move the cargo, 4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul -unknown
People who confuse the words "burro" and "burrow" don't know their ass from hole in the ground
post #15 of 32 Old 04-12-2019, 08:09 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2thDr View Post
Exactly..
"One of the reasons the fronts last longer than the rears is that the front does fewer revolutions per mile. So your results indicates some sort of error. (or you simply never use the rear brake in the city)"

This comment makes no sense to me at all. I wear out rear tires 2:1 because of the throttle...
branthopolis; "LOTS of heavy braking on the front tire accomplishes the same thing to the front tire as heavy acceleration does to the rear, but OP's case does seem to be a very accelerated example... "

As branthopolis points out (for the sake of discussion) If the rear acceleration and the front braking scrubbing were equal ... my point was simply that the 19" front makes fewer revolutions per mile than dose the 17" rear.
While tire brands have slightly different circumferences, for the Avon TrailRiders I use, the math works out like this:
Front 26.1 Circumference 81.9956. 791 rev/mile
Rear 24.8. circumference 77.9115. 840 rev/mile
Over 6000 miles the rear tire does about 294000 more revolutions than the front.

Obviously, digging out of a corner, turn after turn, eats up a tire. I am not saying that isn't true. But the OP is doing his riding in a urban setting.
Always happy to be corrected if my math is wrong.
Motorpsychology likes this.

Member: AMA
Current Rides: '14 DL1000 ADV, '06 SV650N, '93 900CBRR, '74 Ducati 750GT ['02 BMW K1200rs SOLD Aug '17]
post #16 of 32 Old 04-12-2019, 08:53 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by branthopolis View Post
LOTS of heavy braking on the front tire accomplishes the same thing to the front tire as heavy acceleration does to the rear, but OP's case does seem to be a very accelerated example...
Unless you lock the front wheel often, there's no way the front tire should get the same stress as the rear.
The rear one has most of the weight, and puts power to the road. That's why i set traction control to 2 when i want the back tire to last a little more, having the little light flicker all the time reminds me to let off the throttle.

In twisties, i had the front wheel slide a little maybe 2-3 times. The rear one? A little too often

________
2014 VStrom 1000 Adv SE, because army bikes are more adv
post #17 of 32 Old 04-12-2019, 10:48 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVDucati View Post
branthopolis; "LOTS of heavy braking on the front tire accomplishes the same thing to the front tire as heavy acceleration does to the rear, but OP's case does seem to be a very accelerated example... "

As branthopolis points out (for the sake of discussion) If the rear acceleration and the front braking scrubbing were equal ... my point was simply that the 19" front makes fewer revolutions per mile than dose the 17" rear.

While tire brands have slightly different circumferences, for the Avon TrailRiders I use, the math works out like this:

Front 26.1 Circumference 81.9956. 791 rev/mile

Rear 24.8. circumference 77.9115. 840 rev/mile

Over 6000 miles the rear tire does about 294000 more revolutions than the front.

Obviously, digging out of a corner, turn after turn, eats up a tire. I am not saying that isn't true. But the OP is doing his riding in a urban setting.

Always happy to be corrected if my math is wrong.
I get what you are saying and understand the math, but in practice all my sport bikes have equal diameter wheels and the 2:1 wear ratio still holds true. Now pure track riding is another story...hard braking into every corner takes its toll on the front tire resulting in more equal wear. On the street, I ride "the pace" and use engine braking more than my pads and rotors...

I expect in this case he is overinflating his front and riding mostly upright with lots of braking in traffic. Difference in wheel diameter is a not a significant contributing factor IMO.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
NVDucati likes this.

2015 DL1000 ADV

Last edited by 2thDr; 04-12-2019 at 10:53 PM.
post #18 of 32 Old 04-12-2019, 10:57 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakor82 View Post
So I have about 7k on Michelin pilot road4trail. Front tire down to wear bars, rear tire still has a few thousand left. I've never worn a front tire first, I do ride in urban environment alot, I have done a good bit of hard breaking, and it's not air pressure I'm religious at checking bi weekly, 38 42. Just kinda suprised. Anyone have similar wear?

Not the same tyre but the same brand - I have Michelin Anakee 3 this time and will get 20,000 kms (12,500 miles) out of them but the front will be the clincher.
I've usually had rears go first but this time the front is struggling to match the rear tyre mileage
post #19 of 32 Old 04-12-2019, 11:05 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorpsychology View Post
Maybe it's the 400lb toolbag under the beak
Seriously, It sounds like you have a defective tire. I'd check with your Michelin dealer where you got the tire. there should be a prorated warranty on the tire or possibly a "good faith" replacement program in place.

extremely unlikely anyone could claim a defective tyre if it runs true and has no issues other than wearing a bit faster on the front than the rear.
A dealer would think the complainant has rocks in his head, not least of all because he's done 11,200 kms on it. It would certainly fuel morning tea joviality in the dealer lunchroom
post #20 of 32 Old 04-12-2019, 11:13 PM
Stromthusiast!

Meh...I run A3s now. I always get about 10K miles rear, 7K miles front. About 3 fronts to 2 rears.

In the past I used A2s and Tourance. I would get 10K miles rear, 15K miles front.

"If its not broke yet, it can still be fixed"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode